Large Scale Central

Bachmann Connie Bash Thread. Post your pictures here

Barry,

I personally don’t see a dramatic ‘butt drag’ in my K. I recently received a new Phoenix PB11 and was considering mounting the sound card with a speaker in the boiler in the open space in front of the weight stack. Based on comments by Tony W. I was also considering turning the fan around to move air forward to keep the sound card cool. I am also going to Revolution R/C and battery power (NiCads), so any available space I can put in the tender will be a plus. I also have a Connie and did not notice a rear sag in it either, but have never looked for it. HHMMMMM… I guess next trip to the club (I keep the Connie there so I always have something to run) I will have to take a real close look. I purchased this unit off eBay, so I don’t really know the history. I was sorry to hear of your closing, as I would have purchased a drive when this one gives out. I ramble…

Bob C.

The balancing can be done using a short length of PVC across the second and third axle (wheels). It might be best if the PVC was slit lengthwise.

Barry

Some fairly old photos of our connie:

(http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4752/3751ve5.jpg)

(http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5912/375turntable.jpg)

Mods include moving headlight, adding some risers to the tender, and lettering. Since we are mainly 1:22.5, this loco just didn’t seem to fit in. She serves as an indoor display loco now.

Matt, Re scaling the Connie by changing out the cab and tender shell/floor for Bug Mauler ones, and shortening the domes, isn’t all that hard. It takes about 3 hours - most of that spent trimming down the Connie cab floor to match the BH cab dimensions and the front of the cab to fit the boiler.

(http://www.the-ashpit.com/mik/PC080052.JPG)

You’ll end up with something that has proportions similar to this

(http://www.the-ashpit.com/mik/sano1.jpg)

Kevin’s project for his dad gave me the idea to try it on mine. … and you’ll probably even make money on the deal if you sell the old parts off!

Bob C.

The “butt drag” was primarily directed to the Connie owners. I agree the K doesn’t seem to be afflicted, but balancing couldn’t hurt.

Barry

Thanks Barry, I will look into it when I install the sound and Revolution. I am sure the extra weight will not hurt either, considering I am going to do one of Rodney’s drives (hoeprully before Christmas).

Bob C.

Ummm, did you let the cat out of the bag Bob?

The cat was never in the bag. I am just waiting for Robby from RLD to ship my Revolution so I can start that project. I will also be doing the converter board to use the optical chuff in the K. However, budgets are still tight from SWMBO being out of work for 19 months. She keeps tight riegns on the finances, so it takes a bit to free up a couple hundred bucks. I would advise Rodney not to hold is breath tho. :).

Bob C.

Oh you were refering to the K drive.

(waves hand) you saw nothing.

Waves hand over head (ala Peanut with Jeff Dunham).

Has anyone ever tried to bash two 4-6-0 Annies or Connies together to make a 4-6-6-0 or 2-6-6-2 or something of that nature?..

Travis,

I have repowered a couple for a customer. I believe I have some pics, can’t post here (just dumb).

Barry

Barry,
I was just curious if it was possible to build a bigger loco out of two to make one single one. Thought it would be fun to try…I have a 4 of them things laying around collecting dust and looking for something to do with em… Do you do pictures thru email?, would like to see them if possible… Travis

Travis…a troll through the Forums you willl find alll sorts of interesting things done to just about any locomotive commercially produced…look for Jerry Barnes, or Tim Brien, or Ray Dunakin, or Bruce Chandler, or crap who else am I forgetting?

I think Tim’s probably the only person who’s done an articulated from the 4-6-0, and even that’s speculation. Scot Lawrence (hangs out over at MLS) tried, but decided the spacing was too far apart for a properly-proportioned articulated. He built new frames and started to go from there, but last I saw had not progresses any farther.

Later,

K

Travis,

Send me an email and I will send you the pics.

Barry

Should provide the email address:

[email protected]

Barry

Seriously LOVE that color!!!

Wish I could find an ‘onion stack’ for mine.

Looks good. The paint is interesting as well as the stack. Makes yours look very unique. My Connie is sitting on the workbench waiting for me get time to work on it.

Nice. I like “colorful” in the garden :slight_smile:
Ralph