Large Scale Central

Viaduct

Its not really trackwork, nor a building, so I guess I’ll put it in here. I have a set of raised benchwork that I don’t want to fill up to, so I decided I needed a viaduct! It will have a passing siding on it, and probably an industry spur. Its 15" wide, and about 20" at its highest point. I’m making it out of Azek, a pvc product. Pricey, but worth it, I think. Here’s where 4 hours of work got me.

2012-07-08_15-38-07_152

Im about half done with the other side, then its the through-walls, and some trim around the top. I plan on painting it with textured light/dark gray paint, same type of paint I used on the freight transfer, just a different color.

Big believer in PVC …Azek or others Bob. All my bridge abutments are made of that stuff.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/larry_mosher/BRIDGE/16.JPG)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/larry_mosher/visitville/v4.jpg)

Pretty impressive! Your layout is really going to look great for TrainOps. But, your topic just brought this to mind.

ok, that’s enough for today. Two more pieces of viaduct wall, and one bit of trim to go, and then I can paint it.

2012-07-08_17-50-17_88

2012-07-08_17-50-34_799

2012-07-08_17-50-41_912

Larry, what is behind the abutment wall to hold up the bridge? I have poured all my abutments out of concrete, but if this stuff is easier and will hold up under the elements, I will try it.
Ron

Hey great looking Viaduct!!! This comes just at the right time as I have decided to build a curved viaduct with double track for my mainline. It’s going to be about 12’ long, 20" off the ground, with a 20’ dia curve.

Bob or Larry, where did you buy your material and does it come in large sheets?

Bruce, great video, I love watching those guys.

Chuck

I bought 1x stock from Home Despot, but they also have 3/8" 4x8 sheets.

Wow Bob. Your layout is really coming along nice. The viaduct looks great.

Thanks Shawn. I got in a groove, had the neighbors kids watching, and it came out nicely, I think.

Really nice!

Very nice! Are you going for a cast concrete look or a block/stone look?

Cast concrete look. I dont have the patience (or want to spend the time) to make it look like stone blocks.

Wow, Bob- your viaduct looks great!

-Kevin.

Does the K fit under it? Don’t want to have to lift that up…:wink:

Sweet! Should be a real nice addition to the layout.

Yep, the K clears. And the tall caboose stacks, too! Got the major bits done, and all the holes filled and sanded. Started painting it, but the bugs drove me in.

2012-07-11_19-39-10_552

2012-07-11_19-39-31_400