Large Scale Central

WSRR 2024 Mik Challenge Ore Bin

Thanks, Devon and Todd. I thought about reaching out to him but decided in the end to design my own. I am using his as general guide. Todd, you are correct about the laser. I would still be cutting individual boards.

No progress during the week lately due to work travel. Generally only getting a few hours on Saturday before heading back out on Sundays. Doubt I’ll get done, but that’s not unusual for me.

Finally back home. Started working on building over ore bin this afternoon. Got all the wood cut for the studs and roof joists. Started putting those together but first had to make a glue-up jig.

Each one of the glue-ups will be doubled and get gusset plates as shown below.

Only 4 (8) more to go :grimacing:

All the walls and flooring have been cut, so once I get the suds and joists glued together, it should go pretty quick.

Keep plugging away. You got tjis

Ok, here is where we started yesterday morning.

Nothing glued, just clamped to make sure everything fits as planned. Once convinced we were on the right track, got it all glued and pinned together.

Also got the track installed. Here is where we stand as of right now.

I should be home every day this week so I can get the roof finished, windows installed, chutes designed, printed and installed and then get a finish on it. Also still have to build the lower support structure, but that will have to wait until next weekend.

Oh, and I can’t forget my trusty helper …

That would be Mr. Win Chester

1 Like

Love the extra structure on the tipple! Will you be lighting the interior?

I guess we know who gets to ride “shotgun” in the car! :cowboy_hat_face:

I cannot comment on the build thread but I DO like Mr. Win Chester !

BTW …Sarah’s inherited Gothic house is amazing and on my bucket list!

Bill, I have no plans to add lights.

Yep. When I picked up my new truck back during the summer, he took his customary position …….

But his favorite activity is ………

1 Like

Thanks, Rooster. Here is one of his glamour shots ….

1 Like

Nothing better than watching a good bird dog work. I was fortunate enough to have 2 great ones in the past, an English Pointer and a Brittany.

Edit to add, ow by the way the project looks fantastic!!

Damn dude, that’s looking like Cliff built it. That looks fantastic.

Oops accidentally posted my progress on Dan’s post sorry Dan

He better get his international drivers licence for Australia. It isn’t all bad news, you’ll be able to hang your head out the window as he drives you around down here. :upside_down_face:

Rick, I’m not sure there are many things I’d rather do than see a good bird dog perform and the older I get the shorter that other list gets. I’ve been fortunate to have two good ones recently, both german pointers, a wirehair and a shorthair. I lost the shorthair in 2022 due to Addison’s disease and the wirehair is now retired enjoying a leisurely life of sleeping on the couch and chasing squirrels out of the yard. Both were the same age and were wonders to watch, especially when they were together. I’ve never seen 2 dogs that worked as well together as those two. Mr. Win Chester is still a puppy in the world of hunting dogs, but mature beyond his years. He had a 700 yard retrieve in South Dakota this year. Bad shot on my part, great recovery on his.

Now Devon, that’s like me calling you a chef :grin: I think of myself as a good builder, but definitely not on the same planet as Cliff when it comes to modeling. But I do appreciate the compliment.

Bill, he is constantly practicing his driving. Everytime I get out of the truck and leave him alone, he’s in the driver’s seat when I return and swears he can drive if I’d let him :rofl:

1 Like

A good looking dog and a great looking build!

Thanks on both accounts, Todd.

Not much done this week. Did get the finish on the outside and finalized the chute door opening mechanism. I’ll get that and the windows for the shed on the printer in the morning and then get the tin cut and formed. If the weather holds out I should be able to get the support structure cut and put together.

1 Like

Great door mechanism. Will you be harvesting that off a printer in the morning?

Thanks, Bill. I thought I would be doing just that, but I had to change the FEP film on the printer this morning due to a failed print earlier in the week and while doing so I broke one of the rings that hold the FEP in place. Damn chinese crap :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: New resin tray on order, but that means I will not be able to pring the chute mechanisms. Once the windows get done, I will see if I can at least print the chutes and stick those on there or I may simple build some simple wooden ones.

Much progress today. The base is built and just needs to be painted. I’m thinking a flat black. Windows have been printed and installed. I’ve got an alternate chute and gate printing on the FDM printer as I type. Just might get to a point tomorrow where I can call it done. I need to check how long we have to post final photos, I’ll be on the road all week and won’t have an opportunity to take any after tomorrow until next weekend.

Its 930 mm/36.5 inches tall at the roof peak.

2nd chute finished printing while typing :grinning: :grin:

tic toc …tic toc … tic toc…

tic toc …tic toc … tic toc…

And the gates …

The idea on the gates is there is a hand winch in the ore house above that workers can use to open and close the gates. Plan to run what will look like either cable or chain through the floor and secure it. It’ll all be just an illusion :grin:

2 Likes

Looking good Dan can’t wait to see the printed chutes