Large Scale Central

American Invasion of Friends 2018

Starts at the IPP&W/RP&W in Ottawa

Ends at Finger Lakes Live Steamers in NY

From Fred:

Thursday, July 12th, for those that arrive early, and goes on until the “Picnic” at Finger Lakes on Monday July 16th

See Steve McKenzie’s posts:

IPP&W/RP&M Operations by the OVGRS 2018

That link can lead to MANY blogs and pictures by OVGRS members.

I’ve got my reservations already:-)

See you there!

Don Howard said:

Starts at the IPP&W/RP&W in Ottawa

Ends at Finger Lakes Live Steamers in NY

From Fred:

Thursday, July 12th, for those that arrive early, and goes on until the “Picnic” at Finger Lakes on Monday July 16th

See Steve McKenzie’s posts:

IPP&W/RP&M Operations by the OVGRS 2018

That link can lead to MANY blogs and pictures by OVGRS members.

I’ve got my reservations already:-)

See you there!

Well, you just can’t believe everything you read on the internet! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

From Fred Mills - July 12, 2017

For 19 or so years, we have been enjoying a get-together called various names, but generally “THE AMERICAN INVASION OF FRIENDS”.

19 years has been a long run, and has been great fun. Many many friendships have been made, and will continue. So many people have had one heck of a lot of fun, socializing, while operating the Ironwood Peter’s Pond and Western Railroad.

The whole gang, here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; thank everyone who has shared in these “Invasions”. We are planning on keeping the railroad open and OPERATING for many more years, on Saturday mornings, during the Summer months. Visitors are always welcome.

This coming weekend will be the LAST official “Invasion”.

Fred Mills

Wait…I thought the last invasion was 3 yrs ago?

Some “Friends”, still want to spend some time up here, operating the railroad, and renewing friendships. Finger Lakes Live Steamers still enjoy our visits, and again they are friends too.

The WELCOME “FLAGS” will be flying…

The IPP&W is still operating, and has just had a rebuild of the Bellamy area. The roadbed and track work needed renewing, after 15 years of good service. The IPP&W/RP&M are active railroads, and like the real railroads, have to be upgraded to serve the customers better.

A model railroad should never be considered “Finished”. Like the hobby, it needs to grow with the people enjoying the hobby… If it is allowed to be finished, the interest in the hobby dies…

Fred Mills

" Rooster " said:

Wait…I thought the last invasion was 3 yrs ago?

Rooster, once again you got it wrong. The “Last Invasion” was last year. The “Next Invasion” is this year, or if the Invasion is currently going on, it is the “Current Invasion” and therefore the “Next Invasion” will be next year. Simple “Canadian Math”, if its Summer, its a party until the ice cubes freeze on their own, again. Please try to understand and, as always. wait for the pictures. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Fred did say a couple of years back that there will not be anymore “invasions”.

But since he shirked his duty as the President of the Ottawa Valley GRS, he has no veto power.

Oddly enough the invaders always alert us of when they intend to cross the undefended border.

Paul Norton said:

Fred did say a couple of years back that there will not be anymore “invasions”.

But since he shirked his duty as the President of the Ottawa Valley GRS, he has no veto power.

Oddly enough the invaders always alert us of when they intend to cross the undefended border.

Image result for monty python idiotOttawa …

The world’s longest undefended border, divided only by a common language. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Fred, I heard this year, you are removing all the switches and converting to 4 concentric loops with no sidings, with digital loop counters, so accurate high speed roundy round operating can be precisely monitored.

First off:

There has NEVER been a “President, Chairman, or CEO of the OVGRS”…every “Member” is declared a “Vice President” when he/she operates or takes part in an operation, for the second time. There has never been, and never will be, a membership charge. No-one can ever say that they can’t afford to belong to this "Friendly, Sharing, group of Model Railroaders.

Greg;

To answer your suggestion, of what you have heard… The idea of turning this OPERATING railroad, into a series of loops, WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Everyone around here would give up and never come back. Everyone here only wants to enjoy the operation of the railroad, and would, after a few minutes be completely bored, just watching trains go around in circles; no-mater how many ceegars, glasses of Single Malt, bheer, whine, or imported water you provided…even with “Presidential Style” chairs with foot rests, along with dancing girls, and flocks of scrawny poultry running loose around the property.

…and we do it every Saturday, without advertising, or dragging anyone in off the street.

