Large Scale Central

Corner Office

Since I decided to put the 5 & 10 on a corner facing my house, I still need another building for the other corner. Poking around the web, I found this old bank located in Poulan Georgia.

I don’t need another bank, but I like the look of the building and it seems a LOT easier to make than the 5 & 10. :wink: I plan for this to be an office. First, I created a mock up in cardboard.

For this one, I thought I’d try Scale Art Models windows and doors. On the web site, they have the dimensions in scale inches and actual inches, making it easy to print them out to exact size. I cut them out and taped them in place. I’m still undecided about whether or not I should leave the paneling underneath the windows. I kind of like the look, especially since I’ve decided to NOT use the pillar - it just looks out of place. Hopefully the corner won’t collapse without that support. :o One of the things I like about the prototype is the interesting brickwork. I used some 6mm PVC board for the lower part of the wall, and a combination of 6mm and 1/8" PVC to form the top pieces. These are glued in place using my Weld-On 16. I wish I had ordered some 1/4" PVC board, as it would make some of the measurements a bit easier; but I already had the 6mm stuff in stock.

Next, I cut some 1/8" stuff into 1/8" wide strips and glued them in place to form the alternating brick look.

I added some thin strips of styrene to the walls. Later this will all be covered by brick sheet strips to give the look of different layers.

I won’t add the final layers until I’m ready to do all four sides. For now, I put in the inner layers.

Now I just have to wait for my order of windows and doors to arrive before I cut out the openings.

Bruce,
I really like what you and Rooster do modeling actual buildings. Makes them much more interesting.
Ralph

That one’s rather “unique”. Kinda plain, but unique nonetheless.

I’m running out of space for more buildings.

Bruce, I am totally in awe of your building skills, and that you share your procedures with us newbies so that we might read and learn. However, on the original, I’m sure that the pillar was totally functional, that would be a lot of weight to not be supported. And, with such a plain looking building, it adds a touch of class in homage to the big city banks with all of their fancy architecture and marble. Just my opinion, and of course, I could be wrong! :slight_smile:

Bruce, it’s interesting to see that in the prototype, the bricks at the diagonal corners have gaps, just like the ones on my chimneys :slight_smile: Lookin’ good though. Gee, you are one prolific modeler.

I got the windows from Scale Art Models (SAM) on Friday - not bad since I ordered late Monday (a holiday)! I decided to cut the panels off; I’ll have the brick beneath them, eventually. Here, the two outside corners have been glued together and the windows temporarily inserted to check for fit.

(https://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Structures/Clarke/IMG_0185.JPG)

I’m going to go ahead and prime the windows and doors with Krylon, then I’ll paint them with some exterior paint I have. After thinking more about it, I decided that I agree with William and some others - that corner needs support. I’ve used the cake decorating columns for my bank (http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=8620) , but they’re just too big and fancy for this building. I found some 3/8" aluminum rod in my scrap box; I’ll use this for the “pillar”. The front doors are also from SAM. They come with nice door knobs they you glue in place.

(https://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Structures/Clarke/IMG_0190.JPG)

(https://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Structures/Clarke/IMG_0195.JPG)

The back door comes from Garden Texture Models (with door knob from SAM), and the rear window is from Grandt Line - it’s left over from my Miracle Chair Company (http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=14179). The side window is left over from a Pola kit, (I think). It’s been quite some time since I used commercial windows and doors. :wink: It does make everything go a tad faster. I’m thinking I’ll use that chimney; I’m not sure what I’ll use for venting.

That is really looking great!! Thanks for posting your progress, fun to see it all coming together!

That’s gonna be one fancy town by the time your done. Nice building.

Another great building, Bruce… :slight_smile:

Looks great! Can’t wait to see more.

-Kevin.

The new pillar looks good. The marble pillar didn’t match the style of the building.
Ralph

That’s really coming together.

Bruce:

Another great building!

From the prototype pix, it appears that the marble column was part of the original structure. Banks, financial and government institutions frequently used marble columns, facings and counter tops as a demonstration of their solidity and permanence. That even when the rest of the structure was built from something less permanent like the bricks in this building.

Of course the later use of this structure as an office building would not require such an adornment. Perhaps the original column was damaged or destroyed in an accident (Headline: Car Leaves Road; Crashes Into First Valley Bank; No Injuries Reported) and was replaced with something less elegant.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Looks good Bruce. I always loved your choices of buildings.

I like the use of the scrap’s and left overs particularly the PP brick recessed in …very odd building
:slight_smile:

Wow, another cool building well on its way to completion!

How do you get your building done so fast??? It would take me a week to just get the windows and doors cutouts done.
You are doing a impressive job on the building

Rodney

Rodney Edington said:
How do you get your building done so fast??? It would take me a week to just get the windows and doors cutouts done. You are doing a impressive job on the building

Rodney

Perhaps, but you are a master at metal - a skill that very few of us have.

This is a nice little building Bruce.

Jon Radder said:
Rodney Edington said:
How do you get your building done so fast??? It would take me a week to just get the windows and doors cutouts done. You are doing a impressive job on the building

Rodney

Perhaps, but you are a master at metal - a skill that very few of us have.

This is a nice little building Bruce.

Isn’t that the truth? I’d love to have that metal working skill!

Anyway, the PVC stuff is VERY easy to work with. Just a few minutes with a knife and a straight edge and I have my opening.

Got the brickwork mostly finished. The problem with the Precision Products sheets is that they are only about 14 3/4" wide. This means that I have to have a few joints. In the past I have hidden the joints with pillars, but there’s no place to hide them this time. I used some butt joints and they turned out OK. I still need to do a bit more sanding, but I don’t think you’ll see them once painted. There’s one on the right side, one on the back and several on the left side; I didn’t quite have enough brick sheets so I pieced it together. It won’t really matter as that side will be up against another building eventually.

There’s a bunch of open brick ends around the windows, front doors and upper detail. I’m filling them with some JB Weld. I probably don’t really need to do this; once painted you’ll only see them if you’re really close.