Large Scale Central

American Invasion 2007

Doug posted this on another site, and rather than add to the existing topic, I’ll start a new one!

After a bit of going back and forth with many of the participants as we worked on avoiding conflicts, the date and details for the 2007 American Invasion have now been worked out. Some of our friends from the Finger Lakes Live Steamers will join us again this year so live steam will continue to be very much a part of the event.

This annual event will take place in Ottawa Ontario on the weekend of July 21-22.

July 19 - early arrivers can enjoy a steamup on the Northland RR followed by an evening get together and running on the IPP&W RR
July 20 - the traditional early bird operation will take place in the morning with some free running in the afternoon all on the IPP&W; Friday evening is the customary barbeque which I will host at my place south of Ottawa
July 21 - Saturday will feature the full formal operating session, free running in the afternoon and dinner at a local restaurant
July 22 - many will depart but for those staying on, a visit to Dave McCurdy’s huge RGS RR as well as free running on the IPP&W are planned
July 23-24 - for those who wish to extend their Canadian visit, we are planning a sidetrip to Montreal to tour Les Jardins Botaniques and then to Delson Quebec to RailExpo (the world class museum of the Canadian Railway Historical Association)

The operating sessions will include both sparkies and live steam … the action the last two years has shown that live steamers can fit right in and it is a wonderful test of an engineer and his machine.

If any LSCers would like to attend, they can contact me by emai for details. We would love to have you.

For those who are new to the Forums and are unfamiliar with the event, a search of the archived posts will turn up many threads concerning the antics of past years. Last year for example, the operation session had 20 plus attendees involved in running their trains executing their switching moves according to the dispatcher’s orders . The sidetrip was to see Riding Railkits in North Bay and took the travellers through an unforgettable storm!

Over the years, we have had great times with our many American Friends … I look forward to seeing many of you at this year’s Invasion.

Regards … Doug

Thanks for posting, Bruce. I only get over there occasionally, so your work was worthwhile for me. I’ll get the ball rolling.

Hmmmmmmmmm, guess I better get crackin on a passport…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
Hmmmmmmmmm, guess I better get crackin on a passport............;)
I think you can still get across without one for the remainder of this year...unless you are planning on flying.
Warren Mumpower said:
Ken Brunt said:
I think you can still get across without one for the remainder of this year...unless you are planning on flying.
I believe you're correct, but it'd do no harm to get a passport anyway. Mind you, I've had one for most of the past 50+ years. I'd feel kinda lost without one.

I’m just the opposite. I’ve never had one and resent the hell out of the fact that a certain Shrub in DC is forcing the issue on my having to have one to visit my neighbors. With all the crap we are going through now we may as well throw our hands up and admit the terrorists have won…!! Grrrrrrr…!! :frowning:

Warren,
You know the statement, “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer”. Its the “good people” you have to worry about. Your enemy only wants to kill you, but the “good people” want to change you. Renewed the passports 2 years ago. Have carried them with us into Canada and back. Nobody really wants to see them. Lately, we also carry them when we go to south Florida. :wink:

Sad to relate , chaps . we will now require Visas , only obtainable by attending the American Embassy in person . I really hope they change that , it makes for great difficulties here .
Of course , they have good reason to want a visa ,it gives chance to do a better security check .

Mike

I certainly can’t blame the president for wanting to make it a little tougher for terrorists to enter this country, after all, he didn’t let loose the one responsible for all this. What I find irksome is the lack of basic common sense with all this hoopla. Had a border guy tell me a few years ago on my way back home from Canada that my photo ID CDL wasn’t going to be enough proof. He said any Penn State student can get one. While I appreciated the compliment I hardly look like a student attending Penn State…:wink: But he was a young guy, maybe he was trying to impress me…

Y’ain’t OLD are ya Ken ? If you can still drive a rig , ya muss be a yoof .

Mike

Mike,

You might want to go to the Mexican Embassy for that visa. You get better benefits if you walk in from the south. :wink:

Well, Micheal, me lad, I’ve only been driving that thing fer 2 years or so…up till that time I was employed by our local communications behemoth, from which I am now gladly retired…:wink:

And to answer your question, NO, I don’t consider myself old, but then again, I don’t consider myself Penn State student material either…

Ken ,
Quite so , you’re as old as you feel , that is the way to long happy life .

Senor Reec ,
no habla espanol , bot I have frens who know holes in ze border .

Meek

Thanks, Bruce. I was going to post that here this afternoon. I do wish you had deleted that MLS reference and substituted LSC…but who am I to be picky…!!!

I have sent out hotel information to those who are interested.

I'm just wondering what kind of "Special excitement" we can throw in for the "Side trip" this year.......maybe Gaeten can find a "Storm" down along the StLawrence River......!!!!

I didn’t even notice, Fred. It’s fixed now!

REALLY looking forward to it…

Fred Mills said:
I'm just wondering what kind of "Special excitement" we can throw in for the "Side trip" this year.......maybe Gaeten can find a "Storm" down along the StLawrence River......!!!!
No thanx......un-excitement for the trip will be just as nice...........;)
Ken Brunt said:
Matthew applied for his today. He told me they wouldn't take his Mom's application - she didn't look "Emurikan". Truth be told she only took one check and the P.O. requires each application have a check. I need to get mine soon too.

JR

I’ve been wondering if the US wouldn’t let me back in, could I apply for asylum? Could I get a visa to work at the local marina. I’d have to have time to attend the Wednesday Morning work sessions, Thursday build sessions, Saturday OPs Sessions and Monday Evening train club meetings? Maybe we could demand it as part of our religious expression of freedom or maybe just therapy.

To all AMERICANS.

I just checked with Canadian Foregn Affairs (The American Embassy in Ottawa is impossible to contact as they won't let you talk to a human being without a handsom charge)

AMERICANS TRAVELLING TO CANADA, BEFORE 2008; DO NOT REQUIRE A PASSPORT TO enter Canada, OR to return to THE US of A.   BY CAR.

NOTE; This only applies to those travelling by personal vehicle (CAR)

YOU ONLY NEED A Birth Certificate, and proper Photographic identification.

In 2008, we all will require a PASSPORT.
Fred Mills said:
To all AMERICANS.
I just checked with Canadian Foregn Affairs (The American Embassy in Ottawa is impossible to contact as they won't let you talk to a human being without a handsom charge)

AMERICANS TRAVELLING TO CANADA, BEFORE 2008; DO NOW REQUIRE A PASSPORT TO enter Canada, OR to return to THE US of A.   BY CAR.

NOTE; This only applies to those travelling by personal vehicle (CAR)

YOU ONLY NEED A Birth Certificate, and proper Photographic identification.

In 2008, we all will require a PASSPORT.</blockquote>

Sigh, I remember just a few short years ago, all I needed to go skiing for a day at Whistler was my skis and a driver’s license. In July of 2001, I took my kayak to Johnstone Straights on the Northwest side of Vancouver Island, and didn’t even need to show my DL, just say where I was born and where I lived, going both ways. The longest undefended border in the world still is, but it is no longer hassle free.

I blame OBL and his ilk for this, and no one else.