Large Scale Central

Wood Working-Back in the shop

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Linum usitatissimum

Linseed oil, also known as flaxseed oil or flax oil, is a colourless to yellowish oil obtained from the dried, ripened seeds of the flax plant (Linum usitatissimum). The oil is obtained by pressing, sometimes followed by solvent extraction.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Well, I don’t have no flax neither…

Cliff Jennings said:

Gorgeous hammer, Dev. Need to post a pic of something that received its attention! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Really cool how you’re lining up the tables and fences for saw and router.

Cliff,

its not my hammer to whack stuff with. It will remain a virgin until the recipient whacks something with it.

David Maynard said:

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Linum usitatissimum

Linseed oil, also known as flaxseed oil or flax oil, is a colourless to yellowish oil obtained from the dried, ripened seeds of the flax plant (Linum usitatissimum). The oil is obtained by pressing, sometimes followed by solvent extraction.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Well, I don’t have no flax neither…

Sucks to be you!!!

Well here is the “glamour” shot of the final product. As I have never made anything like this I am pretty pleased with the pair. I think the recipient will get some use out of them. When I receive mine I will show off what I got in return for my effort.

Cool! Kind of looks like Mjolnir’s grandpa.

Maybe grandson.

Fine work, Devon. I like the swapping idea. I’ve participated in a swap on a turning (lathe) forum I belong to. It’s a great way for folks to get to know each other a little better and a lot of fun to boot. Maybe we could come up with something similar here, like maybe a flatcar or some trackside detail. Keep it simple. Just an idea.

It is a fun idea.

As much as I love working with wood, I just like wood for what it is. I am fascinated by wood, with its different grain, color, texture, and yes even defects. One such defect is spalting or blueing. This happens in various ways to various woods when they are dead and dying and are caused by an invasion of fungus. Here in the west, at least, there is a real problem in pines with the Pine Bark Beetle. This beetle lays its eggs in the cambium of a tree, that layer between bark and wood, were it’s larvae eat the cambium layer killing the tree. Most people don’t realize that the vital part of a tree, its circulatory system if you will, is only a few mm thick. its what transports nutrients up and down the tree. The bark is like skin and protects the tree, the hardwood inside is like bone giving it a skeleton. But the life of a tree is dependent on the cambium for survival. So these little assholes bore in, lay their eggs, their larvae hatch then eat the tree to death. It is a plague that is killing the pine forests of the west (at least, don’t know if the east has this problem). As the tree dies a fungus invades the pine and grows in the wood. This fungus stains the wood grey. We call the end product, “blued pine”. It makes the wood useless as a building product as it weakens the wood fibers. However, it mkaes for some beautiful decorative lumber for ornate and rustic projects alike. As I said I have an affinity for defects in wood. I love blued pine.

So when my brother-in-law called me and said do you have any use for some blued Ponderosa Pine logs, I jumped. He has several beetle infested trees and this one was all but dead and standing feet from his house. It needed to come down. I picked up four logs, three about 6 feet long and one about 10 feet long on Saturday. One of the board members at my work has Woddmiser saw mill and said he would cut it for me. Yesterday we spent about two hours slabbing it up. I cut a few 1" thick pieces, most is 2" that I can resaw later or use as is, and a few pieces I left 4"-5" thick for benches, mantels or whatever. This is some of the best bluing I have seen. Almost more staining than regular colored wood. Its gonna be hard to wait the few months its gonna take for this stuff to dry. Since its mostly dead its already pretty dry but it will take a few months before it is ready to work.

For their loss, my brother-in-law and sister will be getting a couple of benches made from the pieces that are still round on one side from the opening cuts that you see on the top of the stack. I will use rounds that he still has at his place for the bases. The cost of getting it milled was three slabs. Not to shabby. It will be a lot of fun to create with this stuff.

That’s some fine looking timber, Devon. Glad it did not go to waste. And yes, we have the pine beetle here in the south. I’ve seen them destroy hundreds of acres of pine. What a waste!

Nice figure in that Blue Stain Pine, great salvage, those slabs will make beautiful Mantel timbers.

When we built our house on the ranch back in 1976 we used V rustic blue stain Pine for Wains coating

in all the rooms up about 3 feet to a chair rail, looked fantastic.

That’s some great looking wood!

Here is my first project with some of that “blued” pine. Its a tote for my sisters horse grooming tools. Its her Christmas present. After a single coat of linseed oil it really popped. once a few more coats of oil are put on I will wax and buff it. But man the colors are pretty.

I also made her a hoof pick as part of her present. It still needs to be sharpened, But it is stainless steel with a Douglas fir burl and black walnut handle.

Well done, Devon.

My lesson for today, I had never heard of blued pine. Sure is purty.

That’s a fine looking tote and hoof pick, Devon. Your sister will be proud. I really like the use of the light colored pine and dark walnut on the pick. The walnut makes the blue pine pop. Nice turning, too.

Nice job !! best looking wood I have seen that had pine bark beetle on it!

Pete Lassen said:

With all the variation in different colors you would think I had stained it to produce those effects. Its not just the regular cream of the pine and the “blue” of the fungus but there are oranges and even a slight bit of green in there. The color is just amazing and that picture really doesn’t do it justice. I need to take some better ones of it.

Very nice ! That would make any farrier proud to display !

Rooster ’ said:

Very nice ! That would make any farrier proud to display !

Who do you think you are, calling this man’s sister a farrier ?

Devon Sinsley said:

Pete Lassen said:

Its not just the regular cream of the pine and the “blue” of the fungus but there are oranges and even a slight bit of green in there.

I’m a sucker for the orange hues with pine!