Large Scale Central

Visiting Locomotive - Guilford SD45 #681

Like Bruce, I’m 1:20.3, so when I visit a SG operation, my locomotives aren’t right. Inspired by Bruce’s RS3 at the Invasion last year, I decided I needed a visiting locomotive too.

Pan Am Railways (nee Guilford) operates in my neck of the woods, so I’ve been seeing their motive power for years. They have started to repaint their locos in Pan Am blue, but there are still lots of Guilford Gray/Orange locos out there. Guilford also buys up old motive power (They still have GP7s and 9s doing yard duty) and they run SD40-2’s, GP38s, etc. Up until a year or so ago, they still had high-nose SD45’s running. Ugly brutes, but powerful.

I intend on modeling a pair of SD45s. The first one will be ST 681, based on the Aristo SD45 in Guilford colors. They numbered it 681, but there are lots of details that are wrong. This thread will chronicle the changes I’m doing to make it more like the prototype.

First obvious problem was the roof fans. As seen in this photo, there are actually three styles of fans on the roof.

And, of course, the Aristo model has some of the right ones, but in the wrong places. So I moved them around, leaving me with this.

Now, what to do with the other two? Chatting with Rooster, we figured out that the USA trains GP7/9 fans were too small, but the GP9 dynamic brake fan was close enough. And, he had sent me one a couple years ago for another project. Here it is for size comparison. Not bad, but needs a bit of modification, which I will get to soon.

I’ll also have to move the rear radiused grab iron, since the fan will now interfere with it.

I would like to do one also. so keep up with posting your progress.
great start. oh i’m on the west end of B&M in Ma.

Richard

Yeah, diesel!!
Yeah, yeah… yeah…

Now if you could help me figure out how to make all the details for a modern SD70ACe!
Ahhh, I’ll wait for next winter. This thread is inspiring though. Love to see them get extra detailed. I think many manufacturers should do up the pilot area better and make the details stronger to hold up better. I put my brand new dash 9 on the track, backed it up, and snapped off the rear brake hose because the couplers missed. As I lifted it off the track, one of the sunshades and side mirrors snapped off too.
It would be great if someone made sturdy modern details we could add on. I guess our building talents must be used. So thanks for sharing.

Another place that’s a problem is the short nose. The horns are wrong (too big, and wrong type), the grab on the top is in the wrong place, and there is no grab on the engineer’s side. So, off they came

(http://i.imgur.com/kT2wYgml.jpg)

The bell mount is a bit oversize, but Im not sure its worth fixing that.

There’s also a firecracker antenna on the roof of the cab.

Bob it looks like aristo dash 9 horns are right.
richard

Possibly. They look like Nathan M5s, which Ozark sells a set. I havent seen a better resolution picture of the roof to make sure.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=511030

aristo has them in stock 3.50 ea. but one horn is facing the wrong way
richard

They are 5 chime for certain

Looks like the fan types are flat, pan, and flared… The dynamic brake fans look like flared fans to me, but it’s hard to tell from the angle.

Craig

Last nights progress. Batteries, Revo, and charging circuit. Using instructions from the OVGRS site for the GP40, since theyre fairly identical inside.

Running it, though, is a problem. It runs for about 3 or 4 minutes, then stops, with “OvLoad” on the handheld. Bad motors? Bad Revo?

Outside, I filled all the holes where Im moving details on the short nose.

Bob how hot is it getting? Heard they need a extra fan.

Richard

Bob McCown said:
Last nights progress. Batteries, Revo, and charging circuit. Using instructions from the OVGRS site for the GP40, since theyre fairly identical inside. (http://i.imgur.com/ZmR0O4Tl.jpg). It runs for about 3 or 4 minutes, then stops, with “OvLoad” on the handheld. Bad motors? Bad Revo?

I know nothing about what people run for battery operated trains, but I do know a lot about the batteries in your picture. Those are fast discharging batteries, designed for racing R/C cars, wouldn’t you want to use something with a slow discharge rate for increased run time?
Or is this what everyone uses? If so I have a bunch collecting dust in my basement that I may have a new use for!

The batteries work fine for our application. They can be fast discharged in 4 minutes, but also work just fine for running for 3 or 4 hours. I have tons of packs from my RC car days that Ive been going through. When a pack dies, I just recycle it. They dont owe me anything anymore. Some of them are around 20 years old and work fine.

So what is the average run time you get from the setup shown in your picture?
I would like to find a use for all my old batteries, I may have to start looking into this!

The biggest packs I have are 2000mah. Ive had them in my shay, with sound, and get a couple hours runtime at least out of them.

You sure are going to town on this. Nice work.

I had a brand new engine act up before. It actually had to be broken in with a DC power pack and just a few laps of running to losen her up. It turned out to be the sliders giving me grief and they worked free. Is this engine new?? Maybe something with the gear boxes are just tight??

Thats what Im hoping, Joe. Its pretty new, so maybe not reeally broken in yet. Gonna sit it on the bench with a power pack on it for a while.

If nothing else Bob, a powerpack & an ammeter should give you an idea if the problem is the motors or the reciever.

Well crap. I knew I’d have to be mixing the orange for this, because nobody makes it. But several companies offer Guilford Gray. Polyscale, however, is too light:

(http://i.imgur.com/OUhbKQHl.jpg)

Have to mix some black into that, I guess. Grrrr

Bob

True Color makes it TCP-41 Guilford Grey, and TCP-42 Guilford Orange have to look them up

to find a dealer near you http://www.trucolorpaint.com/index.php?p=1_2_Paint-Products Maine Trains 210 Boston Road, Unit 3 Chelmsford, MA 01824 978-250-1442 72+ Colors Stocked

Richard