Large Scale Central

Wye? Because. Third Base!

Sorry, but with the World Series on, I couldn’t resist.

Now, to my question before this august group. If I build a wye, using a #6 commercial frog as the starting point, will I then have a #3, or #6 wye? The answers, of course, won’t change anything, in the great scheme of things, but it will help me to sleep at night.

If you use a #6 frog, and position it evenly, so each leg diverts at the same rate, then each leg will be diverting as if they came from a #12 switch.

But since the different legs will be diverging the same rate as they would from a number 6 switch, I guess it would be a number 6 Wye.

David Maynard said:

If you use a #6 frog, and position it evenly, so each leg diverts at the same rate, then each leg will be diverting as if they came from a #12 switch.

But since the different legs will be diverging the same rate as they would from a number 6 switch, I guess it would be a number 6 Wye.

David,

As I understand the frog number system…the #6 is the ratio of divergence. Therefore 1 in 6. That is NOT a variable. To get a #12 switch to divert as a #12, you have to use a #12 frog. You are correct that a #6 frog on a wye or any other switch with a #6 frog is STILL a #6.

Steve,

As to your question: A #3 frog will give you a #3 wye.A #6 frog will give you a #6 wye.

I used Sunset Valley switches on my layout and they are engineered and built the same as the prototype. I used a #4 WYE (14 degree, 1 in 4 with a 90 inch radius) and #6 left/right switches (9.5 degree, 1 in 6 with a 90 inch radius). My purpose was to hold to a 90 inch radius MINIMUM on the layout. Radii was more important to me than the frog number.

Hope this helps :).

A #6 wye is #6 divergence on both routes… a #6 switch is straight on one side and #6 divergence on the other.

#6 means a 1 in 6 divergence vs. travel… go 6 inches and it should diverge 1 inch.

This pictures on this page will be pretty self-explanatory:

http://www.elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=327:aristo-6-wye&catid=20:track&Itemid=365

Greg

Because the ‘action’ of the frog is doubled it might seem that it is a different #. Yet, as Gary pointed out, it’s the divergence that determines the #.

Now to continue the banter, the Wye frog should be confused with a #3, not the other way, just because of the doubled divergence in that track configuration. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)More (d)in fewer feet (run)…

Happy Rails,

John

So, after all this, a #6 frog yields a #6 wye. Correct?

Gary Armitstead said:

David Maynard said:

David,

As I understand the frog number system…the #6 is the ratio of divergence. Therefore 1 in 6. That is NOT a variable. To get a #12 switch to divert as a #12, you have to use a #12 frog. You are correct that a #6 frog on a wye or any other switch with a #6 frog is STILL a #6.

Yes, the divergence from each leg of the switch is a number 6. 1 unit of separation for 6 units of travel. I agree, that is fixed. What I am saying is that since both legs diverge, each leg diverges from a straight path at half the angle. So, each leg diverges from a straight path the same amount as a number 12 switch.

Now, yer jes trying’ to cornfuse me, aintcha.

Steve Featherkile said:

Now, yer jes trying’ to cornfuse me, aintcha.

But of course. Have I succeeded?

Is Devon involved with this question ?..!!

the answer should be simple.

imaging a right No 6 layed on top a left No 6. = two desviations of “6” each. (together a No 3 desviation)

imaging a right No 12 layed on top a left No 12. = two desviations of “12” each. (together a No 6 desviation)

and, for sure, a wye-frog needs to “desviate” to both sides. = has to be double as wide, than a frog of a “normal” switch.

Korm yes, but the question was based on using a number 6 frog, so its a number 6 Wye. I was just explaining the track would not diverge from the center-line of the straight track as fast as a “regular” number 6’s diverging track would diverge.

A frog is a frog is a frog…regardless of the track work it is used in.

This was gleaned from http://www.ltrc.lsu.edu/ltc_13/pdf/presentations/S38_Railroad%20Engineering%20101_LTC2013.pdf

Jeeze… I think I see what Steve is asking.

If you used the frog from a #6 Wye in a regular switch, you would have a #3 switch… is that what you are asking Steve?

Indeed, the frog removed from a #6 wye will measure a 1 in 3 divergence, just like my picture showed in the link… I thought the picture in my link would have helped.

Greg

Nice photo at the bottom of this page. All you need to know.

https://www.sunsetvalleyrailroad.com/switches.html

Now, to my question before this august group. If I build a wye, using a #6 commercial frog as the starting point, will I then have a #3, or #6 wye?

It doesn’t matter what kind of switch it is. A #6 frog makes a #6 switch. What the rails do after that has nothing to do with the frog.

Ken, my friend; you are oh so correct, but as as others who have made basically the same statement have found; a bunch of people can’t seem to understand the statement, and basically can’t comprehend what a #6 frog is, and what a certain switch, wye or otherwise is, when designed as a #6 switch.

Fred Mills

Fred Mills said:

Is Devon involved with this question ?..!!

How did I get brought into this?