Large Scale Central

Cooking fun foods

No, its raw unpasteurized and for human consumption. And this is why it is getting so expensive. In Idaho hobby farms can sell raw milk for human consumption. But it has to be a private party sale, not retail. We have the same requirement for raw meat. I can buy non USDA inspected meat as long as it is a private party sale from you the farmer and me the consumer. It can not be sold retail It can pass through the hands of a third party processor/butcher but it the butcher themselves can not sell the meat.

When it comes to milk, at some point a hobby farmer becomes a dairy, and then they can still sell raw unpasteurized milk but their facility and operation must pass inspection and testing. The person I currently buy milk from is not under that level of scrutiny. They have no oversight as far as I know. The people I bought from previously where a state certified “dairy” but still did not have to pasteurize, they could sell raw milk that was not pasteurized but they had to not only advertise but label it as such.

So I am not sure where the lines are drawn between a person selling me some milk they have and when they become a dairy operation. And I am guessing , and it is a pure guess, that the pasteurization line comes into play when it passes into the hands of a third party retailer. ALL milk, even the raw milk I have seen, in stores is all pasteurized. So I suspect this is where that line is drawn. But as to the line between one private person selling another private person some milk they produced I am not sure.

Idaho is pretty hands off when it comes to all sorts of private party sales and what they consider private party sales to be.

***edited to say, I look specifically for unpasteurized milk when it comes to making anything cultured. For all practical purposes I do the pasteurization when I process it by heating it up. You want the live cultured bacteria and yeast in many cases to ferment the product. Yes you do add back in cultures in most cases, but everything I have read about DIY cheese making it says to use unpasteurized if you can get it.

Sounds like you know your milk. I should have fully read your post before jumping in with mine. I wish I had a source of it. I can legally have goats where I live but it would not be advisable.

Yes, I believe you are correct. We have a few places here in RI that are licensed to sell “Raw” milk but it’s not truly as it’s pasteurized.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I see in our stores. And I am not real sure at that point what constitutes “Raw” milk from “whole” milk. To me, and for what I use it for, “Raw” means unpasteurized straight from the udder.

Cliff,
How are you planning on cooking that stuff ?

Its Japan, you eat it all raw

I’m gonna bite my tongue on that comment!

Yep, raw…

Had some nice prime rib last night, that was cooked (some):

It came with gravy & butter… On bean sprouts to balance things out. :grin:

2 Likes

All this talk about raw milk, for over 5 years I did farm pickup of milk and delivered it to a creamery for processing. The company I worked for had a herd of Jersey cows. Higher butterfat content than Holsteins, more money but less milk per cow.
We were allowed to take 2 gallons of milk per week and my mom had a field day with the milk I brought home, we had all sorts of things she made from it but favorite was the peach ice cream!!! WOW that was good stuff , fresh high butterfat milk and fresh off the tree peaches.

Back to trucking , with the sampling I had to do before loading,I had a clean legal ability to dip a pint of milk from any dairy I wanted, never went thirsty and always have loved milk!

1 Like

Back to eating, my Osaka colleagues wanted to to do an all-you-can-eat meat lunch, which involved a small bbq thing in the middle of each table.

You just put the meat on, ate the meat you put on earlier, and repeat.

Was very good, and only about $15 each, only a little more than McDonalds.

However, I felt like the python that had just eaten his monthly pig… and had a hard time staying awake for the next 5 hours of work. But a Coke helped with that.

Sorry for squatting on your thread Devon, but since I have no RR news I don’t now where else to post this, haha!

I’ve heard of this style of dinning before. I always thought it would be a neat concept.

I know the feeling

We sometimes dine at Korean BBQ establishments with those tables. I first visited with a colleague for lunch. We looked at the prices and they were so low we thought the portions must be small so ordered extra. Quickly learned of our mistake when TWO waiters returned with heaping piles of assorted meats and placed them on the grill. After making a slight dent another serving was delivered to us. We managed to finish it all taking 2 hours and left in gastro distress. The place is called Sura and they fine you $10 for each 8oz left .

Devon, it is called “yakiniku.” There are a number of restaurants here that feature this style of dining. They often come with other sides to complement the meat.

Eric

2 Likes

This is pretty authentic to Korea! I lived there for over a year, and eating until bursting was the norm! In Korea (and hear), the meat will come with a variety of kimchi and small bowls of rice. You take the meat, place it in a cabbage leaf, add other grilled or pickled goodies, roll it like a burrito, eat it, and repeat! Beware the obligatory soju, though…

Eric

2 Likes

I thought I better post today’s experiment, before Devon posts his Candied Bacon Ice Cream* recipe. And it is something you wouldn’t make and may probably take for granted… a breakfast item.

When we go to America, Herself is entranced by the roadside diner scene, and she though doesn’t eat breakfast here, she does if there is an American Diner nearby. If we can sit at the counter in front of the activity, we do that but otherwise it’s a booth. Denny’s, ok. The Interenational House of pancakes better. Waffle House, stop-the-car! I thought these diners were supposed to be near a rail line, but I digress…

Jimmy Dean is her American hero, not for acting but… for the humble breakfast sausage. We can’t get it here and you know if you look for a breakfast sausage recipes, google often matches it as an ingredient. Usually the recipe starts with “take one pound of your favourite breakfast sausage and add…”

The trouble is, in recipes we found for breakfast sausage, the authors usually add a minor spice, (nutmeg vs clove vs marjoram) and the pinch of sugar (white, brown, maple) for browning purposes, and it’s not quite the same. Today’s experiment was rosemary.

Cubed Pork Belly

Canadian Shape and Store

Mini test patties.

So today we took 3kg of pork belly and assaulted it with purple sage and thyme from the garden, salt, pepper, cayenne, and left it cubed and marinating overnight. (Thank you Kenji Lopez-Alt)

Did some tests, then packed up in Canada’s second most famous invention, the Shape&Store. We maybe got close to Jimmy Dean, but who knows? We have not been back since two years before the pandemic.

…and it’s time for the candied bacon recipe, anyway.

Bill sausage making is an art. There are shelves of books written on the subject. My father-in-law and more accurately his dad are excellent sausage makers. I have a decent sausage recipe. I tend to flop between a heavy sage breakfast sausage or a maple and brown sugar breakfast sausage. And yes there is always one spice that usually sets one off from another. I prefer coriander.

Now as for the ice cream. I did buy some heavy cream and some bacon. I will need to pick up some almond milk (I am lactose intolerant not severely not like an allergy buy it does camp me up so a little heavy cream is alright). The recipe I found sounds very interesting and want to give my spin on it. They cooked the bacon with it coated in brown sugar to “candy” it and also add brown sugar to the ice cream. Sounds delightful. Maybe this weekend.

This is for Bill. . .

Don’t tell the wife but I left work early to make a romantic dinner for my wonderful bride.

Hand pulled egg noodles, grilled chicken and veggies with a creamy tomato cheese sauce. Salad with a homemade balsamic vinegerette dressing, and cheese bread. And a bottle of wine.

Sorry Bill for desert I made chocolate yogurt pudding topped with raspberries and whipped cream. But I promise to make candied bacon ice cream this weekend.

Nice! Where are the cricut place cards?