Large Scale Central

Tunnel Portals - Easy with the right tools

Several of you helped me decide on a table saw this past spring. I also read everyone’s comments on pin nailers and bought a small compressor that came with 3 nail guns, one being an 18g gun. With these new tools I was able to strip down some old 4x4 PT I found into 3/4" strips and nail together some tunnel portals. I looked at some pictures I found on the net to help get an idea how to make them look. Then I just cut and nailed until I got what I thought looked good. Having the right tools made this project doable.

Ugly tunnel entrance

Testing the fit.

Good portable tools makes it a lot easier.

Another tunnel portal.

I used special walnut for the stain.

Now I got to do something to the inside of the tunnel. Thanks for everyone’s help with the tools.

Thanx for the pix…looks good!

Nice work.

Nice work Ward. One thing is that 18 guage nail gun is a brad nailer. A pin nailer uses 23 guage wire,great for really small stuff. That brad gun should do you just fine.

Dave

good looking portals…

Looks good and nice work…the right tools always help the job along.
Dave M is correct …you actually have a brad nailer and this has worked for me so far.
I would probably be dangerous with a pinner :wink:

David Russell said:
I would probably be dangerous with a pinner ;)
I can state for a fact that I am.

I have managed at one time or another to pin one of my fingers to the work bench…:wink:

Somehow, this reply ended up in the wrong thread yesterday…

Very nice looking portals. I agree about the portable tools. Mine are not, so I load them up in the garden trailer and haul up to the railroad with a garden tractor. Much quicker working where the job is rather than traveling back and forth to the saw etc.

Ken Brunt said:
David Russell said:
I would probably be dangerous with a pinner ;)
I can state for a fact that I am.

I have managed at one time or another to pin one of my fingers to the work bench…:wink:

Been there done that with 2" finish nails on a Paselode butane gun. The nail will follow the grain “EVEN ON FIR”…
blew right out of the side of the piece I was holding.

Very nice work! I really like the color stain, looks great on those portals.

Thanks guys!,

Now I have some experiance I am planning on a bridge and some trestles.

Ward Hutton said:
Thanks guys!,

Cool!
We want pictures!!!

David Russell said:
Cool! We want pictures!!!
You can't handle pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):):slight_smile:
Are you saying that with the Jack influence ??
Your right I can’t!!!
I love Jack…
Red Rum

Ward Hutton said:
Thanks guys!,

You may want to consider adding a 23ga pinner to your repertoire. They are great for holding a glue-up until it is dry without showing a head or splitting the wood.
Bill

Bill Gebhardt said:

Ward Hutton said:
Thanks guys!, Now I have some experiance I am planning on a bridge and some trestles.

You may want to consider adding a 23ga pinner to your repertoire. They are great for holding a glue-up until it is dry without showing a head or splitting the wood. Bill

I’ll second that. The pinner made building my first scratch built car a breeze… [url=lsc.cvsry.com/EBTTank/Wood_Flat_6_1200.JPG]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/EBTTank/Wood_Flat_6_700.JPG)

[/url]Click to enlarge

I think Ward has probably seen this pic before, but others may not. The management of the O&NF were impressed with the Moffat Tunnel (East Portal) and decided that they would have a similar portal built.

Lightweight building blocks were sawn and carved into shape. There are two tunnels on the line: this one is named Oshkosh Tunnel.

http://www.lscdata.com/dirlist.php?id=great_western

This link was supposed to accompany the previous post. Ah! well. I’ll get used to things eventually.

Here’s your photo Alan…

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/great_western/_forumfiles/ONF%20RR1%20003.jpg)

Looking good :smiley:

Aw! Thanks John. As Sheriff B.T.Justice would say “much obliged” lol