Large Scale Central

Winter project

There’s been chatter around here of winter projects. So I thought I would I would share one of my winter projects. The other being some skeleton log cars. (Thanks to a member here who is sending me some plans in 1:20.3) It will be a 5’ radius curved trestle with the option of a short straight section at either end. This trestle will be installed at the lower end of the RR to greatly reduce the amount of fill required. First started milling up 1st growth red cedar, the 12 x 12 posts and sills and the 8 x 18 stringers. Still have to do ties, guard beams, girts and sway braces.

I then made a template out of particle board to build on.

Here you can see the option of straight track at the end.

Hopefully it will be ready to install in the spring. It will be worked on slowly over the winter months as time permits. BTW it will be loosely based on Rio Grande trestle work.

That’ll look nice with the new rock work.

Looks like a good start Randy

That’s a pretty nice wood shop you have there :smiley:

What do you mean you hope its done by spring. You have a good 6 months to get it done. No excuse Randy. :slight_smile:

The package came in the mail today. Thanks again I owe you.

Shawn said:
The package came in the mail today. Thanks again I owe you.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/rooster.jpg)

SHUD UP ROOSTER! :wink:

No problem Shawn…let’s just see another build using some of the package contents.

Had some free time this afternoon so I drew up the full size drawings for the tallest bents of this trestle. It will be 3 storyies high, First @ 11’ and next 2 @ 18’. Probably need about 6 or 7 of these. The drawings will get glued to a piece of plywood or similar material to make a jig.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/IMG_0558.JPG)

Shawn and Ric already have the drawings! You didn’t ask for them Randy
:wink:

Great start there Randy to your project, look forward to seeing it progress.

Chuck

Looks great ! You are inspiring me,… :slight_smile: I hope to get started on REALLY BUILDING SOME STUFF . . . this winter :slight_smile:

Yesterday I had to cut up and throw away a 2.5 inch thick 12 foot long by three foot high redwood sign that could have probably yielded many hundreds of trestle bents. If the pieces hadn’t been so big and heavy I would have put one in my car. Before I had a chance to change my mind the garbage truck arrived and emptied the dumpster :frowning:

Bummer Jon! Not many chances like that!!

AIEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Holy Redwood users, Batman!!!

JON!!! BAD BAD BAD! Throwing Redwood in the Dumster? You could rented a truck to haul it home. :slight_smile:
Your punishment is I am sending Rooster to your place to live with you for the next 2 weeks. :smiley:

No kidding. I probably would have driven down there with my truck last night to grab it!

Cool… I’m going to Jon’s !!!
I will make him drive me from landfill too landfill until we recover that redwood!

Good! Pack your bags. That will teach him to throw perfectly good wood in the dumster. :wink:
P.S. I’m a woodworker and I never throw good wood out. You should see my ‘stash’. But not any Redwood though.

Honestly, I had second thoughts not 3 minutes after throwing the last piece in. Before I could act the garbage truck had it’s hooks on it.