Large Scale Central

Triple O -- 2022 Plans & Objectives

Last year, I discovered that committing to a build “campaign”, the so-called Rehabilitation of the Missiles Sponges, helped focus our efforts, our learning, and my spending. Even though I didn’t pull it all off (one loco done, one done enough, and a third put back on the Track of Perpetual P
uttering), it was a good tool, so I thought I’d try it again this year.

Repair.
-Charlie, O.S.'s B’mann railtruck. This is ongoing, is our first post-Mik project, and has priority over all else this year. Call me Ishmael…
-North Star, our shop queen B’mann 4-6-0.

• Diesel Dan, Kid-zilla’s clean machine. It powers up when we swipe the magnet, but won’t start, and then shuts down.

**Build / Re-build

• Crane car. I promised this to Kid-zilla. It is #2 after Charlie the Railtruck. Trucks and wheels are on hand, as are plans for a flat car (last year’s Annual from White River Productions) and a simple crane (from the GR compendium). Time to bring out my nemesis, Table Saw, and see if I can master a straight cut!
  • Pump house. My father-in-law’s water tower needs an upgrade. I plan to use this project to see how far I can go using only foam.
  • Bucket-o-Trains. I picked this up last January. There are a lot of “micro-projects” in this lot of battered LGB, U.S.-profile cars, ranging from new doors to truss rods.

The idea, as always, is to see how much I can source from local craft, hobby, and hardware stores. Since some of these are beat to a pulp, I may go “all in” and repaint, re-roof, re-letter, etc.

Of course, all of this is subject to life, job, and circumstances, but it is nice to have a plan!

Eric

2 Likes

Plenty of stuff for us to watch comment on, and enjoy. I may have to copy this idea and come up with a similar “plan”

My goodness! Half the year is gone by! Here’s where we stand:

Repair

• Charlie the Railtruck. Done! See: Onward the Pequod – Getting a B’mann Railtruck to Work Permanently
  • North Star, our shop queen B’mann 4-6-0. Not started. Not scheduled.
  • Diesel Dan. Done! (perhaps “Dumb”). After fieldstripping and testing everything, I contacted Del at GScale Graphics. He suggested I makes sure my batteries were fully charged. Oooops…

Build / Rebuild.

• Crane Car. In progress. See: Crane Car for the Triple O
  • Pump House. Not started. Not scheduled.
  • Bucket-o-Trains. Started, not documented. I did scale the scope of this project back a bit due to other emergent projects (MOW, Olomana’s engine burning out, losing a war with Sabre Saw, etc.). Things were starting to get damaged lying around, so I realized the immediate issue was to get things serviceable, out of the work area, and into proper storage. The focus will remain crafting replacement parts with locally sourced materials. Painting and numbering will go to a different project (we already have a couple in mind!).

Thanks for all the assistance along the way!

Eric