Large Scale Central

Cooking fun foods

I failed. I didn’t make place cards. Shoot.

You’re Still the reigning Emperor

And it all looks so real! Is it all 3-D printed?

What no cream puffs? :rofl:

Well I’m not just a pretty face, and coal shoveler, Cold winter day, nothing makes the house home then the smell of fresh baked bread…

Hot thick slab slathered in butter…

No cream puffs Craig. I need to see if I still have the recipe or misplaced it yet again. That sounds so good.

Dave. I love fresh baked bread. One of my favorite things to make.

:shushing_face: It’s a family secret. :joy: Actually I think it comes from the Betty Crocker cookbook.

Dave is that Sourdough?

Nope… I love sourdough… but HATE, Hate, Hate… keeping the starter brewing… Quit that mess…

Its a Sheppards bread that I’ve modified, with Egg, butter, buttermilk& Cream.

It’s also good when I add NM Green Chili, and sharp cheddar cheese…

Yum!

We finally can get seasonal green poblanos here $20-30 AUD/kg. But have gotten some to grow in the garden. Usually not big enough to make chili rellaños though. (Plenty of shepherds here as this is lamb country)

Our Sourdough has been incredibly hit and miss. Really sour but dense and flat, gorgeously puffy but no hint of sourness.

Bill,

One thing I have neglected in my world cuisine travels is Australia. Besides “a shrimp on the barbie” what are some traditional Australian dishes that one could make? I’d love to add the continent to my list.

Well Devon, I guess we should address the Elephant in the room, most Australians will argue we don’t have shrimp in Australia. The phrase came from a tourism ad by Paul Hogan for Americans to come to Oz. We will definitely throw another prawn on the barbie. There apparently is a difference between the 2 but they taste about the same, although tiger prawns can reportedly reach 35cm, over a foot. I think it’s just really a regional term, like gas vs.petrol, acetaminophen vs paracetamol, tomato vs tomato, Burger King vs Hungry Jacks, Chevrolet vs Holden….

1. Vegemite on Toast (Beer is sacred here and all parts are used.) Vegemite is harvested yeast from the bottom of the vat, and mixed with salt and some vegetable matter… and like Dr Pepper if you didn’t get exposed to it trans-placentally you are going to have trouble acquiring the taste. Imagine a creamy beef bouillon cube on toast.

2. The Lamington (Costco does a pretty good job) are squares of a yellow butter cake or sponge cake coated in an outer layer of chocolate sauce and rolled in desiccated coconut. I think it was developed for the harsh dry conditions of the outback to keep the cake moist.

3. Peach Melba. Peaches with vanilla ice cream and a raspberry coulis named after the opera singer.

4. The Pavlova, also claimed by Kiwis as their own, is a meringue based dessert made with whipped cream, fruit and some fruit drizzle like passion fruit.

5. Kangaroo and Emu (national emblems are on the food list). Good as steaks or burgers. Not as good for roasts. Oh, and Camel. The largest herds of camels are found here and while more difficult to find, Throwing one of those on the barbie can be quite tasty…

Oh and as Herself might look over my shoulder… pumpkin is very much roasted here like potato or made into a soup. And Beetroot is weaponised for not only roasting but slipped into hamburgers with-the-lot ready to bleed onto or slip out on to white shirts like a ninja.

Men at Work quote,

Buying bread from a man named Russell
He was six-foot-four and full of muscle
I said, “Do you speak-a my language?”
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich

I think this a a good thread to ask if anyone “here” has a RRP #1130 spongeware in “red” that they wanna sell I would love to own it …I have the blue and green …my most favorite casserole baking dishes ever!
Bulk bake on the weekend then eat and freeze leftovers for the next few weeks.

Bill I might have trouble aquiring locally sourced camel and kangaroo. But emu is a possibility or at least it used to be. We did have a few local breeders at one time. As for the rest of it I might have to do some research and see if I can add Australian to my arsenal.

Can’t help you Rooster. Fresh out sold my last one yesterday

Be prepared for a beefy taste with emu. It’s a red meat

1 Like

Sorry Bill… Just couldn’t get to like the Vegemite, I really go for salty things… but just can’t do that stuff, have tried several ways… Nope nota gonna happen…

Last time down under we did discover TimTams… gotta love the dark chocolate…

Got back to the states with several packages… Only to find out they are imported from Canada into the US, Not everywhere, but some places…

Yeah Dave,

You might have spread the Vegemite on too thick. When Kraft took it over, they put it in USA sized peanut butter single serves. Most Aussies spread more butter on the toast than Vegemite.

You’d expect something from the brewing process should be left over and completely unusable and get thrown away. Not here. It’s mainly spent brewers yeast and salt. We tend to think chemists in the kitchen is a modern day thing but this, Marmite and other similar spreads were designed by chemists. Similar to anchovies that get hidden in Worcestershire sauce, Vegemite is also hidden in a lot of foods to boost that Unami taste.

Because it wasn’t available until relatively recently, my wife doesn’t understand peanut butter, except in M&Ms and satay.

And Dave, If you like Tim tams you’ll love Arnott’s Venetian’s.

Isn’t that interesting what cultural differences mean. Here I have never had Vegemitte (though I do remember the line from the song Rooster) but peanut butter is a mainstay staple in my house. I would have never guessed in a million years that peanut butter wasn’t a thing everywhere in the developed world. But guess not.