Large Scale Central

Upgrades at Peter's Pond on the IPP&W

Jon Radder said:

Fred sent these pictures of last weekends work at Peters Pond on the IPP&W in Ottawa, Taken by Gord Bellemy.

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Andy/PetersPond-1.jpg)

Bruce, good question.

I would pick up the car here at Peter’s Pond, above, as there are 2 run-arounds!

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/New%20Track%20work%20IPPW%202013/CedarockProgress06_zps07e4643e.jpg)

Then you’d have to make sure the track in Spruce where the blue loco and car are now is clear so you would have room for both the locomotive and the car you need to place. And then you could place your car

I sure hope the shortest board to the far left has enough support for the operators that will naturally seat themselves there. It has a perfect view of Spruce just across the walkway!

Now, I am anxious to see where they place a shade device for all of this addition:-)

You guys are smart enough…you’ll figger it out…:wink:

It supposedly a Rock Quarry…from what I understand.

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/New%20Track%20work%20IPPW%202013/CedarockProgress03_zpsaa2eacf8.jpg)

Looks like the bottom of the quarry is already filled with water.

Are there plans to drain it before full quarrying operations begin?

Considering all the extra board space, I don’t believe that all the track in this area has been installed… A Rock Quarry made of PT wood is quite a novelty… :slight_smile:

hehehe

Neat and challenging, especially if the run around is down at Peter’s Pond.

Yes, switching this industrial trackage will take a bit of thought. It is not meant to be a freight yard; it is industrial trackage. When the crew runs up to this area; they have to do a bit of planning. They also have to make sure that their train is left in the clear at Peter’s Pond, so that passenger trains can use the station track, and the main track is clear.

Fred

There is no more trackage planned for the Cedarock industrial area.

Fred

Extra space is reserved for future buildings and details…such as a fuel tank, and storage shacks…possibly fencing to prevent anyone from finding out what hazardous crap is being mined or dumped…!!

Fred

That area that sticks out, has legs very close to the edge…it holds my fat arse, so it is good and solid.

Fred

Thank you, young fellow…

I had a long telephone conversation with Fred yesterday. Is there ever a short conversation with Fred? :wink: His take on the Peter’s Pond and Cedarock areas is this. Although this may vary depending on the direction you are headed through Peter’s Pond.

Leave your train on the siding closest to your feet at Peter’s Pond.

Clear any cars that may have been left on the team track for Norton Fisheries (AKA the line up to Cedarock), and place them on the mainline after receiving clearance from the dispatcher to do so.

Run up to Cedarock and draw any cars that your switch list instructs you to pull.

Run down and place them on the mainline.

Remove the cars from your train that you are instructed to drop at Cedarock.

Run up to Cedarock and place the cars on the appropriate spurs.

Run down to Peter’s Pond and place the Cedarock cars on your train.

Sort the team track cars, returning those that are to remain there and any you are instructed to drop.

Add any to your train that you are instructed to pull.

Reassemble your train and request clearance from the Dispatcher to the next location.

One has to consider that in that twenty-two years I have been running trains on the IPP&W, I have only seen Fred run a train twice. Here’s how I envision this will work.

About half way through my run, I arrive at Peter’s Pond and take the siding closest to my feet.

I clear a few cars left on the team track for Norton Fisheries (AKA the line up to Cedarock), and wait patiently for the radio to stop crackling so I can request clearance from the dispatcher to leave them on the mainline while I switch.

Return the cars to the team track after being denied clearance from the dispatcher who instructs me to return to the siding and reset the switches for the main for an approaching passenger train he identifies by a number which means nothing to me.

Wait patiently for ten minutes for the eastbound passenger train to pass.

I remove the cars on the team track a second time and wait patiently for the radio to stop crackling so I can request clearance from the dispatcher them on the mainline. After clearance is received, I start my run up to Cedarock.

While passing the gauntlet of people sitting in the shade at Mount St. Helens, I am stopped by a frustrated engineer with a diesel in his lap that he can’t get to run. After a few minutes I realize he has throw the battery switch to the charging position. I toggle the switch to the run position and check to ensure there is a link OK displayed and hand his diesel back to him.

My radio crackles. It’s the dispatcher requesting I remove the cars from the mainline for an approaching freight he identifies by a number which means nothing to me.

I return to Peter’s Pond, remove the cars from the mainline, take them to the team track, and reset the switches for the mainline.

I wait impatiently for ten minutes for an eastbound freight train to pass.

I remove the cars on the team track a third time and wait patiently for the radio to stop crackling so I can request clearance from the dispatcher them on the mainline. After clearance is received, I make my run up to Cedarock.

Upon arrive at Cedarock I see the same engineer his face red with anger about to pitch his diesel in the pond.

I drop my throttle in a rush to save his diesel from a watery grave and snatch it from his grasp.

