Large Scale Central

5 & 10 cent store

I need to get the rest of my town up to 1:20 so it’s time to create a new building. I decided that a 5 and 10 cent store would be a neat addition. I found a bunch of great plans of old buildings over at Build Your Own Illinois Main Street: http://www.state.il.us/hpa/ps/construct_mainstreet.htm One that caught my eye was the E. Stein Building (http://www.illinoishistory.gov/ps/construct_mainstreet_stein.htm)

The plans are in HO, but I really wanted to find some pictures of what the building looked like to help in my modeling efforts. The pictures on the site just don’t provide enough details. Google didn’t help at first, until I found out that this is now called Island’s Cafe and is located in Blue Island - a suburb of Chicago. I found some really great shots. The first looks like before the turn of the century. It was the Edward Stein Hardware Store.

Maybe about 1915 or so, it’s now a Dodge Dealer. Note the gas pump out front. Some of the details above the front windows are gone; part of the lower plate windows are paneled over as well. The side of the building is now brick, and the road looks paved.

Maybe 1970 or so 1980. The building has been painted and it’s lost some of the decorations on top. It’s now a restaurant.

A few years later and an ugly awning has been added; the front window area has been redone with brick and the door has been moved over to the left.

I found it interesting to see the changes over the years. I’m planning on building it much like the original, but with brick on the side. I downloaded the plans and started measuring it - fortunately, I still own a very nice HO ruler, allowing me to measure directly from the plans. It’s a BIG building! If I built it to scale size it would dwarf all of my other buildings. I decided to make it two thirds size on height and width. For depth, I settled on about 24 feet, instead of 66! To see how it might look, I printed the front plans out to 2/3 scale size.

I’ll put the door on the left side back to scale, and the downstairs section will have a door in the center - much like the original picture above. But, this size looks like it will fit in with my other buildings. I don’t have the right plastic on hand, so I’ve put in an order for more. Once that arrives, I should be able to get to work.

A very interesting building… It will be a joy to watch you perform your magic, and view your construction pictures… :slight_smile:

That is a cool looking building.
And the awning certainly looks like crap :wink:
Panel over the upper portion of the windows looks bad too.
You have to wonder what people were thinking when they made these “improvements”.
Ralph

I’m planning on using the foamed PVC board again. It holds up well and cuts fairly easily. Cutting the windows out is tedious - I’ve decided to just use the knife, so it’s lots of passes. Here’s the top part of the front.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Structures/JRadder/IMG_0010.JPG)

The turret looks to be the hardest part to make. I started with making an octagon base and then cutting the lower and upper side pieces. Here the bottom ones are shown loosely placed, while the top pieces are stacked next to them.

(https://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Structures/JRadder/IMG_0011.JPG)

Nice looking building. Was that Rooster standing on the corner (photo with the awning)

Niccceee building Bruce! I like the stage at which you’ve decided to duplicate. May I ask why you decided to add the extra side to the turret? The prototype has 5 sides made and it looks like you are doing 6.

Dave Marconi said:
May I ask why you decided to add the extra side to the turret? The prototype has 5 sides made and it looks like you are doing 6.
I guess that depends on whether it's above or below the roof line ;) Ralph

This thread will certainly be interesting to follow…:wink:

Dave Marconi said:
Niccceee building Bruce! I like the stage at which you've decided to duplicate. May I ask why you decided to add the extra side to the turret? The prototype has 5 sides made and it looks like you are doing 6.
It would be hard to do it with 6 wouldn't it? I don't know what I was thinking. You're right. 5 it is. ;)

Sorry, but at least it was caught early :slight_smile:

Bruce,
At least you can still use what you’ve already done .
Ralph

Nice choice!!
At least all the turret windows appear to be the same width!
Almost looks to me as if the side was skimmed with the brick(why I don’t know?) but notice how the side windows are recessed and the front are flush (the side windows are flush on the original pic) Also the arch above the windows on the side kinda gives it away.

Dave Marconi said:
Sorry, but at least it was caught early :)
Heh. That just means I cut some extra pieces. No big deal.

David, even if they aren’t all the same width, they will be! I think you’re right about the side, but I’ll probably go with the original style and make it look like it was built that way.

In the original form, it looks like the building had a downstairs - notice the railing along the walk and the building towards the back has lower windows. When they paved or whatever the street, maybe there was adidtional construction done that required the side to be bricked over? In my old neighborhood something similair happened when they widened a street through the business district. Owners had to remove stariwells and provide access to the basment from another area.

Steve: I think you’re right. The front of the railing, near the men and wagon, looks like a gate, and you can see where there is an incline. Maybe deliveries were downstairs.

That’s a very cool building. Nice choice Bruce! It’s fun to see how things change over time.

Bob McCown said:
Steve: I think you're right. The front of the railing, near the men and wagon, looks like a gate, and you can see where there is an incline. Maybe deliveries were downstairs.
Yep. In pictures # 2 & # 3 it looks like there are trap doors to the basement. Also gone in the later pictures. Ralph

Bruce,

At the risk of sounding like your favorite waiter; “Great choice”! That’s a wonderful looking structure. The turret roof will require a bit of work to get it into proper proportion I think. I’ll be very interested in your solutions and how this progresses for sure.

Richard Smith said:
Bruce,

At the risk of sounding like your favorite waiter; “Great choice”! That’s a wonderful looking structure. The turret roof will require a bit of work to get it into proper proportion I think. I’ll be very interested in your solutions and how this progresses for sure.

That’s exactly what I was thinkin…:wink:

Is it done yet?