Large Scale Central

Very interesting use of railroad artifacts in the garden RR

I found this on the OGR forum. Take a look at the use of the rail as a bridge. G&O News - The G&O is a garden railroad in San Leandro, CA (SF Bay Area). It consists of both G gauge and O gauge 3-rail lines.

“Forest fires are a fact of life in CA. The Thunder Mountain Lodge was a total loss as shown in the following photos. The O gauge mountain line runs directly in front of the lodge. The lodge’s front porch was a favorite place for train fans to sit and watch the action.”

“We expect that the lodge will be rebuilt sometime in the future. The G&O will be hosting a train show next weekend, Saturday December 1 and Sunday, December 2. All forum members are invited.” You can learn more about the show at the San Leandro Historical Railway’s website.

Nice! I like to use artifacts in the garden too. My collection isn’t quite as broad but it’s mostly recognizable stuff. Here is an early photo of my Rust Garden…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Walk-05-640.jpg)

I like it!
I have a genuine piece of the rack from the cog railway up Mount Washington in NH that I have been trying to fit into my layout for years now. I was originally thinking it would make a nice bridge similar to that piece of rail in the first photo. Our track fits nicely on top of it. I just haven’t found the perfect spot for it yet so it is a static conversation piece leaning up against a tree.

Cool stuff!!!

-Kevin.

And all I have on the layout are a few 90 lb. rail bridges, a couple of signals and a NS (Formerly N&W) Caboose!

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/logskidder/_forumfiles/FILE0007T.jpg)

Ken

Ken Wins!

second that Ken WINS!!!
My wife said I could buy a caboose put getting it here cost toooo much!

That’s awesome! My railroad artifacts are staying in the display case. They’re too valuable to sit outside, still that’s pretty clever.

Bart Salmons said:
Ken Wins!
LOL!!! Yep ....he does

Yeah, somehow I think the HOA might not approve of that… I think I’ll limit myself to my switch stand for the time being.

Later,

K

…what…only one, Kevin…!!

If I bought and had delivered a caboose it would be my permanent dog house!

I have the space for a caboose just not the money to buy one and have it delivered.

Shawn said:
I have the space for a caboose just not the money to buy one and have it delivered.
Well, Build one.... :)

Did you put lights on either one of them for the holidays?

Doug Arnold said:
If I bought and had delivered a caboose it would be my permanent dog house!
I could learn to live with that!!! Has everything I need...a stove, a bunk, a table to eat at and a great upstairs view.....:)

Bob C.

And if it had a pot belly stove I’d be happy. I already cut my own wood!

Having a caboose in your backyard is pretty cool. Having one on live rails is even cooler :slight_smile: This is Al Pomeroy’s restored Central Vermont caboose on the Naugatuck Valley Railroad (Operated by the Railroad Museum of New England). With a little luck I’ll be riding in it with Al tomorrow :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Post3/Flag75-06-12_03.JPG)

New winner :slight_smile:
Jon, I hope your luck holds up and I look forward to seeing the pictures :wink:
Ralph

Thanks Ralph. I just heard from Al and we are on for a very full day - Late morning until after 7PM (if I make it). There won’t be many pictures on the third run as it will be dark.