Large Scale Central

Visiting Locomotive - Guilford SD45 #681

Yep, but TruColor is solvent based, which means I have to spray outside in reasonable temperatures. But I’ll head over to Maine Models tomorrow maybe and see if they have them, and grab some black, reefer orange, and white, to help mix the right tones…

Grrr

Was away for the 4th, but got some work done this afternoon.

None of the “Guilford Gray” paints are correct for the Aristocraft color. Soooo, time to mix. I got it very close, after about half an hour. Close enough that weathering will cover the difference. It seems to be gloss/matte difference, so Im not too worried.

(http://i.imgur.com/HcMaH7yl.jpg)

and covering the wrong orange striping, the electricity warning label, and painting the brake wheel.

(http://i.imgur.com/kYhOBzzl.jpg)

Not too bad. Now to figure out the cab roof details, and find a horn. Sound card should be here tomorrow, so I can button it up.

So Bob what did you do about the running?
Richard

Maybe use a very light oil on each axle right where the single bearing is, to help with power pickup.

Ooops! Battery, aren’t U?

I dont think its the motor blocks. Its up on a stand now running, and its not going above a couple of amps. Ill swap out the Revo for the one in the boxcab and see what happens.

Short hood roof details just about done. Need to make a small vent for the engineer’s side, and then block the vent in the engineer’s front door with a panel.

Well I broke down bought a SD45 new one from Rob on sale.

Bob I found a pic. of a vent in the engineer’s door so you could have it both ways.

(http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv261/rich413_photos/ST_681_04.jpg)

Down that road lies madness. There is also a vent on the short hood, engineers side. Or not.

And the radio antenna is either a firecracker, or a Sinclair. Then the fans are wrong. And there are both front and back ditch lights. And two MU boxes on each end.

If you model 675, 676, or 677, they have the ratchet brake on the fireman side short hood, too.

Etc etc… Good luck!

:slight_smile:

I got you sorry

Dick

Here you guys thought dismals were easy to model…hah hah!

David Russell said:

Here you guys thought dismals were easy to model…hah hah!

Yes, I seem to recall someone else who made that statement a couple years back.

Got my Phoenix P8 yesterday, and got it installed today. The wire colors are a bit different than what’s on the OVGRS site, so I needed to figure it out myself! Horrors!

But, it works. Stock sound isnt bad, though I can do without the “All Aboard” and the cab chatter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72gqrXxh–Y

Ah, wonderful, more noise to annoy Fred…:wink:

Well, I should have my netbook with the software and my Phoenix cable for the Invasion - so we can tweak it a bit and get rid of stuff you don’t like.

It does sound nice.

I think the “All Aboard” needs to go, and the cab talk turned into something else. Dynamic Braking maybe? Can we tweak the bell, too? Inquiring minds want to know…

The bell has an electronic tone to it. Those SD45’s probably have a pneumatic bell. They have a slower rate of ring, and different tone/pitch as well.

You’ve got a dynamic brake grid on the locomotive, you might as well have the sound. Nothing is better than hearing a EMD in dyno’s grind down a hill :wink:

Buttoned her up, and installed the railings. The front one is broken, needs a bit of 4 minute epoxy, but its fine.

Cab/short nose details, except the firecracker antenna, are done. Long hood is done, except the two rearmost fans, still waiting for one to show up and get modified/painted.

(http://i.imgur.com/Jdmndy3l.jpg)

Next up, weathering…

On the sound, you may want to audition some of the other diesels on the Phoenix website to see if you can find a combination of rev, turbo, horn and bell that you like. I think I decided I didn’t like Phoenix’s SD-45 sounds, and went with a different EMD diesel. However, having never heard a real SD-45 run, my sounds are probably way off :]

Bruce can download all the latest sound files for free if he doesn’t have them already.

BTW - I really like the dynamic brake sound; so much so that my RS-3’s have the sound, but not the brake! So far no-one has complained.

I was wondering about that Bell sound. It sounded a heck of a lot like a “electronic” bell. I have not heard those before, is that something new in the east? All the UP and BNSF locos, along with regional DM&E, that I have heard lately use the “real” bell.

Some of you experts might know better, but didn’t the SD-45 and SD-40 use the same prime mover, but the 45 had some turbo upgrades and stuff?

Jon Radder said:

Bruce can download all the latest sound files for free if he doesn’t have them already.

Yep, I’ve got all the latest sounds. You can’t tell what the options really are until you actually load the file into the sound card; I can load a Shay in there if you like. :wink:

Whoa, is that how fast we’re supposed to build these?? Yikes, I’m a few months behind…at least.
Very nice. Bell is irritating!