Large Scale Central

Under pressure - modular layout

well, me and my bragging… i promised to prepare a small layout for the local hobby-exhibition in mid october. (this year, i fear) so i have to do something. it has to be transported, and it has to be expanionable for years to come. so a modular layout. i choosed 80 by 80 cm (80 cm = 2’ 8") with four modules just enough for a R1 circle. (in the future it may become an oval by additional moduls) the general idea is to model the local fauna and flora. (not just because it is easier to build a landscape flat as a pancake!) maybe in the future it will evolve into a more or less correct model of a former narrowgauge line we had in our area. i think, i will put up the pics of my missdeeds, as they come. because i am lazy and i got wifey’s permission (if it’s for the community and there is so little time…) i had the local carpenter make me the four modules. (here seen upside down.

i glued some styrofoam plates on the moduls (makes grassplanting easier)

the roadbed is from styropor as well.

after screwing down the track i wired everything. one connection per modul, cables connected between modules with plugs. (it wouldn’t be me, if i hadn’t mixed up wires and plugs - so, when i went for a test run, i had to re solder one connection to get rid of the short-out)

the messy part: a mixture of clayish sand, crackfiller and some squirts of toner for wallcolor for forming the earthen roadbed they used here. i decided not to use just white filler, because there evolve always spots, where the landscape cracks. and white cracks are worse to repair, than earthcolored ones.

trying to get the slightly washed out form by stroking the mixture with wet fingers.

being cautious, and to get a feeling for the material i started out with the two moduls, that will be at the back.

well, now i will wait, to see if i can go on in this way, or if i have to tear it up again. (and i can’t even fill between the rails today, because i ran out of crackfiller) to get the trees more or less like the local flora, i decided to make them from copperwire. the bush on the left is a remnant from a former layout. but as the very fine copperwire i used then is bending too easy, i decided to try thicker wire.

as is clearly seen, that gives me another problem. not enough twigs, to glue the green upon.

the solution - splicing additional twigs into the branches:

i think, i have to get yet another copperwire. thinner, than the thick one, and thicker than the one i used before. will be continued…

Wow Korm you got your hands full, when I did the first Pizza it took me from basically where you are now (track on board) from April, 2 months to finish it in time for the BTS in June, so 2 months is very doable depending on how detailed you plan to make it. Keep it simple to start, you can always add to it later. Good luck.

yes, time is short.
but a third of the layout will be forest. about a dozen trees. one quarter will be pasture (just plugging hemp-fibers into the styropor)
most work will be the plowed field, the vegetables garden, corral, pigpen and two buildings.
if there is time left, i will make some figures. if not, i use commercial ones i got.
and (a big AND) there does not exist any competition! i am the only modeller in a 300 miles radius. so, anything i put up, is the best, people will see.

the roadbed cracks up, when drying. a repaint will be necessary.

Wow Korm. With the price of copper these days that can get to be an expensive tree. Dont let the by-standards know or that tree might disappear from the layout to be turned into the local recycling center.

yes, the copper needed for a dozen trees costs about three quarter of what i paid for the four modules.
but aluminium wire or florist wire dont hold the paint as well.

the base is done. now the fun starts.

the farm i’m going to build inside the circle needs people. i started wit the farmer’s wife, milking a cow. she still needs a bit of paint on arms and legs)

I sure hope that plaster doesnt start cracking while your moving it about, that was the primary reason my pizzas are all foam, no plaster as I didnt want to risk it breaking up while I tossed it about getting it into and out of a show.

i do not get foam here.the coarse styropor is the “best”, they sell here.
the mix contains lots of clay, hoping that it will stay somewhat flexible.
and the show is less than two miles from my home. (i am prepared to drive ther at a mindbreaking speed of about 5mph)

Jake Smith said:
Wow Korm. With the price of copper these days that can get to be an expensive tree. Dont let the by-standards know or that tree might disappear from the layout to be turned into the local recycling center.
Depending on the scale one can get a lot of trees out of welding cable. Best source the welding shop that just did a number on one of those by dropping some heavy stuff on it. ;) :)

Regarding the styrofoam/plaster combo: not to worry, we move whole layouts that are built with that method. Wouldn’t want to do that with hardshell scenery, one poke and “Look Ma, a new tunnel!”

@ Korm

What you’re looking for is StyroDur. The soft stuff crumbles too easily, but it is great for making tunnel portals and retaining walls in the smaller scales, real easy to carve the stone block joints.

Korm Kormsen said:
the farm i’m going to build inside the circle needs people. i started wit the farmer’s wife, milking a cow. she still needs a bit of paint on arms and legs)

(http://kormsen.info/figuren/bilder/melkerin.JPG)

With a “caboose” like that no wonder she needs a solid 16"x16" beam to sit on. :slight_smile: :smiley: :lol:

yes, she’s got a well defined point of gravity. and yes, the beam looks a bit too solid. but i’m working on it.

nothing interesting going on. just the necessary preparations. beams 5 by 3 (mm!) and posts boards and battons for the stable painting reeds and grass from paintbrushes and hempstrings colouring foilage from sawdust colouring moss for twigs and brush all these things, you northerners get from your hobbyshop.

found some nice vegetables for the garden. that were buttons for (oldfashioned) woemen’s blouses… cut them flat on the back and gave them a little spray.

Korm Kormsen said:
yes, she’s got a well defined point of gravity.

(http://kormsen.info/figuren/bilder/melkerin2.JPG)

I dunno, some of the critters I see rolling around the local Wal-mart ain’t no less “well defined”. Not that I’m Slim Jim, either (as my doctor persists in pointing out) …

Chris Vernell said:

Korm Kormsen said:

I dunno, some of the critters I see rolling around the local Wal-mart ain’t no less “well defined”. Not that I’m Slim Jim, either (as my doctor persists in pointing out) …

Now that you mention it - I think I saw her in WalMart tonight…

Steve Weidner said:

Chris Vernell said:

Korm Kormsen said:

https://kormsen.info/figuren/bilder/melkerin2.JPG

Now that you mention it - I think I saw her in WalMart tonight…

hey! if you see her again spending money, please tell Lucille to come back. there are more cows to milk, and the children and the fields need to be looked after too!

Korm Kormsen said:
hey! if you see her again spending money, please tell Lucille to come back. there are more cows to milk, and the children and the fields need to be looked after too!
Now there's a blast from the past ... I'll have that darn tune in my head all night :(

Korm Kormsen said:
yes, she’s got a well defined point of gravity. and yes, the beam looks a bit too solid. but i’m working on it.

Nothing wrong with the caboose some people like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKO_En39l9c Great work so far Korm.