Large Scale Central

WSRR 2023 Mik Challenge School House

I’ve met her. Craig did good. Very nice, takes good care of Craig and his boys, and she is pretty also.

But no worries I think I know Craig well enough to know that he is smart enough to know he has a keeper

1 Like

Well, at least you finally admitted it :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, Devon. I couldn’t help myself :grin:

And Pete is on his own. If he messes it up its on him. I have even tried to be a good wingman and mailed his wife dinner to help him.

Have I ever denied it??

We loved the dinner you mailed us , the candle stick is somewhere in the house( not sure because she is moving EVERYTHING around since we got new flooring). But she is kind of bossy sometimes but rewards good behavior. I definitely have a keeper also

1 Like

Weekend progress: Finished up the decking for the first floor and got the framing started for the second floor. You can see the outer beams of the second floor in the photos below. This will give you some idea of the how the structure will sit on the decking and its relative size. The photo is taken from the rear of the school.

Just for a little different perspective

Remember the truss jigs I posted the other day?

Here they are in use as planned.

Got all the truss lumber milled, just a matter of putting them together now. All brick piers are printed and about half the foundation walls are done. Here is a completed one.

And one on the printer now.

Also started cutting/splitting cedar shingles for the roof. I got a long way to go to get enough but hey, its a start.

Speaking of splitting shingles, I got to get to work :grin:

1 Like

What stupid idiot learned you on splitting your own shingles?? Speaking of that, when I get back from my date weekend with the wife I might need to split a few…hundred myself

Yeah and I owe you one for that lesson. Cedar shingles are a double edged sword for me. I love the look of them and plan to use them a lot, but they are a PIA to split, not hard, just time consuming.

A few hundred … how about 10,000 :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :grimacing:

2 Likes

The bricks look great. I agree, a split shingle roof looks awesome but splitting and installing them is a real pain.

You have a ton of trusses to build. How many jigs did you print?

And a lot of general roof framing to boot :sob:

One for each truss design, so 3 total. I’ve been getting 3 trusses per day during the week and 4 on the weekend for each jig. All the full trusses are done, just working on the clipped trusses and they’ll be done in the next day or so.

1 Like

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I’ve been busy trying to get all the bits and pieces cut, glued, printed, etc. Made a lot of progress but its hard to see at this point. I’ve got about 7 trusses left to build with 2 in the jigs now.

All the lumber for flooring, wall framing, and roof framing has been milled. Here is just what I’ve brought in from the shop so far. There is at least twice what you see here left to bring in when needed.

All the sintra walls have been cut along with cutouts for the windows and doors.

I’ve started framing and puting walls together so we are finally going vertical :smiley: :rofl: :joy:

All the windows and doors have been printed.

The roof for the bell tower has been printed

And in between doing all this, I have been splitting shingles :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

You can see my trusty splitting tool in the container, here is a closer look.

I also got a new toy since the last update.

Cordless pin nailer. I have a neumatic one I’ve used for years but it has started leaking air profusely and I can’t find a repair kit so I decided to get a new one. So far I really like it. Much quiter than running an air compressor in the house, even the tiny (1 gallon), quite one I have still makes too much noise late at night when Mama is trying to sleep. Mama’s happy so, well, you know the rest :grin:

I hope to get the basic structure put together this week and start on the roof this weekend. If I can get that done, I just might at least get the building built and a roof on it before the deadline, MAYBE :worried: :cold_sweat:

1 Like

I need to get back to splitting some more shingles myself. Looking good Dan

Always fun to see your stick build work!! I really need to get some Sintra, next year I hope to have a sheet from someone , and I can move up a level in my construction. Of course I will have tons of questions!

Thanks, guys. Pete, I enjoy stick building models but I get lazy sometimes and let the printer do most of the work. I have made a concerted effort this year to only use the printer for details, windows and doors, the roof of the bell tower and the bell itself (Thanks again, Devon :wink:) and I have really had fun (Rule #1). And get yourself some sintra. Its a great product and is easy to work with. I get mine here:

Sintra Board

Look at what you get before you freak out over the price. May be cheaper places out west, but here in the south SYP is king and everything else is priced accordingly :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Try a major plastics distributor that sells to sign makers. My supplier lists it for 125 a sheet (4X8) of 6mm. Laird plastics.

I’m lucky my local Lowes carries the PVC board but I get sheet styrene from Sibe-R Plastic Supply. Best prices I’ve found. They also carry Sintra SIBE-R PLASTIC SUPPLY WHITE FOAM PVC SINTRA

They do have great prices on sintra, Dan. I’ll have to use them next time I order. Thanks for the link.

How cool would this look with a bell??? I AM WAITING

It’s coming. I’m working on the bell tower tonight.

1 Like