Large Scale Central

USA #6 Electric Switches

Greg uses air with an internal micro switch to control the frog, which sounds like a great idea.

For now, I just have three switches powered on the outdoor portion of railroad, due to access, everything else outside is hand throw.

The #6’s are used on the Wye leading in and out of the train room, which was built in 2011. Snow and rain has taken its toll on the machines.

If you go the choke cable route, look at model air plane control lines. They have a flexible (red) outer shell or semi rigid (blue) outer shell and a yellow inner rod. There are threaded rods on the ends and connecting buckles that are brass. I use them on my indoor switch yard and they work well. I have had a chunk outside for two years now from 95 degrees to -20 wind rain and snow. No break down and it’s still flexible, plus it’s cheap. I’m planning on adding it to my layout later on to avoid having to bend over to switch everything.

Terry

Nothing wrong with track power John. Dave Maynard stated the reason perfectly.
I am track powered and all my switches are manual. I like to follow my train around throwing switches and uncoupling cars. I do have a WYE setup and the one switch that is under a bush has a plastic tube with a greased up wire inside to move the points. Both ends of the tube run through stakes that are into the ground for stability.
I do have 4 switches that are powered on my yard bench using the LGB electric throws and so far so good. These are exposed to rain but not dirt etc…

Keeping things simple is cheaper and allows more time for fun and less time for maintenance.

progress on my test bed.

guess the black wires are hard to see. the three wires coming off are for the frog and points.

We used to put a bit of alcohol, pure denatured alcohol, into the brake lines of our trucks, to keep any moisture from freezing in the lines and rendering the truck brakeless. You don’t want a lot in there, just enough to keep the lines clear. Although, I do not know how the tubing for air operated switch motors would react to alcohol.

The idea of moisture in these lines is actually pretty silly.

First, if you are using an air compressor to power the system, and you don’t have at least a $15 air drier in it, well, that bad decision is probably the least of your worries in life.

Second, I guess the people speculating about this do not realize that these units vent out when released, i.e. any accumulated moisture would be purged each “release”.

Complete non-problem and red herring.

Greg

Just a bit of air is vented, I doubt its enough to purge the lines. I have an air dryer for my airbrush, but it didn’t cost me $15. I got it and the regulator for free from an employer a few decades ago.

David, first, with a dryer, little, if any moisture gets in the lines.

Second, it’s a little air, but always purging out in the same direction, so any moisture would not sit and accumulate.

Third, it would take a heck of a lot of water to freeze it up, i leave mine charged 24/7 and have never found moisture in the lines.

Again, anyone with a compressor should have an air dryer, they are cheap (or free)

Greg

Greg , rubbish .

Moisture does get into pipes/tubes . Don’t be silly .

I even tried (in desperation) my spray compressor fitted with two driers in tandem which I find essential when paint spraying . Moisture gets in , not so much , but you cannot completely stop it without using a pressure dessicant which are expensive , bulky and can only absorb a limited amount of moisture .

Your comment about the lines self purging does not hold up to scrutiny----the air passes along the pipe in spurts , so a lump of air goes from reservoir to switch in jumps . This air therefore spends some time in the pipe . So it takes a while to purge , as you put it .

After use , my compressor gets a blow down to remove moisture ; thus every time it starts up , it brings in fresh moist air .

Also , after use , I disconnect the pipe at the airbrush end and blow the moisture out of the pipe , it is pretty obvious from the amount of emulsified muck that comes out that moisture traps only trap so much .

If your supposition is correct (it isn’t) sell your system to aircraft fuel system engineers , they would sell their souls for a means of stopping water in fuel and hydraulic systems.

We also had a heck of a problem keeping waveguides dry , and in the finish had to accept that the waveguides and equipment had to be pressurised with dry nitrogen , which is expensive . So much so that although the RAF have nitrogen producing plant , the dry nitrogen had to come from the manufacturer as they had the means for making dry nitrogen for use in medical stuff .

The production of visible moisture happens with temperature change----survival equipment relies on this fact to provide water for downed aircrew . A device to collect overnight moisture caused by temperature changes is /was provided in survival packs .

Finally , my “moisture free” self bleeding pipes froze up in overnight frost .

So perhaps you can now explain your insulting remark about the matter of moisture in pipes being silly . Explain exactly how it can be completely stopped . Or make yourself look even sillier .

