Large Scale Central

WSRR 2023 Mik Challenge School House

Quick update:

Next time I lose my mind and decide to build something this big in a 30 day time window, please, somebody, just shoot me (not literally, please) :smiley:

I finally have all the wall panels built and at least tacked together, some not permanently, yet. Building this in a modular fashion (to help reduce time, I thought, more on that later) has turned out to be a struggle. Primarily because I am in a hurry and not planning each wall out as I should. I didn’t model each wall panel in CAD like I normally do and I have made several mistakes that have cost me a lot of time. Now, that’s all on me.

Anyway, here is the progress as of a few minutes ago. None of the walls are attached to their respective floor at this point because I am still deciding how to be able get back to the inside, Not for detailing, but I might want to add some lighting in the future.

Back to work :grimacing:

3 Likes

Well for all the setbacks it’s looking good! I’m sure you will have plenty of time to make it purdy

Gorgeous work Dan. Woodwork, jigs, trusses, overall design, all amazing.

1 Like

Thank Pete & Cliff. I’ve got a lot of little misalignments to cleanup but I’ll worry about that once I get the roof on.

All walls have been attached to their respective floor. Now on to finalixing the bell tower and getting it attached and then to the roof.

beautiful. Love the floor.

Roof trusses are going up, yay :grin:

And i finally figured out a way to attache the roof to the second floor and the second floor to the first and still allow myself the ability to get back to the inside if I so choose. Well, I din’t actually figure it out, I stole the idea, sort of, from Bob (BD). He used magnets to attach the roof on hs beautiful bunkhouse. So, using that little nugget, I attached steel shim stock to the underside of the ledger boards on the second floor and the roof and magnetic tape on the top plate of both the first and second floors. Works well. Now, it wouldn’t meet any type of strong wind loading but for my purposes it will work.

No way will I get even close to finish. Current goal is simply to get it dried in. I still have a lot of little nagging issues to fix before I can start any siding. Again, I’ll keep plugging along and get as much done as possible. Not going to rush it at this point. Would rather take my time and end up with a nice building.

Thanks for following along.

2 Likes

Dan,
Great build, I really admire your attention to details that will probably never be seen in the final product, IE, the trusses.

As for not finishing by the deadline, well I think that is kind of secondary to the whole concept of the Challenge, having fun and sharing.

Maybe we need a second 30 day window for us DNF’s to follow up with our finished builds and show what it would have looked like if we had made the deadline :smiley:

I just love the real roof framing. This model cries out for interior detail and then some through the window photography!

Those trusses are so pretty, I’d almost opt for the model being of a house under construction and leave a bunch visible :grin:

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. Almost seems a shame to hide that floor

Oh sure leave him an easy out for not finishing.

WOW!!!
Dan, you know if you put those trusses on scale 48”centers no one will know, and it will still be strong!.
That said I agree with others maybe 1/2 of the roof can be still under construction or being remodeled. But I am sure you couldn’t leave it that far along and unfinished

What an amazing looking building. It is coming together like the real deal. It is clever to make the roof removable.

Thanks, Rick. The trusses were pretty straight forward to build with the jigs I printed. i still have the porch trusses to add, well, they are not really trusses, but I chose to build them the same way.

I have had a lot of fun with this build even though it has been frustrating at times to the point I’ve started to throw the whole thing out on several occassions. Now the frustrations have been the result of my lack of attention, partly due to the overwhelming size to be built in 30 days and partly due to other life events going on during the last few weeks. Regardless, I am obeying rule #1

Thanks, Jon. I’m not sure I am up to the task for interior detailing, but I have left that option open by allowing myself the ability to remove the roof and the second floor. I have thought about trying out your technique of putting photos in the windows to simulate the interior, but that is for another day.

Thanks, Devon. You will still be able to see the floor through the windows and on the porch.

Thanks, Pete. You know, it crossed my mine to only put in a few trusses since they would be covered up, but I just couldn’t skimp on this build. ALthough the trusses will not be visible upon first glance of the model, one will still be able to see them by simply removing the roof and looking underneath.

Thanks, Todd. The next structure I build like this will be built just like the real deal. I think it would be quicker and have less alignment issues by building it just like you would build a 1:1 house. Maybe not studs on 16" centers but build stud walls and erect them one at a time.

Glad you approve, I think I’ll take you, Jon and Pete up on that idea … hmmmmmmm…

I"M DONE :crazy_face: