Large Scale Central

Would the Bachmann 2-6-0 (not the one with the balloon stack thing, the other one) look appropriate in a 1:29 scale railroad set around 1900?

Max, fwiw, Banta Modelworks offers a laser-cut cab kit for this mogul (which they call the “Mongrel” for some reason). It attempts to convert the “industrial” mogul to 1:20.3.

I have two with these Banta kits and they make a huge difference. The locomotive that looks like it should be hauling kids are a zoo suddenly becomes a real player, granted its still weak as hell and can only drag 3 cars around but it’s certainly improved their looks.

Have you got photos, Vic?

I’ll try to take some this weekend

So, if I modeled in ON30 am I modeling in Large Scale HO, same track size, is this not what is going on with Large Scale track in general. I should get some real interesting answers here and yes, I do set at home and just think this stuff up.

I thought that’s what Bachmann did with this latest iteration, which has a tall cab?

And I think our poster is trying to get to 1/29th. . .

Hence the “fwiw.” :innocent:

Honestly John,
As I have said before many times I “personally” model by “eye” and not to “scale”. I’m no icon in this hobby, I don’t write articles and I don’t really contribute to the hobby other than give smart ass answers.

SO , I will give you only ONE answer to your question.
YOU ARE STILL STUCK ON THE GAUGE FACTOR and do not model by eye like I do.

However if you asked me Rooster : How would you incorporate ON30 into the large scale scheme that would be a another question.

Hope that makes sense?

:rooster:

I ain’t seeing it that way guys. I see it as he is asking questions with an envision and this is where pictures really help us on his end. We just need to try and stay focused on HIS envision.

if you say so.
does this pic help? (it’s one of Chris Walas’ creations)

chris8

sorry, that was the wrong pic.
i meant this one, new Amtrack (south-eastern division)
(as well by Walas)

chris7

Absolutely Korm,
What is YOUR vision !

my vision for his question?

take off the upper part of his loco, throw that away.
use the chassis.
buy a cheap bump and run loco, and cut it up, untill it fits upon the chassis.

lok05-86

or

yellow1

Ahh the Crimson Herring, one of Chris’ best creations. He’s still active on Facebook, you should see his house for Halloween, Twilight Zone vs Outer Limits this years theme. :grinning:

PS I still owe pics of the Banta Works models, getting too it, had to spend the entire weekend sorting through all the stuff brought home after my mom passed including a brand new refrigerator. At lease that is done done. Back to trains for a while.

I just started modeling On3 and purchased my first loco for the job. It is a Bachmann 28t Climax On30. I am going to change it over to On3 just as soon as I finish the Engine House I am modeling.
Rightly so, there will not be any roosters, chickens or houses of ill fame on it as posted by notable gentlemen on the site. I like the On30 gauge, but being a purist of sorts, I don’t like the track size too much. Use it and enjoy! I am just old and set in my ways.

-Deneh

Well that sounds good to me !