Large Scale Central

A Port Lavender Reefer

Sometime ago, Bart converted one of his 7/8 scale flatcars into a composite reefer.

I liked this idea and obtained a set of decals from Bart so I could build my own version.

I really liked the C&S 1113 Reefer. It was all wood with a steel underframe and has since been restored. I won’t be building an EXACT model of this, but it should be close.

Mike Oates had given me some Hartford Products Siding. It’s great wood siding, but it’s only 1/16" thick, so I’d have to build in inner frame to support it.

Looking around my shop, I realized I still had some EBT Boxcar kits left. Since I’ve already built eight of these, I wasn’t really inclined to build any more any time soon.

(Sure, I wonder why I bought them. :wink: )

I knew that this would provide a great frame for my reefer, but these are BIG cars.

I printed the plans in scale. The reefer I want to model is a 30 foot car, while the EBT boxcars are 34’. Plus they are a bit taller.

The first order of business was to cut the sides down to size.

I also had to cut the ends down, but once that was done I could glue them in place on the floor (which was also cut to length.)

After the ends were glued in place, I glued on the trimmed down sides.

On the EBT car, the roof pieces hang over the sides a bit. They’ll also do that on mine, but I want the roof to be wood, so I needed to trim the roof pieces as well - length and width.

Once the glue dried, I sanded the roof edge smooth with the side. In this picture, I’ve also glued the wooden ends in place.

Before I glued the roof pieces on, I painted the inside of the car black - I didn’t want any light to show through the door openings. Probably not necessary, but I think it will help. And if it doesn’t I haven’t lost anything.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/Reefers/PortLav/IMG_1669.JPG)

Before gluing the siding in place, I cut the door openings. The doors will not be operational, but there is a small gap around each door.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/Reefers/PortLav/IMG_1670.JPG)

I glue the siding in place and weight it down while the glue dries.

7/8 scale? Cool.

I can’t wait to see this car! What do you have in mind for trucks?

Neat project, Bruce… Nice start…

John Bouck said:

7/8 scale? Cool.

I can’t wait to see this car! What do you have in mind for trucks?

No, not me. :o That was what Bart had done originally. :slight_smile:

I’m doing this in 1:20. I will be getting some trucks from Rodney as I have had the best of luck with his trucks - they roll very freely and are nice and sturdy.

I hope you ain’t gonna paint that thing purple, like Bart does…:wink:

Good start. I’ve got a reefer in mind, too.

Nice start Bruce. You are on a roll this year

Ken Brunt said:

Oh yeah. It HAS to be purple - that was one of the conditions on getting the decals… :wink:

Though I am thinking that black and white might be nice, too. I don’t think he’ll make me give them back?

Good thing I have time to let the glue dry. :wink:

I applied the trim pieces. I made them a bit larger at top, so I could sand them flush with the roof edge once the glue had completely dried.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/Reefers/PortLav/IMG_1671.JPG)

Chuck,

You payin’ attention. Real wood glued to plastic. :slight_smile:

What kind of glue?

I’m a big fan of E-6000, so I used that to attach the wood to the acrylic. I prefer the black stuff, because it can be easily cleaned after it dries for just a bit. And glue always seems to need cleaning with me.

Today I started on the first layer of the roof. I cut some 3/16" x 1/32" pieces to length and glued them to the roof.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/Reefers/PortLav/IMG_1672.JPG)

nice progress… :slight_smile:

Looks great.

Terry

Bruce Chandler said:

Ken Brunt said:

Oh yeah. It HAS to be purple - that was one of the conditions on getting the decals… :wink:

Though I am thinking that black and white might be nice, too. I don’t think he’ll make me give them back?

Nope PURPLE!

I didn’t even make it through half of the roof before I ran out of wood. The parts I ordered should be here today if I can believe the tracking information.

In the meantime, I thought I should have a more detailed plan for this model.

I got out my Sharpie and stole a napkin from the kitchen. (BTW, a Sharpie and a napkin don’t go together that well; the Sharpie tears the napkin with just the slightest pressure.)

This “napkin building” is just not as easy as it looks.

…grinning…

cheap napkins…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:

cheap napkins…:wink:

But, they have little shells embossed on them. They must have cost at LEAST a buck for 50 of em.