Mike

BTW, I use track power. Aside from the discussion regarding water in the lines (I don’t run in the winter), I use external microswitches to power my sidings.

On the right, across from the air piston, is the microswitch. The switch is located so that, when the piston is activated, the bar that supports the points makes contact with the microswitch. These microswitches run about $5 each and hold up well when exposed to the elements. Some have been out in the elements for over 6 years.

The rust around the piston is actually from the screws that hold down the pistom clamp. One more point, I mount my switches on sections of plexiglass to permit the installation of the pistons and microswitches.

Doc Watson

Great idea on the micro switch on the opposite side, Don. If my current plan fails, I am going to give that a try. I remember when air power started to make inroads into HO, I always thought it would take off.

Mike, so I can read all your post.

As usual, I say “little, if any moisture gets in the lines”

You say rubbish, and say “moisture does get in the lines”…

Another exaggeration, I did not say nothing ever gets in the lines.

This kind of argument I’m very familiar with… that someone says something, and the other person takes the statement, and twists it.

Not playing that game with you.

I have used this system for many years, and have 27 switches, a whole lot of tubing, and 2 intermediate air reservoirs.

So, since you have told me this won’t work, I’ve gone out the the railroad and torn it up and thrown it all away.

I used all the moisture collected to pipe back to the hoover dam to generate electricity and powered an entire city.

Right now the moisture from my system is producing enough power to run Las Vegas.

Thanks for all the tips and help.

Greg

HAHAHA !!!

Greg , as usual your response shows a certain lack of humour .

I used the word silly several times to make you understand that you don’t call people silly and then expect people to just sit back and take it .

Your response was trying to rubbish what I said . If you don’t know what you are talking about , it’s best not to get yourself in too deep .

You qualified your explanation by introducing a drier----read what you said . I said that air does get into pipes . So where was that wrong ? And so on .

I thought that this site was trying to promote the good running of garden railways , thus , if I see possible pitfalls , I shall let people know .

Sarcastic bumph does not help , and in the case of moisture in the pipes , obviously yours don’t get wet because of all the hot air you spout around them ; other people , not so blessed , have to use other means .

QED

Mike

I don’t think it matters what you use or do with the lines. I have heard this argument before and it goes along the same lines as others.

For the record, I know three people who use air. One uses dryers and collectors and the like, another goes to the gas station and fills an air tank and plugs it into the system the third uses a cheap air compressor with nothing on it. In this area we get all the seasons, -20 to 100+ with humidity that can rival Florida. Lots of snow lots of rain and lots of sunshine. None of the guys have problems with their air systems.

Terry

I can only reiterate , I have experienced it and so have others ; it came up as a problem in one of the model railway mags too .

Obviously , it is surmountable by several means , and I would not try to dissuade anyone from using it because it does work well and is a doddle to set up .

I just put up with it happening and unfroze it as required .

A point worth mentioning to the naysayers . Aircraft systems are vulnerable to moisture in compressed air and valves can jam up .

A near disaster at London Heathrow was caused by water in the fuel freezing the fuel feed just as the aircraft was coming in to land ; a brilliant bit of piloting averted a major crash , the aircraft landed short of the runway having glided for a couple of miles .

Because it hasn’t happened to you does not mean it can’t happen .

Mike

Mike I do not understand. I think Greg’s response had a nice sense of dry humor in it. I got a nice laugh before starting my day by reading his post.

One thing that will effect the amount of moisture in the lines, is the environment where your compressor is. Mine usually lives in my garage, so when I shut it down and drain the tanks, I get water. Sometimes I get water in my dryer/regulator set up for my airbrush. But when I had the compressor on the back porch to build my bridge, using the pin nailer, there was no water in the tanks after I used the compressor. I was in disbelief, so I tilted the tank to make sure all the water was out of the tank. There wasn’t any.

Greg lives in Southern California. The only water there is in people’s distant memory. :wink:

David , Greg’s sense of humour is as dry as the humidity in the very pipes of which he speaks .

I do understand about environment , really . I live in one .

I would draw your attention to the following quote from Greg’s post----

“The idea of moisture in these lines is actually pretty silly.”

Now re-read all that comes after with that comment in mind .

I have no wish to be drawn into further argument over this , and will reiterate , if someone implies insults , he cannot expect to get away with it .The getout clause at the foot of Greg’s posts seem to make him think that manners do not matter .

I would have said “I do not agree with that” , where he says “the idea of moisture…silly”

Mike