Large Scale Central

TrainOps to JMRI

Bruce Chandler said:

Cool.

That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to get to.

So, what’s the right combination of check boxes?

Yea, howdyoudothat?

Not sure this is all-inclusive, but I’m pretty sure these are the ones that made the biggest difference. In Trains/Tools/Manifest Print Options

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/trainops/ManifestOptions.jpg)

Set the Font & Font Size

under Manifest Options check only what you really want (see manual for explanation of each check box)

Add a logo if you like.

You can also get rid of some of the detail each line prints in the Pick Up Car and Set Out Car Message Format like color which on my RR is almost always Brown or Oxide

Next in the Trains window itself,

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/trainops/Trains.jpg)

Un-Check Build Reports and Preview. When Preview is Un-Checked the Print button appears.

Note that in my Train Window the train has been built; otherwise the screen will have different options.

P.S. If you have Adobe Acrobat or some other PDF printer, that is a good tool for tweaking reports without wasting a bunch of paper & ink.

Also, remembering that Switch Lists are by location and Manifests are by train makes it easier to get what you want. We generally want Manifests, but for a big operation with a yardmaster, you might want to print out a Switch List for the Yardmaster for only his yard (select Locations to print with Switch List button)

Now, my question is does that refer to that specific train, or will that apply to other trains you make up?

If you built an EBX2 would it do that same thing for EBX2?

I tried the Logo and it printed out right over top of it.

The options are system wide, so yes - applies to all trains.

On the logo, yours is probably too big. The file I used is only 77 x 102 pixels.

Thank you so much, Jon! That works just the way I want it to. Good tip on printing to a PDF file.

Heh, I might be starting to understand this a bit more - especially since Jon explained the difference between switch lists and manifests.

Anyway, I got tired of printing to a PDF all the time, so I just checked the box “Preview” - now the button says PREVIEW and I can quickly view it without printing it. If all is OK, I un-check the “Preview” box, and now it immediately changes to “PRINT”. Cool.

You guys keep playing with it, and I’ll keep reading…:wink:

Im having trouble getting consistant service to industries. It looks like it wants to move cars to the far end of the rr instead of intermediate industries. Not sure whats going on yet, looking at the build reports.

Tried a few things Jon suggested and now the manifest shows pick-ups in one color and set outs in another.

Even got the logo looking OK…

Now…if I can remember all this…:wink:

Have you tried the aggressive mode, Bob? Or maybe longer trains. I was just experimenting with longer trains out of one location… so instead of 5 car train length, I set it up to 6 cars to get an extra car. Changes things up a bit.

Yea, im using agressive mode. At Williamsport, I only get the occasional car for the car float, or Peter’s pipes, but the warehouse and coal dock get regular traffic. Moves per location maybe.

Hmm. Is the float pretty full? Could be moves, but I thought you had made moves pretty big already? Or, perhaps car type?

No cars on the float.

Float length: 160 feet. Serviced by both east and west trains. Takes boxcars, flats, gons, hoppers.

No trains built right now.

Lots of cars available at Burke yard.

Hit “Build”

Only work at Williamsport is a flatcar for Peter’s Pipes.

AH, its train length alright. Hmm. Its already filled with 7 cars. But one is going end-to-end. Hmm.

I built a second train running the same route, It only services Will’s Coal, and its running TWO cars end to end. I bet that’s an option somewhere to turn off.

Stranger and stranger. What if you build the second train first?

Oh. Our “yards” are actually spurs not yards. So the far end is really just another industry.

Gah.

What are you guys using for your yards? Spurs or yards?

Trick question. One yard as a yard, with one spur. The other end of my layout is a set of staging tracks.

Yea, i think thats what it is. Its moving a tank car and gondola to the far end, since its a spur that takes any kind of car. Ill try making both Burke and Franklin Falls an actual yard and see.

Ok, changing both to yards moves different cars, im getting two to the freight house and one to the float now. Still getting through cars, though. Not sure why. But this is better. Im arriving with full trains, the two I ran yesterday only had a couple cars at the end.

Delores is a yard, with 2 spurs, Burns Jct is a classification/interchange.