Large Scale Central

TrainOps to JMRI

Bob, On my RR I kept the spur length to actual…and it seems to work quite well. I do recall Ken saying he made some of his spurs a bit longer.

It seems like this could work…

I measured all my sidings over the weekend. Wow, that was a task and mine is a very small railroad. I’ve yet to actually begin the set-up. I think I need to un-learn all the stuff I did to get TrainOps to work the way I wanted it to.

So I guess I’ll try actual length and see how it goes.

Thanks Bruce. I have all mine measured and in, and it seems to generate ok trains. We’ll see how a busy day of ops works out. We might end up tweaking things…

I did have it set on “Aggressive” mode and that seemed to work very well. I haven’t tried it yet in any other mode.

One thing I plan on doing is adding another siding in Delores. As of now I have Both Eastbound and Westbound trains leaving Delores and stopping at the Burn JCT interchange first I want to try to eliminate the EB train from going there first and just have it stop there at the end of the run. And eliminate the WB train from stopping there at the end of it’s run.

Yea, there’s still a bit of tweaking that can be done.

Oh and BTW, if I haven’t mentioned it before, thanks Bob, for recommending that program. While I did feel a little bit like it was a betrayal to switch to it from TrainOps, I do understand your reasons. And I have to agree with Bruce…it does need a better name…:wink:

Right -a Java Model Railroad Interface" sound more like a way to deliver your coffee via tank car than an operations program :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:

I measured all my sidings over the weekend. Wow, that was a task and mine is a very small railroad. I’ve yet to actually begin the set-up. I think I need to un-learn all the stuff I did to get TrainOps to work the way I wanted it to.

So I guess I’ll try actual length and see how it goes.

Jon,

You will be pleasantly surprised at how close this is to TrainOps; it just has a bunch of extras that I know Bob had thought about including, but never had the time.

Make sure you use scale feet for everything - car length as well as sidings and everything should come out OK. DO NOT enter actual inches for anything - unless you model 1/32.

Does anyone know if JMRI can be set up with multiple databases? When I measured my sidings I created a spreadsheet with the Actual length; 1:20.3 length and 1:29 length using the Scale Calculator from the LSC front page. Initially I will set up using the 1:20.3 sizes, but would eventually like to set up my 1:29 stuff as well as a different railroad.

Slow at work today; reading the Operations manual for JMRI. This little tidbit may help Bob with his spur length hack…

Normal Aggressive
There are two build train options, normal and aggressive. Normal is recommended when you are beginning, as Normal builds guarantee that when a car is delivered(set out) by a train that there will be track space available for the car.

Aggressive builds makes the car’s track space available as soon as a car is scheduled for a pickup.

I never went out and “Physically” measured my spur lengths, I just guessed at it using a typical cars length, ie: 28’ car, I can fit 3 at that spur, so I made it 100’, 2 cars on that spur, make it 75’. Some spurs are actually longer then that, but this will limit the amount of cars that can realistically be set out on them. Having 2 or 3 cars sitting on a siding seem to look better to my eye. at least. then a 5 or 6 car string sitting there.

Burns Jct physically has 7 tracks. I just made it in the Locations as an interchange with 3 500’ tracks, mainly because 3 tracks are all that I can physically back a train into. Getting to the rest of the tracks requires a whole lot of switching that I wouldn’t have room to do with a loco.

How 'bout TrainOps 2.0? or 3.0 or whatever?

Steve Featherkile said:

How 'bout TrainOps 2.0? or 3.0 or whatever?

See this thread: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/19561/train-ops-the-program-and-the-f

And along that line, here’s a different icon to use…so you’re not looking at “PanelPro” :wink:

http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/thejoat/icons/train.ico

You’ll want to right click on that link and save it somewhere on your computer.

Then, right-click on the “PanelPro” icon, select properties, then change icon. Point it to where ever you stored the icon - if you can remember that long ago.

I just renamed “PanelPro” to “TrainOpsII”…:wink:

Besides, Right Clicking on anything in that program doesn’t do anything…which is why I had to scan the Switch List and Text Editor version…:wink:

Good name! But the new icon makes it look even better. :wink:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/thejoat/icons/Train.JPG)

Jon Radder said:

Does anyone know if JMRI can be set up with multiple databases? When I measured my sidings I created a spreadsheet with the Actual length; 1:20.3 length and 1:29 length using the Scale Calculator from the LSC front page. Initially I will set up using the 1:20.3 sizes, but would eventually like to set up my 1:29 stuff as well as a different railroad.

If you bring up the main PanelPro window, you can do “Panel/Save Panels” and give it a second file name.

It does stand out more…:wink:

Bob McCown said:

Jon Radder said:

If you bring up the main PanelPro window, you can do “Panel/Save Panels” and give it a second file name.

Thanks Bob - I see that and I’ll play around with it. I think it makes sense for me to set up everything except cars and then do the Save Call one FN3Ops and another G29Ops.

OK - Time to think out my physical layout. For TrainOps I got around the inability to do Out and Back or Turns by calling one of my indoor yards (KIST) the Eastern Terminus and the other (TYRE) the Western Terminus when in fact they are right next to each other fed from opposite sides of a balloon track/ Here is the schematic…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/cvsr_in_schem-08-640.jpg)

I know it really doesn’t matter because I can set up Routes any way I want them, but I’d like my locations to be in order as they appear on the main when sorted by by ID number, so I need to enter them in order… My dilemma is do I stick KIST on the end like I did in Train Ops, or make it more like reality.

Bruce Chandler said:

Now, I just copy all of this into Word, enlarge the font so my old eyes can read it, and print it out.

Very easy, and much better. For instance, when you choose to print the manifest, it will not tell you how many cars you are leaving with! That would have been handy today…

I’ve spent a few hours this evening experimenting with Switch Lists and Manifests while referring to the on-line Operations manual along the way. By carefully setting the Manifest Print Options and the right combination of Check boxes on the bottom of the Trans window, I can get a very nice, large print Manifest that has all the work, car counts and comments that I liked from TrainOps all directly to my printer…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/trainops/EBX_Manifest.jpg)

It does run on to a second page, but you get the idea.

Only trouble I see in reading through it is that it thinks I’m Northbound after leaving the northern terminus at Northville. I think I’ll try running this train tomorrow.

Cool.

That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to get to.

So, what’s the right combination of check boxes?