Large Scale Central

Bachmann Connie Bash Thread. Post your pictures here

Boomer,
Glad to see that onion stack being used! Nice work on the engine!

Nice looking little engine… but I can’t help feeling that the engine is only half painted.

By the way, I… respect? your tag line. Not sure respect is the word I’m looking for. Normally I’d say like, but considering the subject matter, saying “like” sounds like something Westboro Baptist would say… if ever anyone forfeited their right to free speech, its them.

Boomer, I like the colors, but I agree with Jason; it looks a bit unbalanced. I’d be tempted to see what the cowcatcher and cylinders would look like in light green, so to balance out the cab and tender. And given the tender trucks being light green, I might also expect to see the counterweights painted the same color. I hope you don’t mind, but I had some fun with Photoshop to illustrate my thoughts…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kstrong/34colored.jpg)

Just my thoughts. I’m not a fan of “art by committee,” so I won’t be offended if you tell me to stuff it. :wink: Later, K

Boomer said:
Thanks Jason. I know what you mean and I appreciate it. I guess it pushes the boundary of the no politics policy but I put a lot of friends on Angel Flights to Dover and I get a little tired of the apathy from the general public. I figure those that know what it means won’t mind and those that don’t know or care enough to google it won’t care. Boomer

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/chat/emoticons/good.gif)

Paint the counterweights red, then it’ll look like a lot of locos in S America and Asia… and annoy a lot of those “nothing but black” folks.

I’ve grown fond of 2 tone green (Bunswick Green cab, pilot & tender w/ a Hauser Green jacket - once weathered it has a Pennsy flavor, but not quite as drab)

Jake Smith said:
Looks good. The paint is interesting as well as the stack. Makes yours look very unique. My Connie is sitting on the workbench waiting for me get time to work on it.
Ditto all of that. I was looking at it last nigh. Must move the front light and shorten the pilot (or extend the smoke box) some day.

Kevin Strong said:
Boomer, I like the colors, but I agree with Jason; it looks a bit unbalanced. I’d be tempted to see what the cowcatcher and cylinders would look like in light green, so to balance out the cab and tender. And given the tender trucks being light green, I might also expect to see the counterweights painted the same color. I hope you don’t mind, but I had some fun with Photoshop to illustrate my thoughts…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kstrong/34colored.jpg)

Just my thoughts. I’m not a fan of “art by committee,” so I won’t be offended if you tell me to stuff it. :wink: Later, K

Hey Boomer, mind if I do this??? I really like the look and am bored to tears with my all-black 1:20.3 fleet! Obviously I would not ‘steal’ your road name! Kevin…I like the “balanced” look. May even try to weather this one. O.O

Boomer said:
...I would be very flattered if anybody wants to use the paint scheme. Of course I don't own the rights anyway. The colors are Salmon Pink, which Krylon stopped making, for the cab roof but a light red oxide would work. Apple Green by Krylon and Hammered Metal for the smoke box. The dark green highlight is called camp ground green or dark forest green....
I have a few cans of Valspar flat "sage" that is a close match to your "apple". I was actually going to paint my last scratch boxcar that color but changed my mind...Then I saw your engine and wished I had! :)

Far too much black and oxide rolling on my rails!

Boomer said:
Thanks Jason. I know what you mean and I appreciate it. I guess it pushes the boundary of the no politics policy but I put a lot of friends on Angel Flights to Dover and I get a little tired of the apathy from the general public. I figure those that know what it means won't mind and those that don't know or care enough to google it won't care. Boomer
Actually... I was one who didn't get the reference and so DID google it. (When did google become a verb?) My father is former USA & USAF and I'm proud to say that he instilled in me a strong sense of patriotism... as well as a near psychotic obsession with trains, lol.

Anyways, thank you for the tagline, and thank you for making me learn something new.

-Jason

I had an image of this wonderful little narrow gauge 2-8-0+0-8-2 in mind. I was certain it would look neat. When I designed up the drawing, I even went so far as to design both versions as I imagined: sharing as many parts as possible between the AG-1 4-6-0+0-6-4 passenger variant and the AG-2 2-8-0+0-8-2 freight version. As I developed the backstory for the Appalachia Great Eastern system, I decided that my AGE was going to be the basis for the modern EBT appearance: all design characteristics that make up the EBT family feel. But instead of going with red on black, I decided on blue on black. After I finalized the engine’s design, I decided to color up a copy depicting the prototype, AGE #2800 which did break in runs on the Broad Top and Newport districts of the AGE’s Keystone Division. After I got it done, I realized that not only did it look as cool as I hoped, I fell in love with the design and the paint scheme even more than I had expected. I can’t wait to finish my current projects and get the parts to start building my baby, and I want to share it with all of my friends here: (YES, I just realized the typo, sorry) [url=freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jgallaway81/_forumfiles/AGE-2800.png]

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jgallaway81/_forumfiles/AGE-2800-mod1.png)

[/url] Please consider clicking the pic to see the full size version. It has a much greater impact… at least it did on me :smiley: - J.D.

Cost? If I can’t get good deals on the chassis’s probably in excess of 1500-2000. Construction begins when my 0-4-0 and twin GP-45-TGX helper units are completed.

I am kind of surprized they are still there…I am not saying it’s a great price but I think it’s fair. Granted, my NIB Connie was only $250.00 but I think those days are gone.

If you plan on “bashing one” might as well start with something that’s not shiny and new!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310647228655?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_1157wt_1399

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I already messaged Mr. Kramer and got the reserve price on the one up for bid. While I’m not certain, I do think its a bit high for a no-warranty, as-is purchase. ALOT of gamble for that price.

Well he’s not giving them away to be sure, but it seems fair. I need a tender for a different project and I’d pay $100.00 for one. That makes my planned Connie bash kind of cheap (Hint, no tender required!).

:slight_smile:

Well my Connie has hit the workbench. I stripped her down and am starting to build her back up. I noticed that when I removed the small weight that sits under the cab in the firebox, the “butt drag” is a lot less noticable. I wonder how much this will effect the tractive effort???

I’m going to call mine a C-22. It looks more bulkier (that a word?) than my other two Consolidations and also more modern. This will give the railroad a rolling history of locomotive purchases. I’m adding Titan, Battery and hopefully full smoke features (chuff controlled by Titan).

Build log to follow, when I get enough together to post…

Mik just Mik said:

Jon Radder said:
Lots of god ideas here. Mine is still stock, for now :slight_smile:

If I send you a hobby knife and a tube of glue when can you start? :wink:

It’s been a while, but I got started last night. Started by tearing down the tender and removing the track pick-up wires. I have a replacement axle on the way. I want to lengthen the smoke box and raise the head light. Not sure if it will get much else. I do like Kevin’s EBT like pilot.

Kevin Strong said:

Quote:
… I like the looks of the lowered tender, how do you guys achieve that?

On TRR #3 and WRY #14, new tender frames. On D&RGW #350, I just added a strip of styrene to the bottom edge of the existing frame, essentially doubling the thickness of the frame. Instant “lowered” tender without much effort at all.

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/eastbroadtop/drg350/drgw35013.jpg)

Later, K

Kevin - I plan to go this route. Zooming in on your picture it looks like you removed all the appurtenances (steps etc.) and lowered them as well. Is this correct or is that horizontal line in the frame not the joint where you added material?

On the side the seam is the joint in the styrene. All you do is add on. Kevin’s may be different but I didn’t relocate a thing.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I need to go study my tender.

Jeeeze, and I did it the hard way, again! I actually lowered the bolsters. Man I need to read more and ask more questions before starting a project:)