Large Scale Central

Would the Bachmann 2-6-0 (not the one with the balloon stack thing, the other one) look appropriate in a 1:29 scale railroad set around 1900?

I’m working on modeling a railroad set somewhere in New Jersey taking inspiration from things like Paterson and various smaller standard-gauge railroads of the late 19th/early 20th century. I don’t want it to be a narrow gauge railroad.

While the 2-6-0 is of a narrow gauge prototype do you think the model fits into the scale and time period im going for?

Edit: Here’s the image of it next to a 1/29 carriage; the engine was boxed earlier, my apologies.

The Bachmann 2-6-0 is a 1:20.3 scale narrow gauge model. The era would be correct but not the scale or gauge. I believe the Piko 2-6-0 is closer to 1:29 and better representation of a standard gauge loco.

I agree with Max, the Bachmann 2-6-0 is a large engine and putting it with 1/29 scale stuff it is going to look way out of proportion. I myself model in LGB scale 1:22.5 and even for me the Bachmann engine would be on the large size and I would not consider using it on my layout. Most people that would run outdoor layouts do mix their stuff and for them it’s just part of the fun of running trains, but myself being a model first and a train runner second, I tend to stay within the scale I’m modeling.

1 Like

As stated I guess it depends on how “Scale” specific you want to get. If you plan on running Aristo Craft (rubber rule)1/29th then I think you can get away with it scale wise. Also remember that USA trains American Series rolling stock is 1/24th I believe so even closer to scale. Now if you are planning on pulling USA Trains Heavyweights with the Bachmann loco then I would say scale wise you will be off a good bit.
Just my thoughts.

This is a Bachmann loco with some modified Aristo Heavyweights.

1 Like

Which 2 - 6 -0? The Annie is too big for 1:29 (In my opinion). She does well with 1:20.3 rolling stock.
The original “big Hauler” 2 6 0 would look better, but (again, in my opinion) it is not a good runner, and too toy like for me.
I have a friend who runs nothing but the USA steam locos on his 1:29 layout and they look good.
The Aristocrat Pacific also would work.

If we are talking about the Bachmann industrial locomotive 2-6-0 which has a tiny cab that at 1:20.3 is like 5 feet tall, then running it on 1:29 may work. I would insert some 1:29 figures and see how they look. I have two, both recabbed using the 1:20.3 Banta Modelworks wooden cab kits which makes them look believable on my 1:22.5 layout. The Piko 2-6-0 is closer to 1:29. Keep in mind, the Bachmann Industrial is a tiny locomotive and can’t pull much maybe 3 cars max. The Piko is much better puller.

1 Like

Max;

The Indy is a smallish locomotive, and probably would work. Mine is a bit fanciful, but the railroad is an imaginary one in Middle Earth. Careful addition of extra weight (fish line sinkers, tire balance weights, or tungsten weights for Pine Cars) can make it a better puller.
BnG31
Other locomotives that may work (providing you can locate one) include:
The LGB Porter
Pauline11
The Bachmann Porter(s)

LGB’s small 2-4-0 and 0-4-0 locomotives

Hartland Locomotive Works steam locomotives

Delton Locomotive Works steamers

Both HLW and DLW are no longer in business, but sometimes their products show up for sale.

Hope this helps, David Meashey

1 Like

I think the little “Columbia” (its original name when it was a 2-4-2) or the “Industrial” (new name now it is a 2-6-0 and claims to be a larger scale,) could be made to work in 1/29th.

Here’s the newer Indy tender [which has axle pickups like the larger Fn3 2-6-0] next to a 1/24th Aristo 2-8-0 tender:

I think a bit of cab lowering with a sharp saw would do the trick. Most loco cab roofs are about at the level of the dome top. Bachmann added a larger cab and called it 1:20.

Here’s a 2-6-0 with a much more proportionate cab.

