thanks to some kind of activity-fit, i am building again.
a ten foot trestle.
to stand on a downwards-slope of 6%, the trestle will be going up, as well with 6%.
so the highest trestle will be 18" high.
the distances between trestles will be 6".
on a quickly nailed together jig, i marked the different lengths for the various trestles.
the ties, posts and beams (10 x 10 mm) are from cedar and the boards (2 x 10 mm) from
the posts are connected with cramps (just tackered), the boards are nailed on with
for the deck of the bridge (road"bed"?), i made another simple jig.
at the head i nailed on a single LGB-tie, on one of the sides i clamped a board as
such i could position two ties, fix them with the movable tieweb, nail every second to the
rails, and later take out the spaceholder ties.
(the 1 mm thick ruler beside the tieweb became necessary, because the carpenter cut
the ties 2 mm too long)
the rails are LGB 5’ long profiles.
the shortest nails, i could get here, are a wee bit too long.
to pinch them off a bit, would have meant pre-drilling and a lot more work.
so i choose another way.
after lightly hammer in the nails (the surgical tweezers did prevent a lot of finger-hits) and
driving them in, using a setscrew head down and the hammer, i bent the nails sideways
over the railfoot with the pincers.
then i helt the pincers from above upon the nailheads and hammering on the grip of the
pincers, drove the nails down on the foot of the rail.
in the eyes of many, this will not look nice, but work under the assumption, that on a
bigger layout the general impression will supersede details.
after i leveled the bench more or less, and prolongated it to ten foot, i connected the two 5 foot pieces with LGB fishplates, and screwed the beams to the ties.
now comes the interesting part.
for the trestles to stand straight, when everything is finished, they have to be fixed a 3.5°
inclinated to the beams.
my new jig (a board, sawed to the correct angle, and hindered from falling over by blocks
clamped to its sides) seems to give the adequate inclination.
i sawed a little groove as arrestor for the file, filed a little inclination, and am ready to nail
the first trestle to the beam.
as soon, as i have repaired my flexible elongationshaft for drilling, i will continue…