Large Scale Central

C.V.S.Ry. Mik 2022 Build Log

I’m enjoying seeing all your steps Jon, great work and very instructive.
As everyone else, I also love the hinges!

Thanks Cliff -

I had planned to show all the paint process steps, but started having too much fun and forgot to snap the last two coats. I did get this shot with the Elmer’s white glue coating…

Unfortunately, the steps up to that point didn’t have much effect on the final finish that you will see after I take the finished model shots later today. I also tried to document the aging process on the Taylor Tin, but the focus point on the cell phone camera let me down again :frowning_face: I did get this one in-focus shot of the underside at the mid-point of the process…

As you will see in the ‘beauty shots’ later today, most of my picked steel wool rust ended up turning to a really cool corroded metal look and the top side came out awesome!

I also had lots of fun with the small details like the insulators and a door pull.

Film at 11.

2 Likes

Here are my official completion photos. I posed it in several different locations. The outdoor railroad is encased in ice so the best I could do outdoors was on my back porch and in the driveway!

As always, click on the photo twice for full size!

I apologize if that was picture overload. That is about 20% of what I shot!

Time to put a fork in it!

1 Like

Jon, that turned out really nice, love the colors

2 Likes

I am with Rick. Your weathering is awesome! The roof turned out fantastic! Great job! I think I used up my quota of exclamation points.

And I have been told many times that you cannot include too many pics.

Nicely done…

2 Likes

Dittoing Rick and Jim, Jon, the weathering is fantastic, and it’s all amazingly realistic!

I particularly love the electrical details, very cool.

1 Like

Electrical details? Oh I see them now. I was wondering why an outhouse didn’t have a crescent moon on the door. :thinking: :yum:

1 Like

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed making this look old and dirty.

:grinning:

Nice!

But are you sure the “Structure” had an in swing door as opposed to an out swing door?

Jon, great job as usual. Your weathering just brought the whole thing together. You took a simple structure and turned it into showpiece. Goes to show that bigger is not always better, at least in modeling :grin: With the addition of the insulators, now you will have to run overhead telegraph wires all over the layout :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So when I vote for best building am I casting a vote in “best out house” or “best telegram office”. :joy:

According to the photo it did. Kind off odd, I agree.

You decide. I’m done trying to convince anyone :crazy_face:

I see that now ! I looked quickly last night but I thought the door was closed.

that came out awesome Jon. It may not be a huge building but it is great none the less and I think a perfect MIK build. The weathering came out nice

1 Like

Jon, I didn’t think anyone could get that much diversity in that small of a build. Well made. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you all for the nice comments. It was a lot of fun.

Well so much for my " Guaranteed to never rust" Taylor tin…

Draging up this old thread since I’m considering entering this model in the FEBT Model Contest during the Annual Reunion over President’s Day weekend.

For reference, here is the measured drawing I put together before starting the MIK build…

For the MIK, I only built the shed, but for the FEBT contest, I think it needs some context so I’m attempting to model the stairs and platform along with a very small section of the surrounding terrain. I’ll also add the stack.

For the terrain I’m using some scraps of 2" sign foam that I glued together and cut the rough hillside as steps on the table saw. I had enough pre-cut lumber left over from the MIK to build the platform and stairs. I’ve weathered the platform by beating on it and rubbing it in crushed coal dust.

Who knew stairs were so hard to build! Mine came out a bit crooked, but that is probably good as I’m modeling this shed late in life, soon before it was lost to time.

Here are a few shots of my progress so far today as I wait for the stair glue to dry. The foam hillside still needs a lot of work…

The platform and stairs. Stairs need some modification, removing one tread and fixing the top stringer angle…

Early mock up. I’m not sure the stairs are beefy enough. I built with 2x10 but might beef that up t 3"…

Still lots to do including indoor scenics which I have very little experience with.

3 Likes

Dragging up my old comments then…“Women’s Work”