Large Scale Central

American Invasion 2007

Steve Featherkile said:
Sigh, I remember just a few short years ago, all I needed to go skiing for a day at Whistler was my skis and a driver's license. ... I blame OBL and his ilk for this, and no one else.
Some years ago, shortly after my father died, my mother came over the pond for a visit. Before she left London, she took the precaution of getting a U.S. visa, in case we made a trip into the States. We did, and when we stopped at the border post at Rouses Point, the young agent took a look at her British passport (place of birth: Baltimore, Md) and asked, 'Why did those jerks make you get a visa, ma'am? You're one of us.' She replied politely that actually, her father was British, her mother Canadian, but the young man said that made no never-mind, and welcome back. An odd side effect occurred in the early '70s, when my younger brother spent a few months as an exchange student in the States; towards the end of his term, he received official notice that he really ought to register for the draft, his mother having been born in the U.S. Oddly enough, being born in Rome, he was also liable for the Italian draft, but he departed that land before he was 18. (In the end, as a young lawyer in London, he joined the Honourable Artillery Company, which some claim to be the oldest extant unit in the British Army -- a claim disputed by some upstart Guards regiment and one or two other junior units).
Chris Vernell said:
(In the end, as a young lawyer in London, he joined the Honourable Artillery Company, which some claim to be the oldest extant unit in the British Army -- a claim disputed by some upstart Guards regiment and one or two other junior units).
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. -- attributed to N. Bonaparte, then a young Lt Col of Artillery.

A few Brits have been caught on the hop by visiting ex colonies as tourists , to find that they are liable for call up .
This includes one of my twin daughters of all things , born in Cyprus . It was mentioned to her by an official there . They don’t enforce it unless you happent to speak Greek , then it may be a problem .
Not a lot to do with your common border , but it does show that archaic rules can affect our holidays .

Mike

PS My son was born in Scotland , and only just escaped when he drove some military gear up there last week . ;<)

Of course , I am being a rabid racist now .
Mike Morgan said:
My son was born in Scotland , and only just escaped when he drove some military gear up there last week . ;<) Of course , I am being a rabid racist now .
Absolutely foaming :D

“The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!”
Samuel Johnson, Esq.

Of course, my Canadian grandmother was a Cape Breton Scot – it seems I’m related to practically everyone in that neck of the woods, once or thrice removed.

Chris ,
The tragedy is , I can take the mick out of Irish , Scot , Welsh , English , people from Cornwall (they are different) ,Yorkshiremen ,
Americans , Canadians , Ozziz , Kiwiz , but not , not , not out of the Turbanned Gentleman from across the road . So can you , now why dat den ?
Is it 'cos we’s white ?

And my Passport sez “British” . I am not allowed to claim to be English .

Mike

PS . NOT hijacking post , just jealous of not being able to get there .

I should know next week what the BBQ will be this year at the “INVASION”

We were looking at a smal pig, and a roast of beef…

I still haven’t heard what the final plans in Montreal are.

If anyone is contemplating the idea of joining the “Invasion” this year; and wants more information on the hotel or anything…just call or email me.

You would be most welcome.

Sounds great Fred.

Since you seem to be wise in the ways of border crossing… Do you happen to know the legal limit of alcoholic beverages being imported to Canada? Specifically I’m thinking bhheer. I discovered a very nice local brew and I’d like to bring a sample to share. I know I can bring back two cases into the US, but don’t recall what I can bring with me into Canada.

Thanks!

JR

Jon Radder said:
Sounds great Fred.

Since you seem to be wise in the ways of border crossing… Do you happen to know the legal limit of alcoholic beverages being imported to Canada? Specifically I’m thinking bhheer. I discovered a very nice local brew and I’d like to bring a sample to share. I know I can bring back two cases into the US, but don’t recall what I can bring with me into Canada.

Thanks!

JR

From experiance, and I had a quiz last year from a Canadian Border patrolman…I case per customer. Though you may feign ignorance and get away with 2…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
From experiance, and I had a quiz last year from a Canadian Border patrolman..............I case per customer. Though you may feign ignorance and get away with 2...........;)
Thanks Ken -

Somewhere on the web I found it and I think it said two cases - but no matter.

I can just about guarantee that we will be boarded at the crossing this year since we will be travailing with our brand spankin’ new 30 Foot RV behind the truck. I’m sure the nice folks at the border will want to look around inside and maybe stay for a cup of coffee :slight_smile:

JR

Yup, don’t be surprised if they want to take off some of the panels, too.

You might hide a candy bar for them to find, deep under some screwed on panels.

“Oh! That is where that thing went to! Hilda, we found your candy bar!”