“What’s the problem” I ask him.

“This * * * Revolution system is a piece of junk! The * * * thing doesn’t work!”

I check to see the battery switch is still in the proper position and it is. I ask when he last charged his battery pack.

“Last night” he yells now turning purple “but it’s an Aristo-Craft battery and charger and everything they make is a piece is of crap!”

I set the GP-40 back on the track and try the throttle. There is no response, and no link. And then I see it.

“What kind of diesel is this I ask him?”

“A GP-40 he responds snappily. Another piece of * * * Aristo-Craft crap that doesn’t work!”

“And what does it say on the first line of the throttle screen?”

“Oh, Dash 9 he mumbles in embarrassment. Sorry!”

He changes the cab number back one, pushes the throttle, and walks away following his locomotive.

My radio crackles. It’s the dispatcher asking me if I have finished switching Cedarock.

“It will be awhile” I respond.

He wants me to remove the cars on the mainline and reset the switches for the main for an approaching passenger train he identifies by a number which means nothing to me. The westbound I assume.

Not wanting to run the gauntlet at Mount St. Helens, I try to sneak by Fred delivering a two hour sermon on the virtues of PT lumber roadbed to a guest that has come see the trains run.

“Here’s Paul Norton” Fred shouts “he’s are resident electronics guru.”

I roll my eyes and shake the gentleman’s hand as Fred begins telling the life history of a man who’s name I have already forgotten.

“I have to clear the main at Peter’s Pond; perhaps you would like to help?” I ask the guest.

He quickly leaps from his chair and follows me, leaving Fred trying to squeeze in the last ten years of the man’s life as we walk away.

At Peter’s Pond I use my five-fingered helicopter to lift the cars off the main onto the team track. The guest looked perplexed.

“We usually use locomotives” I said, but my throttle is on the ground at Cedarock.” “Don’t tell anyone I did this”.

I walked him over to Mount St. Helens.

“Paul, what kind of resistor do I need for an LED headlight?”

“This gentleman would like to see the railway” I answer, and walk away quickly.

Returning to Cedarock I begin pulling the empty cars on my switch list.

My radio crackles.

It’s the dispatcher. He wants to know if I have finished switching Cedarock.

“I was just leaving with the empties for Peter’s Pond.”

Hoping he’s not looking my way, I once again use my five-fingered helicopter to pull the empties.

Not wanting to run the gauntlet at Mt. St. Helen’s, I see Fred at beer fridge with his back to me. I quickly slip by to Peter’s Pond with the empties under my arms. I slap them on the main at Peter’s Pond.

Just as I about to start picking the cars for Cedarock, Moe approaches and wants to know how long I will be before I finish. Everyone else is almost done and he wants to start firing up the grill for lunch. Go ahead I tell him, looking over his shoulder to see Fred has not returned to the crew’s lounge, I be done before it’s hot.

As soon as he leaves I throw the cars to be spotted under my arms, run them up to Cedarock, and slap them a couple of spurs. “Close enough for Government work.” I mumble. Grabbing my locomotive I slip back to Peter’s Pond.

My radio crackles. It’s the dispatcher wanting to know if I have finished switching Cedarock.

“I am all finished”.

“How was it?” he asks.

“Piece of cake” I lie as I quickly slap the locomotive on the front of my train.

“Can I have clearance Nelson Yard?”

Paul Norton said:

One has to consider that in that twenty-two years I have been running trains on the IPP&W, I have only seen Fred run a train twice. Here’s how I envision this will work.

What??? Fred has operated twice??? That’s like saying that all Indians walk in single file - at least the only one I ever saw did.

Your credibility is shot.

However, your description of what is likely to happen DOES seem accurate.

Very nice, Paul, and completely accurate, IMHO

Yup, that’s usually what happens on the WI&M, especially when rain threatens.

I love it… thanks, Paul… :slight_smile:

hmmmm…I must look into this more deeply…maybe I should stay closer to the bheer fridge…!!!

I could retire from the IPP&W management, and get a job working as an engineer, for Cedarock Industries. They have several 40 ton Diesels in storage. One of them could drop down to Peter’s Pond and pick up the inbound cars, and drop off the outbound cars, saving all the grief…but then Mr Norton would start complaining of short hours on his pay cheque…he likes the overtime…!! Besides he likes time at Peter’s Pond, sitting about waiting, and the chance to dip a hook into the pond…!!

All it would take is a short stub track, and an engine shed in the industrial complex…!!

Fr.Fred

It is great to see young Paul Norton, back in stride, posting such a long note…

It should be celebrated that Paul has just survived the removal of his long cherished “Golly Bladder”. We have missed his good company over the past three weeks, and look forward to his company (Even his complaints !!) next Saturday…

Welcome back, Paul