Large Scale Central

Wood Working-Back in the shop

Ready for finising

I found out that the guys include something extra in the box. So I made a matching awl to go with it.

I used a shell casing for the ferule for the awl. Kinda a unique idea that isn’t mine.

Very cool!

Job well done, Devon. That will be a nice addition to the shop for some lucky bloke. What are you going to use for the finish? Love the awl. Nice lathe work.

sand down to 500 grit and them coat after coat after coat of boiled linseed oil.

Are you sure this isn’t some new guy initiation process? Are you going to be really dissapointed when you get a rock tied to a tree branch and a flint knife in return for all that hard work?

Dang looks like Thor’s hammering wood !

Devon Sinsley said:

sand down to 500 grit and them coat after coat after coat of boiled linseed oil.

If only I had a lin to get seeds from…

I can’t think of it right know but I do know what plant linseed oil comes from.

So here is the finished awl. It stopped taking oil after four coats which as pretty fast. So I was able to wax it. I really love the look of hand rubbed oil finishes. And as a tool that will be used its a more durable finish than polyurethane and quite honestly shiny tools don’t look right. Even my screw drivers which were semi gloss poly are to shiny. The oil and wax just has a rich “use me” look. I also was going to stick a cork on the end of it for shipping but got the idea to turn a little finial that the recipient can use on a project. I left it un finished so that they can finish it to their desire.

The hammer has been oiled and waxed as well. Now the leather pads are being glued on the ends. This picture is just the first coat of oil and no wax. Sure pretty, I like the cherry and walnut. Very pleased with that bing cherry.

And Pete,

Just like on here the blokes on that forum are some talented craftsman. I have seen their work from prior swaps and I am just hoping to hold my own with them and make something they will be pleased to own. And I do think I did that. They ain’t to shabby for tools.

Beautiful! I too love the oiled and waxed look.

I’m surprised though, that the pads are being glued on after the oil/wax treatment. I would have thought it wouldn’t stick.

Ray,

I wondered about how to do this, the order. I didnt want to oil the pads. So I opted to wait. I was careful to try and not oil the ends. Definitely avoided wax. Right before glueing them on I sanded the ends again. I have since removed the clamps and trimmed the leather. They seem completely adhered

Damn phones

Sure, now it’s a hammer. At first it was a mallet! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Lol Joe. It is actually a hammer. To be exact it’s a dead blow hammer. There is 5 or 6 oz of loose shot inside. So its coremrect name is a dead blow HAMMER.

It’s Hammer time!

Hammer time!

I like the finial protector for the awl, nice touch.

Linum usitatissimum

Linseed oil, also known as flaxseed oil or flax oil, is a colourless to yellowish oil obtained from the dried, ripened seeds of the flax plant (Linum usitatissimum). The oil is obtained by pressing, sometimes followed by solvent extraction.

Thats it flax. Thank you sir.

So with the hammer project done way early, I turned my attention to a few other things. One of which was to revamp my router table. I made this router table out of my old table saw stand when I scrapped it. I had a drop in router. Not something I ever really liked but its what I had. This summer I picked up an old craftsman router/shaper for a song. Paid $25 bucks for it. Takes 1/4" shank router bits and 1/2" and 3/4" shaper cutters. I finally got around to mounting it in the router table. I still need to make a plate to fit the hole in the top. But this will make my router table into a much more versatile machine. I leveled it out to the same height as my table saw and it also doubles as an outfeed table for the saw.

I also fixed my dads band saw and got it back up and running. all in all a very productive weekend.

Heck, Devon, after all that work, I’m tired (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)The router table looks good. How do you change the height of the bit?

Dan Hilyer said:

Heck, Devon, after all that work, I’m tired (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)The router table looks good. How do you change the height of the bit?

The shaper has a knob on the back of it that you loosen and then it rotates the whole motor assembly to raise and lower it. I have an access door in the back of the table where the old motor and bet went through on the table saw. This allows me access to that knob to raise and lower it and also to aid in changing the bit and to change between router and shaper. The “plate” will be removable also to allow access from the top.

Gorgeous hammer, Dev. Need to post a pic of something that received its attention! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Really cool how you’re lining up the tables and fences for saw and router.