Large Scale Central

WSRR 2024 Mik Challenge Ore Bin

This has been one of the more challenging set of build instructions due to the mountain of options available. But the boys in the shop heard a rumor a few weeks back that there was gold in them thar hills and they wanted to stake their claim. So I give you Shatzi’s Goldmine ore bin.

Obligatory napkin drawing:

More to follow.

1 Like

I can’t wait. I avoided ore bins and here you decide to tackle them. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

The boys in the shop were restless last night so they got up early and got the engineers to working. Here is the engineers’ “napkin drawing”

Ore Bin Rev 1 v15

Our plan is to get all the bin framing cut this weekend and maybe start putting it together. We will also attempt to get some of the bin cladding cut. For perspective, the overall height is 915mm (36") (about 61’ in 1:20.3). the bin is 400mm (15.75") wide by 280mm (11") deep and 412mm (16.25") tall which is 26.25’ x 18.6’ x 27’ in 1:20.3. All approximate values. I know, why is a redneck from Alabama using millimeters. To be honest, its just much simpler and I need simple :grimacing:

Still have to figure out the chute mechanism, but that can wait for now. That is a late night project.

Thanks for following along.

1 Like

When building in 1:20.3 I always use metric. 15mm=1 foot. The only way it would be simpler would be if it were 12mm, then inches would be an even 1mm rather than 1.25mm.

EDIT to add a nod to Kevin Strong who pointed that out many moons ago.

Wow that is going to be an impressive build and at 36" tall it will be like a giant. Will the chutes be functional or just for looks?

@JRad Yep, that’s what I use Jon. I also use metric because the slicer software I use for the 3D printer prefers mm and so does my new laser. Not that they can’t be used with inches, it’s just easier to deal with the metric system. I have metric and imperial tape measures laying around the shop. It’s gotten to the point that every time I pick up an imperial one it takes a moment for my mind to register what I am looking at.

@capecodtodd For the Mik challenge they will be just for looks. I plan to include all the mechanical parts to make them look realistic, but they will not be operational. I may go back later and make them functional … yeah, right :rofl:

The shop crew accomplished their primary goal today which was to get the lumber for the ore bin milled. Took 'em awhile to get going this morning , but once they did they got it knocked out.

Doesn’t look like it, but that’s 3 four foot sections of 1x6 western red cedar and a 2x3 cut off about 30 inches long left over from last year’s Mik. There are 1:1 8x8s, 8x14s and 10x14s all just for this framing:

Bin Framing

Thanks for following along.

1 Like

It is insane how much wood goes into one of these. I built a coaling tower for the Mik in 2018 and it had over 300 individual pieces of wood in it. Mine had 1 chute that raised and lowered with a finger but nothing actually came out.
I’m already a fan of this build and it has barely begun.
Here is a photo of mine that might give you some ideas.

1 Like

Yep, that already answers one of my quandaries. Thanks, Todd. What’s the chain made of and where might it have come from?

That’s ambitious but will be beautiful when done

I bought a roll of it at Michaels craft store in the bead/jewelry section. They had different sized linked chain in gold, silver and black. The pulleys are brake wheels. I glued the chain to them.

Thanks for the info, Todd. I might need to make a trip to Michael’s.

Dan,
Aliexpress is a good source for chain outside of the Mik-mas season as shipping can take a long time.

Not a lot of progress since milling the lumber mentioned earlier. I did get started putting the ore bin itself together, still a long way to go. My plan is to use an exterior grade plywood for the interior of the bin and use the laser to score/engrave lines to simulate individual boards. I ran a test piece to determine the settings needed to get something that looked reasonable.

The line widths are from 0.75 mm to 1.0 mm in 0.05 mm increments. I ran each line at 4 different settings on the laser. Starting from the top set, 40% power @ 100 mm/s, 40 @ 150, 40 @ 200 and the bottom set is 30 @ 200. I then added the wash that I plan to use. The photo is misleading. When looking at the actual wood in natural light, the bottom set is only faintly visible. My eye tells me to use the 0.8 mm line with settings of 40% power @ 150 mm/s. Anybody have another suggestion?

if it were for a buiding of mine, i would choose one of the lowest three lines in the second block from above.

not too broad to look “open”, but strong enough to turn the eyes away from the 1:1 grain.

(talkng about grain… if you got enough plywood to be picky, i would choose parts of ply with grain like behind the two lowest blocks of lines)

look, how disturbing 1:1 grain can be:

lostgulfalt1

Thanks, Korm. Kinda what I was thinking. Just enough to make you see individual boards. I hadn’t thought about the 1:1 grain, great point.

Got all the bin frames put together today, now its just a matter of assembling them to form the bin. Started working on that.

The 2 outside frames have been glued and pinned, everything else is just clamped at the moment. I started cutting and engraving the interior of the bin as you can see in the above photo. That piece will be turned over so the engraving can be seen from the outside. Just wanted to see how it looks. I will also go ahead and stain the interior before assembly, will be much, much easier.

That’s all for now, more tomorrow … maybe.

I dont know why but I just love ore bins. This is gonna be cool.

We’re getting there. Not a whole lot of time available these days due to work travel :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Got the bin itself built but still needs some more bracing and a lot of details like the chutes and their respective operating mechanisms and a whole lot of NBWs.

Progress to-date:

Thanks for following along

Looking great Dan. And just FYI a certain person we know has a killer print file for an ore shoot gate.

Wow the bin is looking great and the laser scored lines work well. It sure beats using individual planks of wood and it is easier than running the piece of ply through a table saw to score it 1/2" at a time.