Large Scale Central

Wayne's Mik 2024 Oil Derrick

An oil well on the Will Lallathan farm on Alum Run in Lee Township, Monroe County, in 1906

“Along with the necessary oil well supplies came a great deal of alcohol. The oil well workers were prodigious drinkers and the demand for beer and whisky skyrocketed. The B Z & C* hauled 330 tons of liquor, wine and beer in 1885, 600 tons in 1900 and more than 1200 tons in 1901. In 1899 Woodsfield was consuming two car loads of beer a week. There were 15 saloon at Jackson Ridge and 14 in Woodsfield. On Saturday night the streets of Woodsfield were littered with drunken men. The quiet country village had turned into a roaring boom town.” 1

1 ( Hidden Treasures The story of the Ohio River & Western Railway pg. 73, Copyright 1997, by Edward H. Cass)

• Bellaire, Zanesville & Cincinnati Railroad became the Ohio River & Western Railway in 1902.

So in 1906 my O R & W R will be delivering lots of beer, whiskey and supplies to this new constructed Oil Derrick as depicted in this napkin…

1 Like

I wasn’t sure where you were going with this. I thought maybe your derrick was for drilling for bourbon.

If that would work, I bet almost everyone would be building at least one… :smiley:

That will be a neat build to see take shape.

Wayne… Could I ask a favor …PLEASE>>!!!

Could you move this thread over to the Build Challenge section… Up until now I have missed that your ready to go…

That way everyone can follow along with the build, and see what you’r up to…

Thanks
Dave T.

I think Bob can move it if asked nicely :smiley:

EDIT - wait - looks like he already did.

As the band Heart once exclaimed “He’s a magic man”.

That’s a good thing. When I first read @Dave_Taylor post I was confused. Now, it’s not uncommon for me to be confused, but the post was in the correct place as I read Dave’s reply.

Thanks Bob for moving the post. Thanks Jon for restoring my sanity.

So a late start today. Here is the building material choice for the derrick. Galvanneal sheet metal was available and the pieces are now 3.5’ long. My calculations indicate the 1:1 derrick was over 80 feet tall. Using the 1:22.5 scale the model should be about 3.5 feet tall.

Going to try a new glue for me, J-B SuperWeld, light cure formula. I will see and report how well this works.

Calling dibs on the bag of Tostitos before someone else does!

Rooster, lets get together… I just picked up a tub of New Mexico Green Chili Salsa…

You grab the chips, I’ll bring the Salsa…

Yes Bourbon it is !!

1 Like

Yes, I have Bourbon and you know I have the Tostitos. @Rooster is close here in PA, where are you Travis? Will @Dave_Taylor really be coming from New Mexico? Maybe I should get a second bottle of Bourbon.

1 Like

All Hell… I got more snow overnight… I ain’t going anywhere this morning…Damm White Stuff…

1 Like

If you haven’t tried an Old Fashion made with Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey, you need to. It was a life changer :grin:

1 Like

Got a chance to look through the scrap metal. Found some pipe for the boiler and bent a piece of sheet steel for the fire box.

This picture of a 1900’s derrick in PA has a better picture of the boiler there:

Learning more about these early oil derricks, they did’t drill holes for oil. They hauled up a heavy weight with the winch or snatch block and dropped it into the ground. They pounded a hole.

Wayne i have been waiting patiently for an update. Looking great. Still can’t wait to see what you do for the super structure. I am thinking I might need an oil rig. Its not anything we have in my neck of the woods but neither is an iron furnace. So my railroad my rules and your build gives me inspiration

Wayne, are you building a live steam engine? Love the use of steel pipe. Excited to see how you construct the oil derrick.

No. The boiler is just part of the oil well accessories. The though did cross my mind to buy one of these to run next to the well…

live steam

I didn’t know that is how it was done. I wonder how deep they could go with that technique?