Large Scale Central

Upgrades at Peter's Pond on the IPP&W

Fred Mills said:

It is great to see young Paul Norton, back in stride, posting such a long note…

It should be celebrated that Paul has just survived the removal of his long cherished “Golly Bladder”. We have missed his good company over the past three weeks, and look forward to his company (Even his complaints !!) next Saturday…

Welcome back, Paul

It’s been a hell of a ride.

On the Sunday of the Victoria Day Holiday (one week before Memorial Day) I suffered a severe gall bladder attack. So severe I was injected with morphine in the ambulance and once again at the hospital so I was able to sleep.

Back home, I spent two days after that doing a lot of sleeping. My waking hours included wild temperature swings, no energy, and no appetite. Half a bagel and a glass of milk was a meal.

On the third day I had the shakes from Monday’s morphine injections. I felt physically and mentally exhausted.

It took three more days before I regained my appetite, and another week before I felt somewhat normal.

Over the last decade my normal weight was 243 pounds. Last May I lost 10 pounds after a mild attack laid me up for four days. After that I changed my diet to avoid another attack and trimmed off another 10 pounds over the year. My lower back pain which had nagged me twenty years disappeared. After this recent attack I dropped another 10 pounds and had to buy all new summer clothes. I went down a shirt size and two pant sizes.

This past Monday morning, I had my gall bladder removed. That day and the next two were just like those following my gall bladder attack. I began to wonder why I volunteered for surgery.

It took until today to regain regained my appetite, and will probably take another week before I felt somewhat normal again. This morning I weighed 208 pounds. My new pants now feel loose on me.

If you ever suffer a gall bladder attack and think you can avoid another by changing your diet and losing weight, forget it. The next attack will be 10 times more severe. Get the damn thing removed. I was surprised to learn how members of our small club have already had theirs removed.

Now I wonder if I can eat spare ribs again? That was the one thing I craved while dieting. I can almost taste that Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce.

Yeah, seems that the designer of our bodies left a few things in we could have done without, had real fun with a burst appendix myself.

Glad to hear you are on the mend, and while it’s not a fun way to diet, it surely must feel better going up stairs, etc.

Regards, Greg

Paul glad to hear your back on the your feet. So far I still have all my body parts.

Greg Elmassian said:

Yeah, seems that the designer of our bodies left a few things in we could have done without, had real fun with a burst appendix myself.

Glad to hear you are on the mend, and while it’s not a fun way to diet, it surely must feel better going up stairs, etc.

Regards, Greg

I was sitting in a grade 8 classroom when a stabbing pain in my right side doubled me over slamming my head against the desk. The next day I was in the hospital having my appendix removed. It was a pretty scary ordeal for a 12 year old.

The worst thing about it all was that I missed my last year of Little League baseball. Because I missed that year, I was not eligible for Babe Ruth baseball. I was 36 before I got to play organized baseball again. I made up for it by playing until I was 56, the oldest player by far in a 28 team league. My baby brother got asked by an opposing player if I was his father.

…winking…

Paul, am glad the operation and everything went good… heal quickly…

Glad it went well for you Paul. Mend quick.

Paul,

We could have done that for you at the marina. Always wanting to pick up extra work.

Haven’t done one before, but sounds not much different than a bilge pump.

I know you get free medical, but does it come with hot sauce?

Ric Golding said:

Paul,

We could have done that for you at the marina. Always wanting to pick up extra work.

Haven’t done one before, but sounds not much different than a bilge pump.

I know you get free medical, but does it come with hot sauce?

Ric, one thing that I learned in Navy Medicine is that the difference between a good butcher and a good surgeon is that, while they both know how to cut, the surgeon knows when to cut.

You may not be far off in your estimation.

Would you have put Paul up on a boat lift, or just crawled under?

:slight_smile:

Paul

My :wink: was for your baseball comment …my son is big into it and his last year of Little League however good to hear all is well on your end.

But what the hell does this have to do with Peters Pond and do all Canadians think the style is socks pulled up the calf with sandels or flipflops ? Back in the day of course!

David Russell said:

Paul

My :wink: was for your baseball comment …my son is big into it and his last year of Little League however good to hear all is well on your end.

But what the hell does this have to do with Peters Pond and do all Canadians think the style is socks pulled up the calf with sandels or flipflops ? Back in the day of course!

Back in the day (late '50s), we wore knee socks with shorts in our school uniforms, until we went into long trousers at 11 years old.

LSC rules!

With today’s “Glow Ball Warming”, it’s hard to get enthusiastic about anything but long johns and Winter clothing, let alone shorts and flip-flops…when is the Summer heat supposed to start…Around here we have few days that are up in the 20’s ©, in fact if I woke up tomorrow morning with a thin layer of ice on the pond; I wouldn’t be at all surprised…!!

Fred Mills said:

in fact if I woke up tomorrow morning with a thin layer of ice on the pond; I wouldn’t be at all surprised…!!

Hush, Fred, don’t give Mama Nature any ideas. The mid-May snowfall was quite enough.

I have been to Fred’s dressed in long pants, a T-shirt under a long sleeved shirt, and boots; while Fred and Doug are wandering with sandals on bare feet. I am one of those fashion faux-pas who wear white socks with sandals because I don’t like my feet sticking to the sandals, ballast and pines needles between my toes, or going home with dirty brown feet.

Why have we de-railed this thread? Because there is nothing more to say about Cedarock Industries until a new building or spur is added. If the pump fails, the pool may get filled in, and then we would have something to talk about. Although it may take another half year of vigorous debate to determine what that might be.

I hope I don’t run out of popcorn. This is fun!

If the pump fails and it is decided to abandon the pond, it would make a great deep pit quarry. You could build a bucket tram to bring stone crushed in the pit up to a tipple and maybe a switch back industrial railroad to get ore cars to the bottom.

Jon Radder said:

If the pump fails and it is decided to abandon the pond, it would make a great deep pit quarry. You could build a bucket tram to bring stone crushed in the pit up to a tipple and maybe a switch back industrial railroad to get ore cars to the bottom.

I think the idea is to fill it with ice and keep the beer cold and handy…:wink:

Jon…the pump isn’t the problem.

It’s the liner. The pond has a liner, and it is OLD. How long it lasts, is the question.

The idea of filling the hole with ice, to keep the bheer cold, is probably the best suggestion yet, but this new industrial park has all sorts of ideas for making a profit. The one that is never mentioned in public, is hazardous waste.

Everyone today wants to get rid of it, and with a hole that size, the railroad in place…heck we can make great profits just for hauling “Stuff” to the hole and dumping it. The big idea is that old dormant company; “Brunt’s Sewage and Sludge Works”, can finally be brought to life at this location…but don’t breath a word of this, or the do-gooders will cause all sorts of problems.

We have the fencing and razorwire on order !!

And here is what I envisioned!

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MqEDx0Sq1TA/S65wzNRAH7I/AAAAAAAAGnU/Rah7rfqxMy4/s800/IMG_4599.JPG?gl=US)From

Click on the pic for a full size pic with more detail.

Click below for an album with full details taken by Doug, myself, and some guy in the last picture cruising the 2010 contest table stealing ideas.

https://picasaweb.google.com/vtgrsociety/ECLSTS2010?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPTUqMuHnba1Bw&feat=directlink