Large Scale Central

TrainOps to JMRI

Try changing the car float to a yard, since basically that’s what it is, it’s just a “moving” yard…:wink:

Or, maybe make it an interchange?

Bob - In the Train Build Options you might try un-checking Allow Cars to travel from Origin to terminal if you only want to carry cars for set-out along the route. I’m going to try this.

Allow cars to travel from origin to terminal#### Normally the program allows cars to travel from the train’s departure location (origin) to its last location (terminal). Deselect this option if you don’t want the train to carry cars from the train’s origin to the terminal.

I ran two trains over the weekend. Train #1 went well, but Train #2 was a huge challenge. I have my maximum train length set too long for both my grade and my Wye tails. I managed to get up the grade with a long train, but had to do some very creative runs around the Wye to get all cars delivered and picked up plus turn the entire train to keep my magnetic air hoses properly oriented. Took me almost two hours to serve three industries.

Hm, where is this option, Jon? I cant find it…

Bob,

I don’t know if you saw this on the JMRI board: http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/jmriusers/message/97616 - he treats the car float as a train! A neat idea, as you could have imaginary staging tracks at the other end and enable the staging tracks to switch loads to empties.

Another message: http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/jmriusers/message/97560

This one discusses it as an interchange: http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/jmriusers/message/97576

Anyway, lots of different ideas.

Bob McCown said:

Hm, where is this option, Jon? I cant find it…

From the on-line manual;

“In the edit train window menu under “Tools->Train Build Options” are additional options for building a train. You can control which car roads, load, owners, and built dates the train will service.”

I didn’t have an easy time finding it either. Click on the Edit button for a train to get the Edit Train window , then under Tools pick Train Build Options.

Bingo. Made the car float an interchange, and turned OFF that option Jon found:

Scheduled work at Williamsport, estimated arrival time 00:04

• No locomotives on the car float.
  • Must switch using idler car.
  • Load evenly side to side. If uneven number of cars, leave extra car on dock.
    [ ] Set out GBX 44 Tank car 30’ brown E to Car Float
    [ ] Set out DRGW 55 Refrigerator 30’ Yellow L to Car Float
    Train departs Williamsport Eastbound with 5 cars, 170 feet, 173 tons

Better

Oh, those are some neat options you found, Jon. I’m almost sorry that I don’t have a requirement for helper service, that looks pretty cool too.

Bob, you can also set up the interchange to not allow home road cars, or to only allow certain roads. Or even car types.

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you could help me please? Firstly been following this thread and many thanks for the help with JMRI, much appreciated!

My problem is that I understand that the program only swaps loaded and empty cars in staging? The two start and end points for my RR are staging and as such I would like to be able to change cars etc and rebuild new trains, but in staging it only handles one complete train and you can’t seem to break it down.

I tried setting them up as interchanges or yards which seems to work well until all fill up with loaded cars then the program stops generating new movements. I would ideally like that a complete train could be built up in staging, run around the RR, then return and thus allow all the stock to be free for something else, is this possible?

Many thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Gavin

Welcome Gavin -

I think there is an option that will allow this; something like “allow local moves”. I’m not at home to look until late Sunday.

Thanks for the help. I tried that but it still doesn’t seem to be able to sort it out.

I think my problem is that I would like to simulate a larger classification/engine/caboose yard offstage but JMRI just treats staging as a complete train. We have a large storage shed on our line with a yard where trains run in and out from, and thus when we operate this is a large city or destination point for example with this type of yard setup. We also have a separate dedicated loco track and a caboose track too where the engines and caboose are placed after a train is broken down.

When I setup it up in JMRI as a classification yard, with an extra caboose & loco track it works like a treat, but after a few rounds the cars slowly stop moving as they are all loaded and won’t change to empty. If I set it up as two staging points, it basically just moves one full train round the RR and back, without breaking it up or allowing any change of stock.

Any thoughts or ideas with this would be gratefully received!

Kind regards,

Gavin

Hay Gavin -

After reading your last post I think you are way ahead of me on understanding little details and options of the software, so I probably can’t be of much help.

I do have a clearer picture of what you want it to do for you, and agree that Staging is probably not what you are looking for.

It’s not the best solution; but if you stuck with your classification yard idea, after a few runs you could go in and edit the cars and change them back to Empties.

Thanks again Jon, I appreciate your help!

That’s what I thought, but I just wish there was a way I could select all the stock and make them empties instead of each one. Or even if I could set it up so that I could set the industries could ship a specific commodity to the yard as if it was a consignee, thus emptying the car on delivery?

I’ll keep playing and post my findings! Many thanks again for the input.

All the best,

Gavin

You could always do what I had to do to get TrainOps to do something similar…

Split the yard in half. Call one half Industry A and the other Industry B and make the yard a Spur rather than a yard. Make a Route from A to B via the point out on your RR where you want trains to pass. Make one train to run A to B then another B to A.

Thanks Ken, Bob and Bruce for your help at the start of this thread. I even made it offishul by clicking your “kiss me thank you” buttons. Cheers!

I will be reading the rest of this thread over the next couple of days…

Just don’t be afraid to ask questions. It can seem pretty complex; not that I’m an expert, but I still think I can get you through most issues.

Just don’t be afraid to ask questions. It can seem pretty complex; not that I’m an expert, but I still think I can get you through most issues.