Large Scale Central

Building my Deadwood, Black Hills & Western

Jake,
You’ve really accomplished a lot in a short time.
Congratulations on your progress.
ralph

Very, very nice. I think your use of the smaller rock in the river works really well. The layout’s location next to the patio will make it easy to share with friends and family. Congrats and please keep us posted.

Looking good!

Great progress Jake. You’ve really come along way.

Outstanding!
:slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments and Joe, that was my hope. My wife and I like to have small get togethers on the patio. I figure Beer, BBQ, friends and trains is a perfect combination.

Very nice, Jake. You must have a lot of energy to take on–and accomplish–so much so quickly! I enjoyed your posts.
Steve

Jake,

Even though the growing season is over in your neck of the woods, now is the perfect time to plant ground cover. Planting now will allow the roots to get established so that by spring they are ready to take off. If you wait until spring, they might not do as well. This is the voice of experience speaking. :stuck_out_tongue:

Great looking railroad Jake.

Steve Featherkile said:
Jake,

Even though the growing season is over in your neck of the woods, now is the perfect time to plant ground cover. Planting now will allow the roots to get established so that by spring they are ready to take off. If you wait until spring, they might not do as well. This is the voice of experience speaking. :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting, I didnt know that. So if I were to plant stuff like Thyme and Sedum, it will take?

If you noticed in my last pictures I did plant blue rug juniper.

Jake Smith said:
Steve Featherkile said:
Jake,

Interesting, I didnt know that. So if I were to plant stuff like Thyme and Sedum, it will take?

If you noticed in my last pictures I did plant blue rug juniper.

Now is the best of all times to plant perennials like Thyme and Sedum. It will give the plant time to adjust to its’ new home and to establish the root system over the winter. You might check with Larry Mosher on this board to get the specifics, but that is my understanding. Larry runs a retail garden supply store/nursery. He is our go-to guy for these kinds of questions. Just click on one of his posts to find a route to his email.

I thought Larry was a tree surgeon ???

Jon Radder said:
I thought Larry was a tree surgeon ???
Well, i could be wrong, but i thought he ran some sort of retail garden business. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Larry, can you settle this before Jon beats me up? :P

It seems kind of hard to get the ground covers. I looked at my local greenhouse and they didnt have much left and nothing I wanted to plant. I only had time to check one, I’ll have to check a couple others.

Jake, most of the stores arent stocking any new plants, as fall is here, and winter is coming on… You might have to wait till spring…

Or, get some plugs from some friends. I’m always amazed at how much the ground cover spreads over a winter.

Jake Smith said:
It seems kind of hard to get the ground covers. I looked at my local greenhouse and they didnt have much left and nothing I wanted to plant. I only had time to check one, I’ll have to check a couple others.

just buy the half dead stuff on sale at local nursery’s …I like sedum and thymne … gotta watch for bugs though.

(http://www.criticallayouts.com/images/rsgallery/original/caterpillar-1-0214.gif)

Holy cow; I never realized that there about a zillion varieties of sedum until I went looking for a picture :o

"This site has over 1700 photos of more than 600 different kinds of sedums and related genera " http://www.sedumphotos.net/main.php

Jon Radder said:
Holy cow; I never realized that there about a zillion varieties of sedum until I went looking for a picture :o

"This site has over 1700 photos of more than 600 different kinds of sedums and related genera " http://www.sedumphotos.net/main.php

I have about 10-15 different varieties on my layout and there’s some out in the front flower bed that get over a foot tall…thyme’s the same way.

“Steppables”, Jeepers Creepers" are a couple of different brands they’re sold under.

Fall is a good time to plant and as long as you keep them watered, they’ll do fine. I’ve planted about 4 trees over the last couple of weeks and right now they’re getting a good dousing with all the rain.

I’ve seen the steppables variety at my local Menards. I am gonna go look at a couple more nurserys and see what I can find. I did get a grt deal on my Boxwoods and Blue-rug Junipers, they were 60% off at Walmart.