Large Scale Central

Wet decals

I’m tired of searching on this sight and the WWW.
Who designs and sells custom water slide decals now to follow in the
late and great Stan Cederleaf.

Here is a topic that has pointers:

1 Like

Thank you, Jim!
I’ll save this thread for future use. I couldn’t find it with a search.

As decals become hard and hard to find in what RR, or company you might want, I have been doing my own decals on the printer. This does require you find what you want and resize the printed material to what will fit on where you want to put it on your models. All being said this does require some work and knowledge of the computer, but even for this old guy you can get it to work with practice. I have found this to be just another part of the hobby and I enjoy it. Some of my decals made on the printer.

1 Like

Very nice. How did you do the white, and what type of printer are you using.

What are the advantages to wet decals and dry decals?

Melting into the model come to mind

Dry decals have two problems, one you can not move the decals around, ie. once stuck that’s about it and two they leave an edge that is hard to blend into the paint so they don’t show.

Here is one way to do it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asFmiqiu9nA I’m using the Epson Ecotank ET-3850. I’m very pleased with this printer, it is not a Lazer printer, but the print quality is very high. I print the print on decal paper, (Photo Mode) then spray a coat of clear on the decal sheet to protect the ink on the paper, (I used Rustoleum Clear) if you don’t do this the ink will run when you put the decal in water to install it. Several videos on YouTube on how to do this. I do test print my print on regular paper before I use the decal paper so I don’t waste it. It’s one of those processes that sometimes you have to think in reverse.

Never mind - I hadn’t clicked on the link before commenting. Which method did you use?

Circus City Decals is one name I have heard and people have made favorable comments about

I recommend CMR Products. They have provided me with excellent decals for a great price. Super easy to work with and the film disappears nicely.