Large Scale Central

2013 American Invasion of Ottawa Timetable

The 2013 American Invasion of Ottawa

Each year since 1998, the Ottawa Valley GRS has invited their American friends to operate their trains in an annual event that has come to be known as The American Invasion of Ottawa. This year “The Invasion” will take place from Thursday, July 18th to Monday, July 22nd.

Thursday, July 18

For those arriving early in the day there will be an operating session on the IPP&W Railway beginning at 2 in the afternoon. Dinner will likely be pizza ordered in. After dinner, the crews’ lounge on the IPP&W will host the group for drinks and some live music featuring our very own Chris Lyon and Mike Hamer.

Friday, July 19

The IPP&W Railway will host a standard gauge operating session. The exact format is to be determined. It could be two sessions back to back with a lunch break, or it may be a continuous operation until you drop.

Lunches will be served Friday and Saturday at a cost of $5 per person. No dinners are planned and everyone is free to dine in their own style in the evening. There will be a social gathering each evening after dinner at the IPP&W Railway crews’ lounge.

David McCurdy wanted to host the Friday operating sessions in Carleton Place, but unfortunately the changes he is making to his railroad will not be completed in time. We all look forward to spending a day with David during the 2014 American Invasion of Ottawa.

Saturday, July 20

The IPP&W Railway will host narrow gauge operating sessions. Again the exact format has yet to be determined.

Sunday, July 21

This is a travel day to allow the group to move to Marengo, New York. For those arriving in the afternoon, the Finger Lakes Live Steamers will host a get together after dinner at their club facility. Our American visitors on their way south to Marengo are welcome to visit with Doug Matheson on Sunday morning to operate on his Northland Railway.

Monday, July 22

In Marengo, there are ride-on trains and an operating session on their gauge 1 layout at the Finger Lakes Live Steamers club facilities.

Unfortunately, Jane and I won’t make the trip this year…

I’ve got my reservations made.

I’d love to find someone to car/van pool with.

I am located in northern Vermont.

Reservations made…

I plan to be in Ottawa, won’t be at Finger Lakes.

July 23 a few will be stopping by my place. Invite is open to anyone who might be passing by.

Shawn Viggiano said:

July 23 a few will be stopping by my place. Invite is open to anyone who might be passing by.

I heard Freddy Krueger might be in the area. Should I send him your address ?

Sure Jon. All are welcome. :wink:

We begin our pilgrimage north this coming Wednesday. Things have heated up around here and it times to “get out of Dodge”. Looking forward to seeing every one and running some trains.

Drive safe Ric. Looking forward to seeing you on the 23.

Sorry, but it’s not exactly cool up here either, Ric… (understatement) .
But between here and there, you’ll have plenty of lakes to jump into!
Shawn, it was lovely to meet you and your little family in March. Too bad you all aren’t coming up. Hope to see you again next year…
I’m driving to Ottawa with Backyard Railroader Clubmates Ian and Joan Mooney - they were at York this year and at Ottawa Invasion & Finger Lakes Steam-Up last year. We’re camping at the same place as Jan and Ric …

John Le Forestier said:

Us Invaders have come to realize what you Great White Northerners consider HOT is actually quite cooler then where we’ve just come from. We get a kick out of all youse guys complaining about the heat while we find it a lot more comfortable then what we left at home…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:

John Le Forestier said:

Us Invaders have come to realize what you Great White Northerners consider HOT is actually quite cooler then where we’ve just come from. We get a kick out of all youse guys complaining about the heat while we find it a lot more comfortable then what we left at home…:wink:

Amen to THAT.

Let’s see…yesterday July 7 in Burke, VA: High 92, low 71. In Ottawa: High 75, low 64.

And 92 down here is pure misery since it is accompanied by the high humidity. Shade helps…but not much.

Bruce Chandler said:

Ken Brunt said:

John Le Forestier said:

Amen to THAT.

Let’s see…yesterday July 7 in Burke, VA: High 92, low 71. In Ottawa: High 75, low 64.

And 92 down here is pure misery since it is accompanied by the high humidity. Shade helps…but not much.

Plus when you throw in all that Celsius stuff…

UPDATED: JULY 12TH

The 2013 American Invasion of Ottawa

Thursday, July 18

For those arriving early in the day there will be a standard gauge operating session on the IPP&W Railway beginning at 2 in the afternoon. Dinner will likely be pizza ordered in. After dinner, the crews’ lounge on the IPP&W will host the group for drinks and some live music featuring our very own Chris Lyon and Mike Hamer.

Friday, July 19

The IPP&W Railway will host two standard gauge sessions with a lunch break in between.

Lunches will be served Friday and Saturday at a cost of $5 per person. No dinners are planned and everyone is free to dine in their own style in the evening. There will be a social gathering each evening after dinner at the IPP&W Railway crews’ lounge.

David McCurdy wanted to host the Friday operating sessions in Carleton Place, but unfortunately the changes he is making to his railroad will not be completed in time. We all look forward to spending a day with David during the 2014 American Invasion of Ottawa.

Saturday, July 20

The IPP&W Railway will host two narrow gauge sessions with a lunch break in between.

Sunday, July 21

Our American visitors on their way south to Marengo are welcome to visit with Doug Matheson on Sunday morning for a standard gauge operating session on his Northland Railway.

The afternoon is a travel day to allow the group to move to Marengo, New York. For those arriving in the afternoon, the Finger Lakes Live Steamers will host a get together after dinner at their club facility.

Monday, July 22

In Marengo, there are ride-on trains and an operating session on their gauge 1 layout at the Finger Lakes Live Steamers club facilities.

(http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/pagepix/air08.jpg)

Hi folks

Martha and I have had something come up and we will be unable to attend the invasion after all.

However, we have, apparently, a non-refundable room at the HI Express in Ottawa. Does anyone want to take it, we’ll even pay the difference between your room and this one. We’d just rather not eat the whole thing. The room is for Thu - Sat night, 426.18 CAD (which I assume will be a bit higher, actually).

Any takers?

Bob McCown said:

Hi folks

Martha and I have had something come up and we will be unable to attend the invasion after all.

However, we have, apparently, a non-refundable room at the HI Express in Ottawa. Does anyone want to take it, we’ll even pay the difference between your room and this one. We’d just rather not eat the whole thing. The room is for Thu - Sat night, 426.18 CAD (which I assume will be a bit higher, actually).

Any takers?

And, gone. Thanks Don!

Thank goodness! We’ll miss you and Martha, though, Bob. Hope whatever ‘come up’ isn’t worrisome stuff.
Be sure to come up next year, OK?

Bob McCown said:

Hi folks

I guess we’ll see you guys in September then…you’ll be missed in Ottawa…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:

Bob McCown said:

Hi folks

I guess we’ll see you guys in September then…you’ll be missed in Ottawa…:wink:

Bob can always come down to my place on the 23rd.