Large Scale Central

Buchanan Tool and Die

As I continue to build more boxcars, I find that I’m running out of room to store them. Time for a new storage building and industry. This one will be 24" x 18" and hold six cars; 3 on each level. Roof will be removable, just like Matheson Textiles. Gary suggested “Buchanan Tool & Die” and I think I’ll go with it. I’m freelancing, but using some ideas from this one. I’m still undecided about putting in the stairs; probably won’t.

This will be built from scraps of plastic products that I have laying around, as opposed to building purely from acrylic. I’m using hardware cloth for the windows, just as I did for Matheson Textiles. The windows will be cut in the wall, so I wanted a good way to hold them in place; I’m trying something new. I created some channel using .100" angle pieces glued together. These pieces are then glued onto the edges of each window; I’m hoping this will provide enough surface to glue to acrylic glazing.

The end walls are cut from some packing material that came with the large sheets of acrylic that I used for Matheson Textiles. It’s a bit over 1/4" thick and easy to cut; though it’s still a pain to cut the windows out. Here you can see I’ve completed one of the end walls.

When I built Matheson, I wrapped the Precision products sheet around all the edges of the “pillars”, but this was a real pain. This time I just glued a strip on the pillar and scribed the brick lines with my Dremel.

I’m going to have steps going to the main door; I used the corrugated plastic to built them.

These will be framed with some PVC I have. The lower part of each wall will be covered with concrete block.

Sheesh, didn’t know ya had any more room for buildings. Where’s this one going? Not Jackson, I hope!..:wink:

How do like that coroplast? Pretty easy to work with. There’s a sign shop down in West Grove, I’m gonna see if he’s got any scrap pieces he’s throwin out…used all mine up on the station build.

Those little carts in the first picture are pretty cool lookin…are they rail carts or just plain wheels with spokes?

Looks like a fine start Bruce. That coroplast your using has everybody talking. Great stuff to work with

Thanks. This IS going into Jackson, and will replace Miracle Chair. Miracle Chair will be moving over to Occoquan - where there’s a siding with no industry, yet. Actually, it needs lots of work as the years have taken their toll.

I’m not sure about those carts. I don’t see any track…

Bruce, great start on another exceptional building… can’t wait to see the build log… :slight_smile:

Boy, moving a business like the “Miracle Chair Company” will be a big project. Its amazing that it was cost effective to move the company, building and all, instead of just tearing it down. I guess, its probably one of those tax incentive programs. Are you keeping all the same employees?

Ric Golding said:
Boy, moving a business like the “Miracle Chair Company” will be a big project. Its amazing that it was cost effective to move the company, building and all, instead of just tearing it down. I guess, its probably one of those tax incentive programs. Are you keeping all the same employees?

Keeping all the same employees???

(http://www.jbrr.com/assets/images/Factory6.jpg)

Are you kidding? Those guys have been on break for 7 years! That’s 49 years for that dang dog!!! Here’s a shot from today…

(http://jbrr.com/Pics/Structures/MiracleChair/IMG_8901.JPG)

Colors have certainly changed. Needs a bit of work. :wink:

Bruce Chandler said:
Are you kidding? Those guys have been on break for 7 years! That's 49 years for that dang dog!!!!
They must do somethin.................they sure move a lot of cars in and out of that place................at least they do when I'm down there.........;)

Thats going to look great Bruce. I have to give that stuff a try. Looks like ti is easy to work with.

Doing a quick inventory of the loading dock, and it looks like they moved at least a couple of barrels in that 7 years.

Bruce Chandler said:
As I continue to build more boxcars, I find that I'm running out of room to store them.

Time for a new storage building and industry. This one will be 24" x 18" and hold six cars; 3 on each level. Roof will be removable, just like Matheson Textiles.

Gary suggested “Buchanan Tool & Die” and I think I’ll go with it.

Very cool!
Nice progress so far
:slight_smile:

Bruce,

I actually like the color and condition of the siding on the structure. Mother Nature is hard to live with, but you can’t duplicate that weathering.

Bruce:

Was the guy in the purple shirt injured (or perhaps killed) when the door fell on him?

Probably too late to provide any medical assistance to him!

No wonder the company is moving. Their liability could be a big issue!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Looking good Bruce. Is that Coroplast white or translucent ?

Kind of a translucent white, I guess. One limitation is that I have to cut the window openings on the “lines”.

Getting there. Lots of cutting and fitting. And changes in plan…:wink:

(http://jbrr.com/Pics/Structures/BuchananMachine/IMG_8902.JPG)

Next, I’ll work on the door.

Thats looking sharp Bruce

Bruce Chandler said:
Getting there. Lots of cutting and fitting. And changes in plan...;)
What are the plan changes? ;)
David Russell said:
Bruce Chandler said:
Getting there. Lots of cutting and fitting. And changes in plan...;)
What are the plan changes? ;)
he's changing it into a superliner.... :)

Is it done yet?