Large Scale Central

Trestle Design & Construction on the V&T

Thanks Bob, the bandsaw info towards the end looks very helpful.

Thanks very much Dan, a good testimonial.

And thanks everyone for your tips and recommendations. I’m hearing a consistent theme to buy quality. Even my wife is saying to go for it!

So now the choice is between the Rikon and Grizzly. I wrote Grizzly, they said that their 5% new buyer discount should apply to a first time order; last might it wasn’t, so we’ll see. But I also learned that my local Woodcraft store can get the Rikon in a couple weeks (no shipping fees for me).

Looking at feature comparison now…

Yeah Bruce, I blew over an hour last night doing that very thing, haha!

Was very educational.

My two options:

Grizzly: 1hp, 6" throat
add-on’s: wheels and 3 blade assortment
cost, with shipping and tax, after 5% discount: $1313

Rikon: 1.5hp, 13" throat
add-on’s: wheels and 3 blade assortment
cost, with tax (no shipping needed): $1785

The Grizzly features seem to me more than enough; I’m not a cabinet maker / pro woodworker, so I have to draw the line somewhere. And now that I’ve cleared up some billing issues with customer service, it seems the way to go.

I’m on a work trip this week, so have more time than usual to drag this all out, haha! But again, THANKS EVERYONE for your thoughts.

Check your local Craigslist. There’s always lots of tools for sale.

I agree; I’ve been checking for a few days, but the timing’s not been right yet.

Yea, it never is. I was seeing various pieces of equipment, and then when I want to actually get one, I dont see them.

You guys need to STOP putting me on craigslist !

Staying on topic!!

Martic Forge^^^^ Not Safe Harbor as below!

48110878958_01548d9b23

I believe it’s about 45 minutes out Rt 372 from Kens …Just saying. But fear the steel and stay away from Martic Forge as you will easily become a STEEL convert.
Can I get an Amen!

Amen Brotha Rooster!

Cliff, are you on Facebook. There was a guy selling a Rikon for $300 (I think) in ths G Scale swap group. His ad will get pulled soon as off topic.

Thanks Jon. I looked, but the only rikon I saw was a 10" benchtop.

Here’s the other two trestles on the list. Vastly simpler! But still needed, since the same plywood temporary bridges are wanting replacement.

The prototype is the twin bridge arrangement near the Ophir Mine, on the north end of Virginia City.

Ophir watkins w4148 cropped

Here’s the initial model, created about 10 years ago. Needs updating, but still seems like it meets my site conditions (which require much shorter trestles), while more or less reflecting the prototype.

The two through-truss bridges spanned Mill Street, back in the day. Today, it’s all filled in.

I’d had guard rails modelled in, but since the prototype didn’t have them, I took them out.

Nice looking!

Have you come up with a solution to your bandsaw problem? :innocent:

Thanks for asking Bruce. I’m waiting for my tax refund to go for the Grizzly. OTOH, I’ve got a couple inquiries out to old Delta sellers on Craigslist, but they haven’t responded.

Looking forward to seeing you (and that aluminum you mentioned :grin: ) a couple days from now!!

Oops, I better go look for that,

1 Like

I have a shop full of Delta equipment, very good stuff.
Be aware that Delta was bought by a chinese company a while back and doesn’t get
as good reviews as it once did :cry:
Check to make sure it is from the “american made” generation…

1 Like

Thanks Steve, and I guess that’s why the newer Delta’s look exactly like the Rikon’s and others of that price range, and nothing like they used to.

Truth in advertising, it was a Taiwanese company. A friend was shopping for a
table saw a few years back, and asked my recommendations. I started to send him
a link to the saw I have and noticed it had a pretty poor rating on the seller’s site.
Did some further research and found out about the change.

Is it done yet?

Repeating for the 20 character limit post!

A better question:
Has it started yet?
:nerd_face: