Large Scale Central

Cliff's Mik Model

There’s no turning back, that’s for sure.

BUT, it still takes a lot of talent to produce a model - whether you’re printing material via a 3D printer or cutting material with a straight edge and knife; it’s not easy to produce something that looks good.

I need no stinking talent as long as I got my boy.

He does help, but there’s a lot of talent in YOU.

2 Likes

No, I’m saying that he somehow foresaw someone he had yet to meet would need the pieces in the future, and hung on to them until the proper time…

Rooster, I’d say don’t mess with the 'H-wood…

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I need no stinking talent as long as I got my boy.

Hmmm… Doc, how much did your son make of the Hunter coach?

Cliff

Admitted nudge suggesting you should post about it sooner rather than later…

…and maybe you could have a zoom meet on it, then we could have a group drool, which I’m sure Jim can set up.

Todd, thanks very much for chiming in here. I’ve always enjoyed your model work!

Since I come from a CAD background (since the 80’s), but not so much the manual craftsmanship, these new tools have really helped me get into physical model making. And that has led to getting better at the related manual skills.

I think it’s great to be in a hobby where there are so many ways to approach it, and so many opportunities for emphasis and expression. All under the same tent.

Cliff

[edit to add: I got my first pin nailer a couple years ago, wow that sucker is cool! And I’ll be using it on the (now) wooden platform for this project.]

Cliff, I’ll get to the combine soon but I want to finish the Mogul construction thread. I trying not to compete with all the great Mik’s competition posts.

1 Like

Cliff,
I’m pretty positive that the boilers at Carrick were of Frick origin as it was right up the road back in the day in the hood.

That makes sense, thanks Rooster. Right up there in Waynesboro.

Back in the day in the hood.

Yesterday was more fitting printing, and today I prepped (mainly sanding) all the mechanical parts. Here they are ready for priming, which is just happening.

Cheers,
Cliff

IF there is EVER an award for neatest, cleanest workshop, Cliff will win it - HANDS DOWN!

HAhaa! Thanks Bruce, but my secret is simple: only take photos when the shop’s been all cleaned up. Or at least point the camera toward a cleaner area, haahhaha!

The lumber is now cut, and priming’s done.

I guess that’s why I never had pictures of my shop - NONE of those conditions were ever met.

I think there should be a penalty for it.

I’d suggest that he’d have to eat off of his workbench - but it’s already cleaner than my kitchen table… :innocent:

I’ve been losing sleep (well, not much) about how to get the load onto the train – if the customer ever paid up. And I’ve come to a peaceful place, knowing (for now) that V&T Derrick Car #50 would not be available for the job – long story.

So, since this is a free-lance effort anyway (my first??), I’m vaguely considering adding a stiff-leg derrick to this setup.

I’ll probably not get it finished in time though. So that means I’ll leave the various load groups loose on the platform, to make way for the derrick potentiality. And pretend Derrick #50 takes care of things anyway.

You freelance guys have it easy…
:wink:

it looks NICE, but why to the planks go in the LONG direction? I’m more use to them going in the other direction, but, perhaps that was a local decision?

Dang it, why did you have to ask that??
rrrr…

Because I wasn’t thinking!
Guess I’ll have to recut the planks…

Edit to add :wink::smiley:

Remember tongue and groove! :innocent: