Large Scale Central

Craig's 2024 MIK T-D Feeds Hay Storage Shed

the guy you have linked to, is no farmer.
his price calculation is wrong.
when i needed a hay-baler, i bought one for the small bales.

when moving big round bales one needs a tractor with frontloader, a big trailer and an expensive driver.
for moving small bales you need a wheelbarrow driven by a halfwit, or a wife, a cheap farmhand and a pickup truck.

in the dry seasons we were feeding about 900 head of cattle with hay.

the difference between theory and reality…

there is a company, that makes racetracks in 1:32 - Carrera - they produce(d) plastic hayballs.

Looks good Craig and should be a reasonable project to get done on time. Not and overly complicated building. Once you hammer out the final dimensions I think you will be rockin’ and rollin’

There’s a lot of small strips that will need to be cut!

Funny thing I just found and saved a 3d print file for the roof vents the other day. One less thing to worry about.

Here’s my blueprints. HO scale foamcore mockup with some basic dimensions. The reason I did it in HO is I’ve been working on a full mockup of the mill in HO as well to see how parts fit so it made sense to just add.

I did a quick check and yep I’ve got plenty of 1/8" styrene still buried up top. I’ll probably dig that out when we get closer to the start date along with whatever size I can find. I there’s some .060 or .040 up there as well that I can use for the sheet metal.
[/url]
[/url]

The vents I was previously talking about. Roof Vents for G Scale Building by ShadowVFX - Thingiverse

Not sure when I’ll print these. I really want to dig around and see if I can’t also find some decent files for assorted stuff to fill the inside of the feed mill store. Brooms, shovels, etc

Problem is, I’ve never really looked for files online before so I don’t even know the good sites look for stuff like that.

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can get into the garage and do some quick organizing and pull some sheets styrene down from the overhead storage. It a bit of a pain to get too but it stores nicely.

1 Like

Craig if you are interested I will buy some of them if you want to fill out a build plate with them.

How many do you want? I’ll just throw them in the mailbox eventually… :joy:

I was thinking about printing a couple to make sure first and then going for a dozen or so.

Craig,

Yeah, Thingiverse is like Amazon… you have a good chance of finding something there, however Printables is starting to be the go-to place to find things and has excelled at things Thingiverse used to do quite well, but stopped doing. You may find many users have migrated there, but here is good summary article. Alternatives to Thingiverse.

Down the list is Grabcad which is worth looking at if you just can’t find something engineered.

For objects that would be in a store, I just remembered McMaster Carr has 3d files of a lot of their stuff.

So say I need a shelf full of plumbing bits… just search on McMaster Carr for the bits, download the file, scale and done.

1 Like

And if you just want ONE place, consider Yeggi Search Engine for 3D printable Models…

Pondering ideas about the door opening on the hay shed… Might be time for Craig to over complicate his build like normal.

It wouldn’t be right if it wasn’t over engineered.

I haven’t even started yet. On anything. CAD or styrene.

Tomorrow looks to be a finish the pinewood derby cars type of day and reorganize/sort the garage.

So maybe Tuesday night is the first time I might have a chance at breaking ground on stuff?

Last year’s garage picture:

1 Like

Got the boys to paint up their derby cars today so that gave me a bit of room/time to start cutting shapes.
I got the 2 end walls cut plus a interior brace (I’ll make at least one or 2 more of those) and stared at some
.060 x .156 and .060 x .188 strips to see if they look reasonable for the sheet metal pattern.

For thin stuff like this, I’ve noticed .060" seems to work better.

I’m not 100% sure on the depth of these strips. I might lay out a .060 x .125 strip and see how it looks. Regardless of the final width I’ll cut them all out on the Brynes saw like I did last year for the Pawn Shop building.

I still need to dig out the big sheet for the side walls and roof. Maybe tomorrow.

Oh and yah I still have to build my car… I think I’m going to make it into a LEGO block so all I need to do is cut some scrap tubing and glue it on. Nothing like a little time crunch for that project as well.

Craig, most of those rolled roofing/siding panels had a rib depth of 1 to 1 and 1/4 inches.
I’ll let you do the math :grinning:

That little? Hummm.

Time to dig out the smaller stuff (.060 x .040) or maybe even some .040 x .040…

Since you talked about the boy’s cars twice, I for one would like to see their Pinewood racers when they are done. I have been a scout leader for over 35 years. I am one of the check in officials for our races.

We also run an “Old Timer’s race.” That’s my orange car in the #60 spot. Two cuts, easy to sand smooth for paint. Plastic spoon minus the handle for the cockpit. I didn’t patent the design so you can copy it if you want. :grin:

Will do. Not officially a Boy Scout derby but an Awana Derby. Pretty much the same rules and cars. :joy:

I fall under the “let the kids have fun” instead of “let Dad build the car for the kid”.

I’ll have to show them the semi trucks as my middle child wanted to build a semi and trailer. Told him umm you can’t race it like that.