Large Scale Central

Wood sheathed steel framed boxcar

At the ECLSTS, Jean and I went over to Strasburg where we saw some interesting boxcars. Steel underframe and all wood. I decided I had to build one - especially since I wouldn’t have to mess with truss rods! Since then, I’ve also been inspired by one from the EBT. So, I’ve had these Evergreen Styrene sheets for some time and finally got around to starting the project. Now, it turns out I probably should have ordered some correct sizes, but using what I had seems to have worked out well. Note that I’m going for the simplistic effects. That means no underbody detail - though I may relent and put something that looks like a brake cylinder under there. Here’s what I have so far:

Now I just need to fashion the roof walk supports and add the brake wheel and it will be ready for the paint shop. Oh yeah, coupler lift bars…hmm…

Looks good, Bruce. If I ever get my shop back in order, I should be able to get the steel ends for our OTHER project going pretty quick. They’re #1 on the 'to do" list.

Scratch-built a few log cars , a snow plow and a flat car, haven’t attempted a boxcar yet. Not enough patience for it I guess…:wink:

I do admire others handywork though…

Well, Ken, it’s not all that hard. I’m pleased with the way this turned out.

Now that looks good! I like the way those steps on the sides and ends are done…

Thanks! I thought I’d have trouble with the ladders, but it was fairly straight forward. I clamped 4 pieces of styrene together and put them through the drill press. Nice and straight and all the same. Then I made a jig to bend the brass wire so they’d all be the same size. I was all set to build supports for the end of the roofwalks when I noticed that the prototype did not have them. Another step saved!

BTW, the doors don’t work. :wink: I just used a solid piece for the entire side. A bit wasteful, I guess, but much easier. I enjoy working in styrene. Parts dry very quickly.

Good job Bruce! Very nicely done! We have made a scratchbuilder out of you. You ladders and carsides are done in exaclty the same way that I do mine! I go for a nice looking robust operational model…

Neat catch on the non-extended roofwalk… Have to do that myself… very cool

Bruce the car looks great your spaceing looks good in the gr pullout plans they call for spacing to 3/32nd that look about right i builded one in wood I just have to learn how to post pictures. i’m yet to try plastic but now i will great job