Large Scale Central

2023 MIK's Build Challenge, Post your Photos HERE for Voting

PLEASE DO NOT POST COMMENTS ABOUT BUILDS IN THIS THREAD.

Post them in the individual build threads.

This thread is for pictures of the builds for voting.

Each participant needs to post his photos and comments of his finished or unfinished challenge build.

Please identify who you are, and what you built, and any other comment you would want to tell about your build.

Please keep this thread clean of comments about the builds.

And limit posting to the participants of Mik’s build Challenge 2022.

I’ll Jump in. First this is a DNF. The thread opener says finished or unfinished and Jim wanted me to post it so I am. It still has a ways to go to be complete. But the building is supposed to be a reasonable facsimile of a real turn of the century (19th to 20th) saloon/ billiard hall/ hotel in Burke, ID.

The Burke 2

I used to have a real clear picture of the front of this building but I lost it in a computer crash and have never been able to find it since. I always knew I would model it someday. To me it just yells frontier boom town.

Here is the requisite napkin drawing

napkin

and where it sits at this time.

burke front
Burke side

Some of the finer points. Main construction is .125 styrene sheet. Lap siding is hand cut ,020 styrene strips 5mm wide. Shake roof is hand split cedar shakes. Decking and balcony are redwood stained with a honey pecan stain. Windows and doors are 3D printed with a backing of silver foil tape on styrene to give it a glass reflective look (thanks for that tip Rooster). It sits on a 3/4 PVC base.

Things left to do. . .Finish the roof, signage, finish the balcony railing.

Been a fun build and one project out of my bucket.

3 Likes

The start[Uploading: AA6E5B65-1954-4239-B0D0-DCB5E1155422.jpeg…](
This is the first time I have had the actual time to build something at take my time. I retired after 48 years of driving truck, so plenty of time

The obligatory washer photos

and some out on the layout. There is construction going on in the back yard and I didn’t want to drag a bunch of detail stuff out.
Gray “brick’ is composite wood the walls are coroplast with plastic brick sheets covering it. I spray painted teh brick then went back with a brush and added the shaded colors.
The A/C unit is a chunk of composite wood with some window screen for grillwork, 26g wire for electrical power, and on a whim gave the a/c a company name after someone said it needs something. Devon 3d printed the bank sign and I carved the little round detail and the corbels for the overhang over the door. A small night deposit box was made for the right side of the building.
Curtains are some bow material from Hobby Lobby, door handles extra from USA cars. Only out of pocket was the 4 sheets of plastic brick each bag of 2 sheets was $6.25 i used 2 bags so call it $15.00 with shipping for the whole build.
Iview of the corbels holding the “porch

dont know if it shows up but I spent an hour with an exacto knife cutting the ends of the 2 sheets of brick to weave them in so they dont show up as much. something I never had the time before.

3 Likes

double post, my mistake, Bob, delete if you need to, thanks.
Forgot no signing your posts.

Juan More Taco
My challenge this year. Not a building or train but a food cart, something that could found then and now in practically every town and city downtown. Given my predilection for the southwest I made a mule drawn taco wagon. Mostly Basswood, repurposed train wheels into wagon wheels and whatever I had in my parts bins. The cooktop is styrene as are the knife and ladle, the meat is painted sawdust. Total cost $1.50 for two scale tacos. :taco:

The mules harness is simple electric tape, fine for indoor use. The background “downtown” are 1/35 military model buildings repurposed for planned my indoor layout. They are also strictly for indoors. The Piko is there for scale reference. Given how paltry pickings have been for large scale I figure improvisation might be the best way to go.

2 Likes

Acme Surplus/Acme Pawn was my goal for this year’s challenge. It’s a complimentary structure to the massive feed mill next door and draws the eyes towards the feed mill.

The build was completely scratch built with 1/8" and .020" styrene and massive amounts of MEK.

Tucked into it’s home!

Now that the challenge is over, I’m working back on the feed mill and hopefully will get an interior started for this and the feed store.
Guess I’ll need plant a tree in front now!

This was a fun build and challenged me to think in new ways for a structure I wasn’t planning on building yet!

2 Likes

Another fine challenge that stretched our skills and imaginations.
All in all I had to buy 3 bottles of craft paint but used maybe 1/4 of each. We can call that $5. The Dunkin Donuts signs were going to be a focal point so instead of trying to print them I bought the decals and stuck them to black styrene I had. This was the biggest expenditure at $9. I tried out my new 3D printer and made the roof top turbo vents and HVAC unit but did not glue them on yet. How do we price out the printing? Anyways I’d say I was under $20 with this build.

I almost forgot to add the mail on the rail for take out on the run so I’m glad Dave gave us an extra day to work.
My inspiration.

And the near finished rendering.

and here is a quick video I made where the crew of the Shay picked up their breakfast and dropped off some extra napkins at the Grand Opening.

3 Likes

For this year’s Mik, I chose to build a bank to accompany the jail and general store in my very short main street in the town of Durango.

Here’s the napkin drawing, such as it is:

And an inspiration building, though I’m going to be using the local rock for a really rough look, as opposed to nicely rectangular stones:

Here are a few photos of the final building:

I only had to buy a few tools: $13 for some grout brushes and $4 for a masonry bit. The lights I had laying around (they are from Locomotive Joe). The banker guy came in a batch of figures I bought from @Rick_Marty .

I did get some contribution from @WaverlySouthern who 3D printed the sign my son designed for me. Thanks, Dan!

