Large Scale Central

WSRR 2023 Mik Challenge School House

Well Dan G already informed me they were FDM. Now as for the print failure in resin. I had an issue with my doors “falling off” the supports. I don’t know what the proper answer tot he problem is but what I did to “fix” it is to manually add more supports and then also to re position them at different angles. Solved my problem.

I always add many more supports than are probably needed. I think the issue is the orientation I chose. The software wanted to orient it with the bricks facing the supports. I decided I knew better and oriented it with the flat side facing the supports and, well, it failed. I’ll reprint one tommorow night (dinner with the family to celebrate Dad’s birthday tonight so no modeling time) and let the software determine the oreintation. I’ll let you know how that turns out.

After taking a break last night to celebrate my Dad’s birthday, I had planned to get all the decking for the first floor down tonight … but our 11 month old yellow lab had other plans. He has a bad case of separation anxiety and we had to leave him in the house this morning for a couple hours and he decided to use my bundles of milled lumber as a chew toy. He chewed up about half the decking and a few of the floor joists :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage:

I got what was left put together and I’ll re-cut the remainder tomorrow.

Its hard to see because its clear, but that is a 24" ruler leaned up against the square there in the middle. I’ve got the floor sitting temporarily on a few of the brick columns just to get a feel of how they’re going to look.

Here is the test piece I made for last year’s station build to give you some idea of what the finished brick will/may look like.

I’ll have all the brick columns printed here in a couple hours and then I’ll start on the foundation walls after I print the two truss jigs I posted earlier. I need to get those printed so I can work on building the trusses while the brick walls are printing. Tomorrow, I hope to get the first and second floor decking complete and get all the truss lumber milled. At some point I need to start cutting/chopping cedar shingles for the roof.

Glad I have a 3 day weekend this week.

2 Likes

Going to have to get him/her a companion, maybe a chocolate lab time! LOL!!!

So you are saying your dog ate your homework?

1 Like

Pete, he has a 12 year old german wirehair pointer and 4 cats for companions. Hopefully he’ll grow out of it, otherwise, he will become a yard dog :grin: But don’t tell mama I said that :wink:

That about sums it up, Jim :slightly_smiling_face:

Coming out nice dan.

Sounds like FDM printing for brick walls seems is a good solution instead of Rick’s method of embossing them. I’m going to continue to ignore the issue of brick for a while still. Maybe magically my huge brick building will appear one day.

It certainly works, Craig. It is a lot less time for me, but it takes a lot of printer time. For instance, the 16 brick piers took over 32 hours of print time. The foundation walls will be about the same. Now, if I could just let it print 24/7 without my supervision, it would be great. But in reality, I only get about 4-6 hours of print time a day during the week and maybe 12 or so on the weekends. I could probably design the brick panels more efficiently or maybe design them to attach to another substrate thereby reducing the thickness of the panels and save a great deal of time and filament. But currently, they are designed to be self supporting.

Overall, I do like the end result with the printed brick. The FDM process even leaves a rough surface that gives the look of used, uncleaned brick which is what I am looking for.

Sounds like a practical solution. So now how do I convince the CFO that a FDM printer is need on top of the resin printer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::roll_eyes:

With only 1 brick building planned, I can suffer through the embossing of PVC.

You didn’t hear this from me :wink:, but you really need both. They are complementary to each other. Resin is great for the detail parts, FDM is better for the larger items. But you already know this so logic may not work. It may take you coking dinner and cleaning the kitchen :grin: :upside_down_face:

I’ve got my wife on the hunt for a steal of a CNC knife machine (silhouette or cricut).

I told her about a resin printer and it took her about 2 years to find one for me. One day she said, hey here’s $200 cash go meet this person for a resin 3d printer.

Huh? She found someone locally getting rid of one and had done all the research on pricing etc.

So I dropped the hint the other day so we’ll see how long it takes. :wink:

Sounds like you have a wonderful wife, better take good care of her :smiley:

She’s a keeper for sure.

My wife”ANOTHER MACHINE for your trains??? OMG don’t you have enough???
Then about a month or 2 ( depending on price of said machine, well maybe we can get one for your birthday/Father’s Day or next x number of Christmases! Gotta love them as they try to keep budgets in place , but also love to see us a happy kid with a new toy!

My wife: “You bought what? What the @#$&*$%#&$#@ do you need that for??”

Yeah heard that a few times, like when I announced the I bought a new $40k trailer without consulting her while she was on vacation. That was an interesting day! Since then I’m allowed to buy about $100 without consulting her.

Craig,

I second Dan. You NEED both. Resin is unparalleled for fine detail. But ots fragile. FSM with materials like ABS are great fro strength. Not to mention that a machine for large parts is way cheaper in FDM than rwsin. I most likely will be buying an FDM printer very shortly so I can make the main structures of rail cars.

See you guys are all doing it wrong. Take a second job and devote most of the income to taking the wife on a weekend trip or making her a 5 course gourmet meal. Then when the new printer shows up she can’t say much. There is a method to my insanity