The 2-4-2 has the usual gear splitting problems. The new Indy 2-6-0 has a much better chassis, and can probably pull a lot more than the original.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

Imo the Piko 2-6-0 has too basic detailing and the fake valve gear kind of bothers me. Main reason I bought this engine was because I saw it in the train store fore only 150$, which I thought was a steal for an engine of its detail

The engine, surprisingly, does not look too large next to the 1:29 scale coach, it actually looks considerably smaller, especially in width. The only explanation I can think of is that in the earlier days, say 1860s idk, engines in general were a bit smaller, and sinceI’m attempting to model a small short line type railroad set around 1900, it might be reasonable o say that one of their engines is an older type and therefore smaller.

Still though, might look wrong nonetheless. What do you think?

For clarification the model I own looks like this. Still, what you said about the cab seems to apply here too; I should be able to shorten it then.

Thanks so much for your input.

Might give you the info you seek.

Starts right out with a pass carr right behind the loco for a vision check.

1 Like

OK…
Now we are getting somewhere! My motto has always been…A picture says 1,000 words!
I think the first problem with your envision is you have an Aristo Sierra car against the Bachmann Industrial loco.

Would your NJ shortline have hauled passengers ?

Can you explain what Paterson is as I’m from PA?

Honestly all in all I personally think scale and gauge matter not as it’s all about “YOUR” vision!
Then there is it’s “Your RR Your Rules” motto so if it’s a freelance RR then anything goes as it’s yours ALL yours…(insert evil laugh here) …ALL YOURS !!

:rooster:

1 Like

As Rooster says, what you have there is an Aristo “Sierra” coach, which is technically a 1/24th model of a short coach from the narrow gauge Sierra Rwy.
Aristo painted them for all sorts of things, including the PRR, pretending it is a std gauge coach.

I really would suggest taking 1/2 out of it so it is the same height as the domes. If you just shorten the window sides it would do the trick.

That 2-6-0 is more like an 1890s - 1910 loco. But yes, they would be smaller. If you saw the Bachmann Spectrum Fn3 2-6-0 next to an Accucraft coach . . . hang on, I got a pic somewhere.

1 Like

Oh… so short coaches really don’t exist on standard gauge railroads then… I knew the aristo coaches were based on sierra coaches but this whole time I thought those 2 were standard gauge, just made short for some niche reason.

Since I thought there was at least one example of short standard gauge coaches in America, I concluded that it would be believable for a small suburban passenger service type thing or small localized railroad to have short coaches, if a bit odd. But now I see I was wrong :pensive:

So now I really do have cut 2 coaches and combine them into 1 big coach to be prototypical. I only have 3 small coaches… I’m going to be so broke

(Also thanks for your answer)

it’s not exactly going to be based on Paterson as it was a bigger industrial city housing the Rogers Locomotive Works and silk industries etc., but I will be making some sort of main street thing or market or something in my railroad taking inspiration from it (Also the Rogers 2-4-2T has got to be one of my favorite passenger engines)

It will more so take inspiration from various small railroads in New Jersey and also inspiration from things like the Strasburg Railroad. I read about one failed railroad which carried peaches and also passengers in New Jersey, also maybe stuff like the Lehigh Valley railroad.

All in all the plan is to have a railroad resembling a small standard gauge railroad mostly serving the locals. It would have local passenger service, as well as some freight and (since I have a pond) an ice house with refrigerator cars. Perhaps I can eventually make some junction area connecting to a non-existent “main line.”

Oops. Apparently I was wrong - Sierra Rwy was std gauge according to various sources. They sure look good in this pic.

1 Like

Oh thank god. Yea I saw those pics too and I was sure it was standard gauge. We just got a little confused haha. Thanks.

Edit: from what I read before, they were made short to handle the tight switchbacks iirc.

Perfect!
Now we go from a Bachmann Industrial 2-6-0 to possibly a Shay pulling Sierra cars?

It too bad this large scale has so many different scales within the words large scale. I used to call LGB scale 1:22.5 G scale, but I was soon corrected on this form that I was miss calling it and I now just say LGB scale. I’m pretty much stuck within my LGB scale to what I buy, but I have found that’s ok as I really don’t need any more trains, thank goodness.

See that’s the thing I think is great and I can personally attest that many of those scales can be made to work together. However as I have stated before I model by eye and not to scale.