Edited to add link to build: Jim Rowson 2023 Mik challenge build: Bank of Durango

1 Like

For this years MIK I decided to do a Meat Market/Butcher shop in honor of my Dad who spent 40 + years working at that trade.

The inspiration building comes from a picture I have had in my someday file for years.

The “sort of” napkin drawing to try to get the size and proportions right.

The construction process was pretty straight forward and explained in the build thread here

We got a little sunshine this afternoon so was able to get some outdoor pictures just sitting on the tables it will find it’s home next Spring. It is done except for permanent signs that are waiting the new Circut and it’s learning curve.

The pictures.

A little roof detail

Some night time lighting shots.

Everything was scratch built except the NBW’s and the figures etc. on the front walk. I bought a tube of Liquid Nails for foam and a can of blue spray paint and only used some of each probably 2 dollars invested in this, everything else was on hand.

Again this year it is going to be impossible to decide on favorite entries because of all the great builds presented. Thanks for the fun guys.

3 Likes

Gasoline Fuel Island

Well my build is nothing compared to the other builds, but here goes. Since I could not locate the garage my father built, I added the sign that would be on the connecting cover.

The die cut shapes were $8.40 for 12 and I wasted 4 getting the letters correct. Ended with 2 good signs, that cost was $4.20 for 6. The necklace for the chain was $3.95. Total cost $8.15.

This model picture (background) shows what many 1910 to 1920"s would have as a cover out to the pump island. The interesting part is to realize many rural gas stations would not have a tanker truck deliver fuel and oil. The product was brought in reusable cans for gasoline and oil.

I am just starting out building my garden railroad. From the front of the house, the next section in the spring will continue around the side of the house. Thanks for all the building info I read about this past month!

2 Likes

My mik 2023 build was to be a typical 1880’s building you would find in most every western town. A wood two story affair with a untakertakers Funeral Parlor on the ground floor and a Dr’s office upstairs. The inspiration was from the old “Gunsmoke” TV series with Doc on the second floor. Even with the added time I’m still a DNF. Windows and doors and signs and some paint.

The napkin:

I’ll get done up right, but not today.

4 Likes

Aloha from the Crew of the Triple O!

Below please find voting pictures for Makeke o Haluku’ilio (The Market of Dog Wallow).

This year, we decided to make a pierside market (makeke) for the fictional harbor town of Haluku’ilio (Dog Wallow). Normally, we go all-in on one structure. This year, each 1:1 crewman decided to do their own stall. Two of the 1:1 crew, Kid-zilla and Y.D., ultimately combined efforts, which was just as well given space constraints. All told, I think we spent $7.00 for the drawer knobs that became bollards.

First, a review of the napkins…

Now, let us head to Haluku’ilio where a band of adventurers approaches the harbor under the watchful eye of Haluku’ilio’s finest.

They will be able to tie up to the new pier using the bollards, which, in the 1:1 world are cheap drawer knobs painted black.

We built the pier from scrap plywood mounted on repurposed wood from a long-broken easel.

Passengers arriving by train had to wait as the world-famous ka’a waa’ (double-hulled sailing locomotive) Wahine o ka alahao pulled up with a last minute delivery.

The backs of the market stalls tempted the visitors as they passed a pair of street musicians.

Proceeding up to the dock they get a chance to see O.S.'s model airplane stand.

O.S. chose as a sub-challenge to use no more materials than those he pulled at the start and to make the model airplanes semi-scale miniatures from plans he has in a book. These are in view below behind the plexiglass front and on the counter.

The pirate has just negotiated for a nice Corsair for his sidekick. O.S. crafted this entirely from scraps and notes he mixed the paint himslef

The next stall, made mostly of foam, features Kid-zilla’s foam cutting expertise and Y.D.'s eye for details. She crafted the various fruit from clay.

Coming next is O.D.'s curios shop, inspired from a cartoon, I understand. She crafted the furniture from basswood, mostly, then painted it with acrylics. PLAYMOBIL bits supplied the curios.

The last stand, by yours truly, sells “large scale” trains. The stand’s frame came from a broken toy, the siding from scrap craft sticks, and the roof from old roofing material. I had the CRICUT cut the main sign (Na Ka’a Ahi Iki for little fire "coaches). All the rest are handmade using alcohol markers. The model trains are scraps of wood shaped with a Dremel. The train boxes are foam.

We leave with one last shot, taken from the steeple of the nearby church.

This was unique build for us, as everyone had control of their fate. O.D. agreed with me, though, that we missed the controlled chaos of a single build. My hope is that next year, at long last, one of the crew will be my competitor!

Thanks to @Dave_Taylor for hosting what has become a family tradition and to all the participants who shared their skills along the way as we undertook the challenge!

On Behalf of Clan Mueller,

Good luck to all and aloha!

Eric

5 Likes

WSRR Mik 2023 Challenge - School House

I didn’t even come close to finishing so this is a DNF post. So far, the only cost is some extra sintra I had to purchase to the tune of about $15.00. This is a big structure at around 30"x28"x30". It is constructed of wester red cedar and sintra with 3D printing accounting for the windows, doors and foundation brick. I’ve still have a long way to go but here is where we stood on 2/6/23.

Napkin drawing

3D Model

Current progress

As you can tell from the photos, the bell tower is just sitting on temporary supports for the sake of taking photos. The roof and second floor are removal via the use of magnetic tape. Thanks to everyone who followed the build and provided comments and guidance.

Most of all I want to Thanks Dave Taylor for putting this challenge together each year and providing the much needed adult supervision. Thanks, Dave.