Or not. :smiley:

Steve Featherkile said:
Yup, don't be surprised if they want to take off some of the panels, too. [i][/i]
Been there, done that. In the early 80's I did sound systems for rock bands. I was returning from Toronto with my and the band's equipment in my step-van. I was traveling alone following the band who was in a car. At the border crossing US Customs noticed a seed in the carpet of the band's car. Since they had the import/export permits for all of the gear in my truck customs unloaded the truck and disassembled all of the equipment. Fortunately they found nothing else and we were allowed to re-assemble the gear and load the truck (without any help). 5 hours later we entered the US.

As a teenager I was traveling with my parents and grandmother in a rented motor-home. We entered Canada and at Canadian Customs they looked inside the door and asked the occupants “Are you carrying any firearms?” My grandmother quickly exclaimed “Why of course we are” and proceeded to show them the location of all the fire extinguishers :slight_smile:

Traveling is so much fun. I can’t wait.

JR

I guess what frosts me is that not too many years ago I could cross the border into Canada with nothing more than “Have a good day”. And I can remember when I used to live back East…had Vermont plates on the car…they would just wave me through. Sometimes the US customs on return would be buttholes…expecially if I had nothing to declare coming back. I can recall on one trip on my return the agent wanted to know what I bought while in Canada and I told him a McDonalds hamburger. That pissed him off and he dug through my car…and found nothing. That really pissed him off but he had to let me go. Of course, then I was a young buck and he just knew I was up to something…:confused:

I made a trip to Rosarito to pick some terracotta pottery. On the way back, the Customs agent didn’t want to talk to me, only my then 6 year old son.

Agent: (To 6 year old Jeremiah) Where have you been?

Jeremiah: To Mexkiko.

Agent: Are you bringing anything back?

Jeremiah: Nothing except for the pot in the back.

Agent: (swings flashlight to back of station wagon, sees pottery, bursts out laughing) You have a nice evening, sir.

Me: (With my heart in my throat) Yessir. (Drives into Sandy Ago.)

Steve Featherkile said:
On the way back, the Customs agent didn't want to talk to me, only my then 6 year old son.
Thirty or so years ago, when our daughters were about that age, we made regular trips to N.J. to visit my wife's parents. U.S. Customs sometimes spoke to the kids -- older daughter could recite from memory every exit on the Garden State Parkway from the Raritan south to Tuckerton, by name and number, plus some others south to Atlantic City.

Really, guys… I know you all feel the great need to keep me supplied with J.W.Dundee’s Original Honey Brown; but it isn’t a problem.
What really matters, is that you all get here safely, and are happy while you are here.
We do have a very diverse range of beverages available here, and I plan on being able to buy at least one for each of you. We even have good clean, healthy water to drink, or soft drinks and fruit beverages.
There is also the local whine maker at the corner who seems to show up and treat everyone to some of his prize winning whines.

SO…just get here safely and bring money…we accept good old US Dollars !!!

Fred Mills said:
SO....just get here safely and bring money....we accept good old US Dollars !!!!!!
Heck, we accept good new ones, too. Even Susan B Anthony.
Fred Mills said:
Really, guys.... I know you all feel the great need to keep me supplied with J.W.Dundee's Original Honey Brown; but it isn't a problem. What really matters, is that you all get here safely, and are happy while you are here. We do have a very diverse range of beverages available here, and I plan on being able to buy at least one for each of you. We even have good clean, healthy water to drink, or soft drinks and fruit beverages. There is also the local whine maker at the corner who seems to show up and treat everyone to some of his prize winning whines.

No worries Fred :slight_smile: I’d just like to share a local brew with a very appropriate name that I find very tasty. Berkshire Brewing Companies Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale and Gold Spike Ale. Both brewed on Railroad Street in Deerfield, Massachusetts. Not past your eyzed nor filtered. Fresh draught in 22 or 64 ox. bottles. Quite high in alchohol too (hic) :smiley:

JR

Fred Mills said:
Really, guys.... I know you all feel the great need to keep me supplied with J.W.Dundee's Original Honey Brown; but it isn't a problem. What really matters, is that you all get here safely, and are happy while you are here. We do have a very diverse range of beverages available here, and I plan on being able to buy at least one for each of you. We even have good clean, healthy water to drink, or soft drinks and fruit beverages. There is also the local whine maker at the corner who seems to show up and treat everyone to some of his prize winning whines.

Who the hell said anything about you? We bring all this good american brew for us…:wink:

I’ve got my room!

Just in case you haven’t called for yours yet, they only have 9 rooms left!

The young fellow in Montreal wants to know how many people are interested in the side trip to Montreal on the Monday/Tuesday after the Invasion.

The plan so far is to leave Ottawa on Monday the 23rd of July (Early), and tour “Rail Expo”, then there is another tour of a fellow’s indor (Massive) LS setup. It seems this guy has a building devoted to LS, and Gaetan has arranged a tour.

The Tuesday is to be spent at the Montreal Botanical Gardens…a must see.

Gaetan needs to know "Numbers", as he is arranging a reasonable hotel for anyone making the side trip. He is also arranging a dinner in Montreal.

Ken…your room awaits your arrival…!!!

Fred