The “American Invasion of Friends”, still exists, but lately we sort of consider it, not an invasion, but “The time in July, when GOOD FRIENDS drop in for a weekend of operations, and fellowship”

This year, so far; it looks like the regular Friends will again be arriving. Possibly some new FRIENDS will join in… They come because they want to…and everyone here enjoys their company and friendship. The Canadian Dollar, is till very much in any American’s favour…you guys gain somewhere around $0.70 every time you use an American Dollar.

We will even give each of you a small piece of “Aluminium Rail”, FREE OF ANY TARIFF…or charge…just for the asking…!!

Fred Mills

Fred Mills. said:

First off:

There has NEVER been a “President, Chairman, or CEO of the OVGRS”…every “Member” is declared a “Vice President” when he/she operates or takes part in an operation, for the second time. There has never been, and never will be, a membership charge. No-one can ever say that they can’t afford to belong to this "Friendly, Sharing, group of Model Railroaders.

Well, crud; there goes any opportunity I ever had to take charge of the rifraff! Maybe there’s still hope to become “Emperor” of the OVGRS? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Well, Bruce…

When you are here, you can make a run at it…all I have is a 1/2" water hose to stop you…!!

Your many friends up here will likely be VERY supportive of you…!!

Fred

Fred Mills. said:

Well, Bruce…

When you are here, you can make a run at it…all I have is a 1/2" water hose to stop you…!!

Your many friends up here will likely be VERY supportive of you…!!

Fred

Yeah, you’d probably run beer through it and that would be the end of my run. Sure, I’d be happy, but would I be Emperor? I think not…oh, well. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Bruce;

Should I get posters made up announcing your run for office, on the IPP&W board of misguided directors ?

This could be your opening, leading to possible leadership rolls back in your own community…Or maybe even the presidency of “Bird Watchers Autonomous”

You might even meet the odd Cardinal, Hummer, Robin, or Blue Jay, while you and Jean are here…we might even toss in a Blue Heron, and/or a Canada Goose or three topped off by several Sparrows, nesting in an Alberta Spruce.

Fr.Fred

Bruce…

Ken says he will vote often…

Fred

Does this mean a coup is out? Dang. I was going to promise free beer!

Free bheer…free bheer…did someone suggest FREE BHEER…I distinctly heard FREE BHEE*R

The Election is over…and the winners are…BRUCE CHANDLER, and JEAN CHANDLER.

(Free bheer also includes Iced Tea for those that prefer it…)

Fr.Fred

(There will be an official meeting of the IPP&W board of misguided directors, on July 14th, where a decision will be made, on what positions have been won, by these two kind friends)

(See what “Free Bheer” yelled out, loud enough, can win a person, these days…!!) (Ken, did you whisper something…???)…or was that Jan Golding, over on her beloved Face Book…!!

"There has NEVER been a “President, Chairman, or CEO of the OVGRS”…

I dunno! As I remember every copy of Garden Railways magazine that had the club list clearly showed Fred Mills as the President of the Ottawa Valley GRS.

How else good he arbitrarily change the name of the American Invasion of Ottawa, a name steeped in years of tradition, to the wussy Invasion of Friends.

Just saying!

Only 3 days to get ready…Friday is coming up fast…

Fred

There is actually quite a lot of history buried in the thread.

Bruce Chandler - “Emperor of the North”, I think the movie has already been made and the biography is still being written.

Fred may be President of the Ottawa Valley Garden Railway Society, but we run on the Ironwood, Peters Pond and Western Railroad. I think Fred still sets the rules, but other VP’s sometime overrule.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Its been 2 years and its been driving me crazy.

Invasion - an occurrence of unwanted guests showing up whether you want them to come or not. Some may be called pests, some not so bad. That’s yet to be decided.

Beer is BEER. Iiced tea is water with a bag of something dunked in it. DIET COKE keeps some of us going. Rum is only used for medicinal purposes.

“Rumskies” were outlawed at the Border for fear of influencing our Canadian Friends.

Howcome (one word) we all live in North America, except TAC (he’s a part timer) and the people north of the border are called “Canadians” or “Canucks”, but the people in North America, south of the Canadian Border in the USA are called “Americans”? Why aren’t we called “USAians” or “USucks”?

What a minute, I may have answered my own question.

Very proud to be an “American” and to have such a large number of “Canadian” friends.

Hope to see many of you in the next couple of days.