Large Scale Central

Washington Fire Co. No.1

So here I am modeling another structure in town that brings back childhood memories. In one instance I remember jumping out of the bathtub and running down the hallway soaking wet to witness the fire trucks scream by my house responding to a call. Never did see them that day, as I went around the corner I slid and crashed. In turn breaking my foot!

I started with the door. I originally modeled this a 14’ in height thinking that’s what is should be…stupid me went down the street and measured it only to find out it was a 12’ door…should have checked first.

I’m going to make the main structure out of some scrap 1/4" styrene scrap from my buddy at the graphics shop reinforced with a redwood frame. This will be covered with PP brick , acrylic windows and make as you go trim from MORE scrap styrene.

Windows cut out

Brownstone cut from scrap strips and soon too take shape. Acrylic windows are to the right

I made it this far but realizing the prototype is larger than it looks from the street!!!

I’m gonna have to make some changes as there are way too many windows and this structure has gone through many changes itself since it’s 1857 build date. With a major revamp in 1907.

Down the side wall and omiting some windows as they will not be seen but keeping enough to make it look correct. This is a very deceiving structure and if I would have analyzed this more before starting I may have decided to build something else! It will stay outside year round and will be able to take a hit from a wild football so details are not going to be as important as my last build.

Will make for a nice addition to your railroad…

Great start. Want to detail your windows and brownstone methods? Oh by the way those are raised letters so no signs.

Thanks for bringing up my pic.

Will this be done by monday night. We’re waiting

Andy Clarke said:
Will make for a nice addition to your railroad....
Please wire money ASAP and stop treating my as your red headed stepchild! :lol:
David Marconi said:
Great start. Want to detail your windows and brownstone methods? Oh by the way those are raised letters so no signs.

Thanks for bringing up my pic.

Will this be done by monday night. We’re waiting

Yes I know the letters are raised and
NEVER MIND

“Red Headed Stepchild”?

David,
This is going to be very nice.
However, you have raised the bar with your house model.
We are waiting for something bigger and better than the house :slight_smile:
Ralph

Ralph Berg said:
David, This is going to be very nice. However, you have raised the bar with your house model. We are waiting for something bigger and better than the house :) Ralph
Never mind, it is bigger :lol: Ralph

Nice prototype, and it looks like you’re off to a good start.

Don’t forget the Dalmatian…:wink:

It was a beautiful September Sunday today! I spent some time with my son and still managed to get a few hours in on my model.

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/The%20Railroad/Scratchbuilding/sept09027.jpg)

The fascia and corbel spacing is gonna make or break this model and I’m still playing around with mock ups and material from the scrap bin.

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/The%20Railroad/Scratchbuilding/sept09029.jpg)

Got the windows and doors cut in and casing trimmed. I did downsize this structure as it would be way to large to make it full scale(depth wise). Like Andy stated he is up to 43 or so changes so this practice must be allowed allowed. It will be large enough to house 2 trucks and the prototype holds three. :wink:

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/The%20Railroad/Scratchbuilding/sept09032.jpg)

The PP brick sheets are not long enough so I had to seam them. I have found that no one sheet is the same no matter how you line them up nor are they square at all??? This seam will be covered with a downspout to draw the eye away and no one will know except you guys :slight_smile:

And are you going to put the lights inbetween the corbels and make this your first light up build.
I’d help Andy, but I’m trying to hide some of my own.

Looking great :slight_smile:

Dave,
Thank you for your L.L. insight on firehouses especially the “hose tower” since this is sorta a free lance model based on a prototype anything is possible? “RIGHT” ??
Can someone show me what a hose tower would have looked like on the rear of a city or intercity brick fire house, in say the 60’s/70’s era before they started to become obsolete from the way I understand it?
Ken, Jon , Bruce…Ralph… all come to mind
you guys usually come through on the picture end and this is exactaly why I drink beer!!!
:wink:

Looks great Dave.

I can’t help you on the hose tower. I know what they are, but don’t remember seeing any, nor do I have any pictures. I was a volunteer firefighter in the 70’ and early 80’s. We dried hose on the floor of the fire house. If I remember correctly, hose lengths are 50 foot, so a tower wold need to have about 55 foot of clear space inside to accommodate a hoist system and a length of hose. Wet hose is very heavy, so I doubt they were raised with just a simple pulley. Probably a block-and-tackle arrangement - but this is just a guess.

Who here is or was a city firefighter ???

http://www.pbase.com/strikethebox/image/77799277

hose tower
http://www.pbase.com/strikethebox/firehouses
fire house pics
Hose towers were around 58’ to 60’ inside with a simple single pulley at the top and a ground mount pulley at the bottom.Hose lengths were 50’ and were hung with eared threaded rings on hooks. One man at the top to hang wet hose and drop dry hose( dropped on the rope on the return trip), The rest of the crew hauled the hose up by pulling on the rope. Hose had to be changed for dry after every fire as it was cotton jacketed and would mold in no time when folded or rolled on the wagon.
Prior to radio communications and street boxes, one member did a tower watch for smoke. This practice was 24/7 on a rotating watch.If you look at a hose tower you’ll usually see at least 3 sides with windows and that is where the watch was pulled.This practice was utilized any time our communications system was down up until the early 1980’s in Baltimore City.

Looking real good DavidR… :slight_smile:

5 errors so far… :slight_smile: hehehe

If I had the chance Dave, I’d run into Philly and get some shots of one of the most interesting FireHouses I’ve ever seen. It sits right off I-95 and has some of the most intricate brickwork for the chimneys and walls. It’s down by the waterfront between the Interstate and Delaware Ave. I believe it’s now a nite club of some sort.

David Marconi said:
Cool :D I've got one of those sirens sitting on the pole in my garage. Was salvaged from the VFD I was a member of whenm they went from a distributed siren system to a central horn system.

Dave, tat looks great so far. It will look great on your RR.