Large Scale Central

Cliff's Mik Model

This is a neat build. And personally I like the idea of the loading platform having its own loading crane. Since I have no idea about the V&T’s operations it sure seems feasible to me. Especially that sort of derrick which would have been simple and practical to build.

Cliff your decking is fine. Rule of thumb I followed when building decks was to run the decking parallel with the steps. or loading edge. Reason was simply that you want an even surface to step onto, not the ends of boards that can create an uneven, dangerous, condition. Since you show no man steps to get onto the platform you can always enter the platform to the rear of the crane. YMMV OMHO :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks for those insights Hollywood, makes sense.

Since the underlying beams are going the narrow direction, I’ll have to keep the planking running lengthwise anyway. But I’ll add steps on the rear, since you bring that good point up.

To keep the planks within stock lengths (now that we’re getting picky… :grin:), I’ll cut the pieces in halves or thirds and stagger their joints. That’ll look much better.

Anything under 24’ is stock, though most try to stay at 16 or less for handling :sunglasses:

Thanks Dave. And the other limitation is (for me) the 20’ flat cars to ship it on. :wink:

Idle cars… 2 20’ flats to haul some 24’ board makes perfect sense right?!

I think Rooster needs to report that…
:innocent:

Sure, and pivoting decks! Wait, that would be detached-truck log cars…
:grin:

I suspect that we can all agree that Cliff is just a bit “strange”. (Just about like everyone else on this site - funny how that works)

Rooster runs off the normal people

1 Like

That’s why I count on him.
Edit to show :wink:

Here and through the week, I looked at old wooden stiff leg derricks on the 'net, looking for something straightforward and with enough detail to understand the parts and the rigging. And I finally hit the jackpot, with a catalog from Brunner & Lay, a company that is still very much in existence! Though no date is given for the catalog, I think I read somewhere that mid-century seems to be the opinion. Here’s the catalog.

And here’s the derrick I like:

BL hand power sl derrick assy

The catalog lists assemblies / kits of their derricks, and also individual parts – each of which are illustrated. For example, here’s some from this particular derrick model.

These were hugely helpful in getting what was going on with each joint. So, last night and today I got to modeling the parts in CAD. I’m so impressed with the very simple, but effective, hardware set those past engineers came up with.

I won’t be messing with the hoist – that’s a big deal in itself. For now maybe a couple cleats will have to do for belaying the ropes.

Yay, weekend coming up!! I’ll be working on this and trying to finish up the Joe D loco project.

Best of luck / wishes to everyone else who’s feeling the MIK time pinch!

Cheers,
Cliff

You guys just wanted me to say “Articulation” and report myself to the moderator!

There ain’t nothing wrong with a

“Hand Powered PORTABLE Stiff leg Derrick”

Disclaimer: results may vary by user

That will look great on your new dock, Cliff. Looking forward to seeing in action.

1 Like

Cliff,

The hoist can be a pretty reasonably easy design. I drew one up for the Scott ballast spreader I am working on.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US707649A/en

While trying to finish up my loco project, I set up and printed the derrick “iron” parts.

I bought this “smoky black” resin special (used $2 of it here), just to save time painting. But it’s CLEAR with a hint of gray. Oh well. So the painting might make the derrick not part of this effort, we’ll see.

1 Like

Wow, Cliff. I did not realize there were that many iron parts for the derrick. But it all looks good. Can’t wait to see it all come together.

Thanks Dan. There’s a few spare parts, but not many. Some joints have multiple pieces that make them up, to make things easier when assembling it. Like, each the diagonal timber joint to its base timber is three pieces (vs. 1) to let it hinge to whatever angle.