Large Scale Central

Cooking fun foods

The horror. That is what you make when you can’t cook

It’s a very nice! Chenquieh

So I for the new year we switch from regions of the world to a monthly ingredient. One ingredient that each person then creates a dish or dishes around. In January we did winter squash. February we did chocolate. And for March we did raw milk.

I have a fondness for raw milk and all the things that can be made from scratch. I bought 3 gallons of whole raw milk from a local small farm. From that I separated the cream and milk. And created an entire meal that used some portion of the milk as an ingredient. With most of the milk I made cheese curds that will be made into fried garlic and dill cheese curds. With a portion of the cream I made butter and got buttermilk. For the next coarse we are having salad with homemade buttermilk ranch dressing. With a portion of the milk not used in the cheese I made yogurt. I made a rotisserie bacon wrapped rolled flank steak that will be served with a yogurt mustard sauce. Served with the steak we are having homemade buttermilk biscuits made with the remaining buttermilk and homemade butter. For dessert I used the rest of the cream and some store bought lactose free whole milk and made chocolate chip ice cream. From the whey from the cheese I made a caramel sauce for ice cream

Seasoned cheese curds

Ranch dressing

Butter

Biscuits

Buttermilk

Yogurt

Yogurt mustard sauce

Steak going in

Ranch dressing

Ice cream

Caramel sauce

I will post a pic of the prepared meal when its all finally put together.

That all looks awesome. Ya done good, my friend. Now, what time is dinner, I certainly don’t want to be late :grin:

Dinner is served

1 Like

Looks great! Better go easy on the chocolate chip ice cream!!

It dang near killed me

We’ll be right over!

I’ve added bulgogi noodles to my list of quick meals. Takes about 15-20 minutes.

I chose the theme. And for someone who is lactose sensitive its kinda a crazy choice, but what can I say I love milk. Funny though I have no issue with cultured milk products. I talked with my Doc about it and he doesn’t think I have a true milk allergy. But rather my gastric bypass surgery made me sensitive to the lactose. Not even really intolerant just sensitive. So things like cheese, yogurt, even butter, and lactose free milk don’t bother me. Its raw, or whole milk products that are uncultured.

that looks good Bob.

Have you tried raw Goat milk? Many who have issues with lactose claim they are fine with goat milk. Humans have been consuming goat milk for far longer than cow. Even now, most of the world is consuming goat milk.

1 Like

Its actually sorta funny you mentioned this. There is quite a funny story around goats milk really (well if it was your life at least). When I was 2 years old we moved from the city of Orange, CA to the town of Norco, CA. back in the early 70s Norco was very much just a town. It was a hold over from a bygone era. And we lived on a small hobby farm. Back then (at least) in Norco the “sidewalks” were dirt horse trails and livestock was common in neighborhoods. So we had this little half acre is all that we crammed a farm onto. My sisters were heavy into 4H. And the two main animals they raised for that were Nubian milk goats and pigs.

I grew up milking goats and this is where I learned to love all things milk. My mom would separate the cream and made butter and homemade ice cream with it and our staple dairy product was goats milk. When we moved from CA to North Idaho we had to give up farm life and become city folk. And there were not a whole bunch of people raising dairy goats. So we started buying 2% store bought cows milk. My mom had a heck of a time getting me to drink it. It smelled funny, it looked funny, and it certainly tasted funny. Eventually I switched over. And that became that. Then came gastric bypass surgery and all of a sudden milk was not so friendly to me. Like I said its only raw milk and raw milk products. Any thing cultured like cheese, yogurt, or cottage cheese, sour cream, non of that bothers me. But milk and cream are not good to me.

Now to your question. I have NOT tried goats milk since having developing my insensitivity. If I could come up with a decent supply for a reasonable price I’d certainly entertain it. But RAW milk from any creature has become ridiculously expensive and hard to come by. For the above meal the 3 gallons of Raw cow’s milk set me back $42.00. . . that’s right $7.00 dollars a half gallon. And you had better be one of the first in line to get it or its gone in minutes at that price. There are only three or four people in the entire five northern counties that are producing and selling it. Goat’s milk is about the same story.

I have not tried the store bought stuff and I might give that a try.

That’s crazy! And to think we just give gallons away for free! We raise Mini Nubians and our best goat gives us about a gallon a day. Sometimes we have such a surplus that I pour it on stumps! (the calcium helps to rot).

We just ate dinner at my mom’s house and she used several kinds of milk. Her goats milk she just bought cost her 6 bucks a half gallon.

You guys probably don’t wanna know what a gallon of Chick-fil-A lemonade goes for then?

My first day in Osaka, and here’s what I bought from the local supermarket.

Cheap sushi, woo hoo! But it took me forever using my phone with Google Translate to find a bottle of soy sauce. Kinda felt like an idiot… but I didn’t want to douse my sashimi with black tea concentrate.

I test drove the beer earlier, so I knew what to get. :grin:

As I looked at the picture I felt as if I had just returned from my favorite local Asian market “Bay Market” in Spokane. And thankfully they have signs in English should you need it.

Was it raw or store bought? It is illegal to sell unpasteurized raw milk in our state (RI) for consumption but some get around that by advertising it as “for soap making only”. We have made many different products: cheeses, yogurt, ice cream, cajeta, candy, fudge, kefir, soap, lotions, and even paint. We also save the whey and use it to cook pasta as the “cheese sand” suspended in it adheres to the pasta giving extra flavor and more “grip” for the sauce.

1 Like