Large Scale Central

UP4014's schedule

Chased it from the bottom of the pass to Barstow. Ran into a number of friends including my nephew along the way. Post a pic or two later.

Check out the Tender!

The 4014 Hospital Train climbs Cajon Pass, rounding the curve into Summit

Profile of 4014 heading up the pass

4014 gets swarmed by the crowds in Victorville

4014 Departs Victorville

4014 Hospital train rounds a curve on its final meet before Barstow

Last photo is for Rooster…

Good pix!!..:wink:

Awesome pics, thanks for posting them!

I like the open air observation car behind 4014. Great pics.

Whats with the SUV and trailer on the flatcar at the end of the train?

I wondered too when I saw it but somebody is probably moving to Wyoming to take part in the restoration which is expected to take five years. I was surprised how many people were “taking a ride.”

Here it is Salt Lake City

The crane in the background is unrelated to Big Boys visit.

Scared me when I saw the crane. Is the SUV still on the flatcar?

Yes the SUV was on a flat in the train along with several others which were empty.

Was 4014 oil fired or did the UP build a platform in the tender for sightseers ?

Gary Buchanan said:

Was 4014 oil fired or did the UP build a platform in the tender for sightseers ?

I believe that only five Big Boys were oil fired. Not real positive, but remember reading this many years ago. 4014 WAS coal-fired!

And the answer is…

I heard Ed Dickens tell somebody in SLC that the 4014 would be converted to burn oil.

Yes…it will…The Challenger has been converted to burn oil…the UP is not interested in having a coal fired steamer apparently. In that same link it was mentioned that that was a reason for not bringing back at Big Boy at the time that was written…